Higher Grab rates

elgenon

Just read that Softbank's investment fund owns shares in Grab and Uber and more on-demand taxi services. They are telling the companies to divide up the world market so that they can raise the rates and make more money. That is why Uber exited SE Asia which has been given to Singapore's Grab. Uber got North and South America and, I think, Australia. So Grab now has the power to raise rates. Enjoy it my friends. Yikes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect it’s not a linear as that.  Given that from a global basis, the notion of a ride-sharing/ride-hailing platform is still well within its infancy, I think the issue really is more to do with expansion - and all the issues/problems and regulatory matters - that come with it... and to that end, I think we’re seeing Uber make the decision that at present, some markets are less attractive when compared on others - be that from an “ease-of-business”  perspective, market growth potential or otherwise.

i don’t think this is a case of intentially ceeding one market to an affiliated business explicitly to increase revenues through reduced competitive pressures.  I might agree if the market were more fully developed, where the “fight” was over existing share of a largely static market size, but as I see it, the market for Grab/Uber type services are still well in growth mode- so I suspect it’s more to do with how/where/when does one business choose to use their development assets over another.

Grab was simply too good for Thailand and in Thailand amazing companies from outside the Kingdom add to the loss of face for business's and services provided by Thailand's substandard systems . It's all about loss of face here and a system that's too lazy to up its game so instead they find a way to kick the star players ( if not Thai ) out of the game then problem solved THAI WAY [emoji37]

I love Thailand and it has so many great qualities but high standards is not one of its qualities let's face it .. it's all about face and loosing face not about real quality and things being the best they can be it's all about what gives one most face [emoji120]

That's exactly what has happened in Manila - Grab was, 9 times out of 10, cheaper than Uber by a significant margin. Now Uber is gone, Grab has almost overnight raised its fares to the approximate level where Uber previously was. Hopefully this will spawn some fresh competition, although the power these guys wield might make that unlikely.

• Like 1

FWIW, the GRAB fares from Udon airport to a city drop-off have more than doubled in the past 3 months. Used to get them for upward of 80 baht so a c-note gave them a decent tip. Last time was 180 baht, so that's two c-notes... and the same tip.

I travel twice a week in Pattaya. Previously, a trip costed 180 to 220 baht. Now the trip is 340 - 380 baht. The corresponding trip with hired songtaew costs 300 baht and with regular taxi 400 baht. According to the drivers I have talked to, gross income is 2,000-4,000 baht per day.

Just had a ride with Grab from central BKK to Suvarnabhumi airport, and got a proposed price when booking at 418 baht. When arriving airport I hand him over 420, but he sai no no 75 in road tax. I was a bit surprised it was not already in the estimated aggreed price when booking? 

Anyone who know for sure how Grab policy is about tax road and aggreed pricing? The total distance is 31 km. 

I found this and my english is not good enough to understand fully the meaning of this, but I understand "The fare of application to not include tollway/higway. The funny thing it was a yellow green cab driver I got today ? 

Toll Charges According to the tolls incurred during the course of the trip, from pick-up point to destination.

Airport Surcharges Suvarnabhumi(BKK)
+ 100 THB (for travelling to-back airport)

Don Muang(DMK)
+100 THB (for travelling to-back airport)

*Surcharge applies subject to location and traffic conditions.
** The fare on application not include Tollway/Highway.
***For your convenience, please check the fare before confirming your booking with GrabCar.

https://www.grab.com/th/en/justgrab/

17 minutes ago, wump said:

I'm pretty sure even with crappy English you'll understand "** The fare on application not include Tollway/Highway." ---> Tolls NOT included in App

Yes, and I did also write so ? if you check and reread

On 5/23/2018 at 9:16 AM, new2here said:

I suspect it’s not a linear as that.  Given that from a global basis, the notion of a ride-sharing/ride-hailing platform is still well within its infancy, I think the issue really is more to do with expansion - and all the issues/problems and regulatory matters - that come with it... and to that end, I think we’re seeing Uber make the decision that at present, some markets are less attractive when compared on others - be that from an “ease-of-business”  perspective, market growth potential or otherwise.

i don’t think this is a case of intentially ceeding one market to an affiliated business explicitly to increase revenues through reduced competitive pressures.  I might agree if the market were more fully developed, where the “fight” was over existing share of a largely static market size, but as I see it, the market for Grab/Uber type services are still well in growth mode- so I suspect it’s more to do with how/where/when does one business choose to use their development assets over another.

Masayoshi Son, the head of a $100bn tech fund and global conglomerate Softbank, clearly stated his intentions to increase rates by eliminating competition between the ride hailing services he has invested in. This includes the Chinese company, Didi, which was given China and Brazil. As you know, Uber has also pulled out of China. I was not speculating.

I only use it [Grab] for motorbikes (in BKK) and as far as I can tell the prices have been the same for about 1 year.

I almost feel bad for the drivers as it's a bit too cheap, but of course I usually tip them a bit (depending on how much time we spent stuck in traffic - fares are fixed for bikes).

If it goes up 20-30% I'll still use it, but say 50-100% increase I may just get in a metered taxi instead.

God man it all seems so stupid.
Get a taxi and pay the 100 b more.........

Your post sounds good but getting a taxi to turn on meter at times can be challenging also with Grab you can get car from app and have information about driver , be able to use credit card and much more .