What makes Thailand so unique?

webfact

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Will those tourists give the impression of contentment with a look of wonder and bliss or an idiot with a vacant grin?

The two may be inextricably linked, and the vids certainly target that demographic, not "woke" farangs who already sah-tay Thailand long time. ?

But that's alright, countries seeking a share of the big money tourist industry always try to put their best foot forward. 

59 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The problem is, bad news sells. We don't hear too much from the guys who have successful relationships with Thai women. I guess you are not one of them.

That's because it only counts as success if the farang dies of old age and the dead don't brag much. Until then, it's hazard zone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

The two may be inextricably linked, and the vids certainly target that demographic, not "woke" farangs who already sah-tay Thailand long time. ?

Much like the restaurant reviews in trip advisor from first time visitors. In their initial falling in love awe they seem to think five spoonfuls of msg is the stuff of michelin stars.

• Like 1

I find it quite funny that all of the posters only have negative comments about Thailand but yet half of them live in Thailand most probably married to a Thai woman. If you don’t like it, I’m sure  there other countries you can move to. The fact is that every country has its positive and negative, not every country is perfect. 

Edited by Crispyman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crispyman said:

I find it quite funny that all of the posters only have negative comments about Thailand but yet half of them live in Thailand most probably married to a Thai woman. If you don’t like it, I’m sure  there other countries you can move to. The fact is that every country had its positive and negative, not every country is perfect. 

Think you'll find the last few posts are about tourists. Mine are anyway. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Much like the restaurant reviews in trip advisor from first time visitors. In their initial falling in love awe they seem to think five spoonfuls of msg is the stuff of michelin stars.

Don't forget the MSG/Sugar combination.

5 hours ago, stevkob said:

You beat me to it, Korea and Japan think they are superior to everyone. If you've spent any time there or known any of their citizens you will know what I am talking about. The Thais pale in a comparison in their belief of uniqueness.

I lived in Korea for five years and have just passed my fifth year in Japan. Yeah, it can get a bit tedious, but at the end of the day, I suppose we all think our country of birth is special. I was introduced to Korean nationalism by a Korean soldier I worked with who with a straight and earnest face went on to tell all of us GIs about how Korea is the most beautiful country in the world with the most delicious food in the world and of course, the most beautiful women in the world. However, on the other hand, I have met the realists among Koreans too. I was teaching an early morning Business English class when one of the students asked me what I thought about Korean women. Being the diplomat that I am, I told him I thought the women were quite nice. He looked at me and said with a deadly serious face, "You know, Korean women are made in hospital." He told me that about 15 years ago. It still cracks me up to this day.

47 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's because it only counts as success if the farang dies of old age and the dead don't brag much. Until then, it's hazard zone.

Would photos of the dead farangs with a smile on their faces be enough?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Dear me. I think I'll stick with jaded on the basis of your post.

The problem is, bad news sells. We don't hear too much from the guys who have successful relationships with Thai women. I guess you are not one of them.

You guess wrong. Stick with jaded, better track record.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Oh how true. MSG with everything, and it gives me horrid migraines.

23 hours ago, Bullie said:

They forgot to mention the feather that sticks out of every Thai person's arse...

Apart from Americans I have never met a people that is so convinced of its own special uniqueness which elevates them over everybody else.

Well, if the shoe fits!

2 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

If tou learn to read smiles AND body language/microgestures, you won't be feeling very much at home, you be feeling like an assassination might help. Or an axe-murder.

Learn to speak the language properly and you'll be speaking Thai batter than 65% of Thais. And you'll learn what it feels like after a lobotomy. Enjoy your 89 IQ - sawatdee chiiwit mais.

Amen. Ignorance is bliss, I wish I didn't go through the trouble of learning Thai. Now when I hear and understand it just makes me ..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crispyman said:

I find it quite funny that all of the posters only have negative comments about Thailand but yet half of them live in Thailand most probably married to a Thai woman. If you don’t like it, I’m sure  there other countries you can move to. The fact is that every country has its positive and negative, not every country is perfect.

The truth hurts and isn't easy for some to accept.

For example, my "home" origin is San Diego, CA.  A beautiful city by all accounts, lauded for its modest skyline, idyllic sea backed by mountains and wonderful weather most of the time.

But like most places on Earth, once you live there, you realize San Diego has all or many of the same problems as any other city full of humanoids.  Violent, gang ridden ghetto areas, traffic, high cost of living, government dysfunction and hypocrisy of compassionate, affluent liberals.  Widening gap between rich, struggling "middle class" and the loved and loathed illegal immigrants who do all the dirty work, and prepare Thai food out of sight, just 17 miles from the Mexico/Baja border.   A significant homeless problem being shifted around out of sight out of mind by police and affluent city officials, escalating waste management issues, Orca whales imprisoned by private industry for human entertainment and profit, and a few times a year, those beautiful beaches must be closed in haste due to sewage spills - one southern area in particular, located right next to Tijuana's <deleted> - but also very affluent, beautiful areas like La Jolla.

This is really about the gullible nature of humans, Marketing 101 and the Tourism Industry. 

Don't be so sensitive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

The truth hurts and isn't easy for some to accept.

For example, my "home" origin is San Diego, CA.  A beautiful city by all accounts, lauded for its modest skyline, idyllic sea backed by mountains and wonderful weather most of the time.

But like most places on Earth, once you live there, you realize San Diego has all or many of the same problems as any other city full of humanoids.  Violent, gang ridden ghetto areas, traffic, high cost of living, government dysfunction and hypocrisy of compassionate, affluent liberals.  Widening gap between rich, struggling "middle class" and the loved and loathed illegal immigrants who do all the dirty work, and prepare Thai food out of sight, just 17 miles from the Mexico/Baja border.   A significant homeless problem being shifted around out of sight out of mind by police and affluent city officials, escalating waste management issues, Orca whales imprisoned by private industry for human entertainment and profit, and a few times a year, those beautiful beaches must be closed in haste due to sewage spills - one southern area in particular, located right next to Tijuana's <deleted> - but also very affluent, beautiful areas like La Jolla.

This is really about the gullible nature of humans, Marketing 101 and the Tourism Industry. 

Don't be so sensitive. 

Yes well dogs are better than 80% of people.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:47 PM, Misterwhisper said:

Those lucky Chinese b*st**ds. Had they amassed on that beach only 10 years earlier, they'd found themselves completely surrounded by Germans - and there wouldn't have been nearly enough boats from Koh Larn to evacuate even a quarter of them. 

In that case it would have had to of been another great leap forward, no hold on that did not work, another long march then

12 hours ago, Justfine said:

Or perhaps just proud of their own culture and don't want arrogant westerners telling them how to live....

I think the world has had more than enough of both those cultures now and in the past