Guest houses must now get a hotel license--any info?

heybruce

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

So rooms for rent license was designed and issued for whom?

There isn't and wasn't such a thing, at least for short term lets, the only license was one for operating as a hotel, I am not defending the authorities, just pointing out some facts, the intention of the Ministerial act was to make it easier to comply with the building control act and therefore the hotel act, the reality may be different.

Personally I see nothing wrong with having proper regulations for hotels or any building that is intended for public use and the compliance to those regulations should be more stringent the bigger the building is, not sure about you, but I certainly would not want to stay on the 40th floor of a hotel that didn't have proper fire escapes, or fire related equipment, thoughts of the Royal Jomtien Hotel fire in 1997 spring to mind and that was only 17 floors.

Thailand modified their regulations after this event, the issue at stake at the moment is that they are good at making regulations and then not enforcing them until it suits.

There are few countries in the world that don't have regulations covering hotels.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Mattd said:

1. There has never been the definition 'guest house' in the hotel act - A hotel is classified as somewhere with more than 4 rooms or 20 guests that are let to the public for short term (less than 30 days) and for a payment, this regulation has been in force since at least 2004.

If that is the case explain to me why these establishments with 4 rooms or less that don't need licenses are being cited for not having a license? I have talked to several people who are affected and know vastly more than I do on the subject and they all agree that obtaining a hotel license after the fact is not only financially impractical but also an impossibility in most if not all cases. This relates to requirements in the building process which are impossible to comply after the fact, setbacks, parking, green areas etc. You make it sound easy but it's a total catch22.

Not that any of you are Troll Team Members - heaven forbid.

This post is about Chiang Mai Guest Houses in the Chiang Mai forum.  Really Expats and expats that live or travel to Chinag Mai should be posting.

Not that I think you are trolls But if you don't post specific info about Chiang Mai your trolls.

8 minutes ago, Mattd said:

There isn't and wasn't such a thing, at least for short term lets, the only license was one for operating as a hotel, I am not defending the authorities, just pointing out some facts, the intention of the Ministerial act was to make it easier to comply with the building control act and therefore the hotel act, the reality may be different.

Personally I see nothing wrong with having proper regulations for hotels or any building that is intended for public use and the compliance to those regulations should be more stringent the bigger the building is, not sure about you, but I certainly would not want to stay on the 40th floor of a hotel that didn't have proper fire escapes, or fire related equipment, thoughts of the Royal Jomtien Hotel fire in 1997 spring to mind and that was only 17 floors.

Thailand modified their regulations after this event, the issue at stake at the moment is that they are good at making regulations and then not enforcing them until it suits.

There are few countries in the world that don't have regulations covering hotels.

I am sorry to say but you are incorrect , there is one and is being issued by city hall.rooms for rent license , which is still perfectly acceptable but now for 30 days stays , right up till now was the only

license needed for under 50 rooms.

2 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Not that any of you are Troll Team Members - heaven forbid.

This post is about Chiang Mai Guest Houses in the Chiang Mai forum.  Really Expats and expats that live or travel to Chinag Mai should be posting.

Not that I think you are trolls But if you don't post specific info about Chiang Mai your trolls.

Name of this topic is 

Guest houses must now get a hotel license--any info?

???

13 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

If that is the case explain to me why these establishments with 4 rooms or less that don't need licenses are being cited for not having a license? I have talked to several people who are affected and know vastly more than I do on the subject and they all agree that obtaining a hotel license after the fact is not only financially impractical but also an impossibility in most if not all cases. This relates to requirements in the building process which are impossible to comply after the fact, setbacks, parking, green areas etc. You make it sound easy but it's a total catch22.

The authorities are wrong if they are trying to enforce this, unless you are talking less than 4 units in a condo block, or another building with more than 4 rooms with different owners?

1 minute ago, cmsally said:

Chiang Mai News - Thai

There is an article mentioning about 50 rooms or less above. Apologies its in Thai and I'm going to have to go through it again slowly as it is not making complete sense. It keeps mentioning "4 types of hotel" , but no where do I see the 4 categories outlined.

From memory those are

1.just a hotel

2. Hotel with restaurant 

3 hotel with pool and restaurant

4 hotel with all of the

above and functions facilities

2 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Chiang Mai News - Thai

There is an article mentioning about 50 rooms or less above. Apologies its in Thai and I'm going to have to go through it again slowly as it is not making complete sense. It keeps mentioning "4 types of hotel" , but no where do I see the 4 categories outlined.

Type 1: hotels providing accommodation only, the number of rooms does not exceed fifty, the size of each room is not less than eight square meters,

Type 2: hotels providing accommodation and catering or restaurant services, the size of each room is not less than eight square meters,

Type 3: hotels giving accommodation, catering or restaurant services, the size of each room is not less than 14 square meters, and which has either conference rooms or entertainment venues which under the Place of Service Act could be a place for dancing, bars, and nightclubs or spa,

Type 4: hotels providing accommodation, catering or restaurant services, conference rooms, and entertainment venues, the size of each room is not less than 14 square meters.

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

From memory those are

1.just a hotel

2. Hotel with restaurant 

3 hotel with pool and restaurant

4 hotel with all of the

above and functions facilities

Yes found it you are right. So are we to assume those with over 50 rooms have different licensing??

12 minutes ago, BestB said:

I am sorry to say but you are incorrect , there is one and is being issued by city hall.rooms for rent license , which is still perfectly acceptable but now for 30 days stays , right up till now was the only

license needed for under 50 rooms.

Please post this license, as I will stick with what I am saying, there is no such thing for short term lets and never has been, the hotel license will state the number of rooms that are licensed.

Just now, cmsally said:

Yes found it you are right. So are we to assume those with over 50 rooms have different licensing??

From now on I do not believe so, the only difference is the price of license .but I am just as confused as you are 

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

Please post this license, as I will stick with what I am saying, there is no such thing for short term lets and never has been, the hotel license will state the number of rooms that are licensed.

So you still saying it does not exist.?

Just now, BestB said:

So you still saying it does not exist.?

Not as far as I am aware, it may do for long term apartment type buildings, although most of these have virtually no compliance to any kind of regulations, loads of such in Pattaya.

Not as far as I am aware, it may do for long term apartment type buildings, although most of these have virtually no compliance to any kind of regulations, loads of such in Pattaya.

So safety of long term tenants is not important then???

yes room for rent license was issued to apartment type buildings , guesthouses

authoroties were well aware of its use but still issued and continue to issue.

Not as far as I am aware, it may do for long term apartment type tbuildings, although most of these have virtually no compliance to any kind of regulations, loads of such in Pattaya.

Applied for one on the 8th, received it on the 15th. It does not expressly state length of stay. Had to conform with a few requirements, all made perfect sense.

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

So safety of long term tenants is not important then

Unfortunately is does appear that way, especially those places where the Thai workers stay, it is wrong.

16 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Applied for one on the 8th, received it on the 15th. It does not expressly state length of stay. Had to conform with a few requirements, all made perfect sense.

Did your lawyer not confirm things for you?

and one of the new rules which is nearly impossible to adhere to is the required green space of 30% of the property

Hmm, for once I seemed to have done something right when I built ex#3's small hotel - 11 guest rooms. Everyone told me to totally build on the small land plot and I preferred to build in North-African or Turkish style ==> build the rooms around an enclosed garden in the centre, for both shade and security of access to the property through one single entrance.

That little hotel has (thankfully), got all the correct licences and paperwork, because whilst ex #3 was useless at some things (being a complete starfish in bed was one of them), she was spot-on at other things (chasing officials, Amphur etc) for all the required paperwork :)

Archived