Guest houses must now get a hotel license--any info?

heybruce

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if you guys have seen this interview this is the take of the Thai chair woman of the hotel organisation of Thailand. she represents the large hotels interesting but I wasn't able to attach the link of the interview 

Personally I found the video rather tortuous ! There is not much information in it other than the big hotels are losing customers and that they would like the illegal places to become legal so they can feel proud of themselves!

Sorry I should have added that it was interesting in as much that you get to hear the position of spokesmen for the industry.

One of the most frustrating things is that there is so little information. Just the basic info of where to go to start the process. You start off at the Tesabahn office in applying for your "Or Neung" which is the building permit.  I don't see this info anywhere ! Zilch info for the local people who want to try and get it right.

I also found the video torturous but some interesting points did arise, (paraphrased): 12:10 - people tracking is important, we need to know where guests are.

12:20 - not everywhere pays taxes on these things.

13:00 - there are too many rooms - there were other lesser but interesting points but the TVF text editor is preventing me from wanting to describe them, it's a painful but useful video to watch. Presumably the <4 rooms and <20 people is meant to distinguish the difference between a common house of four bedrooms and anything greater.

Another thing while I'm at it. If you hold a hotel license but don't have the Or 1 building permit, you may escape at the moment BUT, if in the future you forget to renew your hotel license on time (or maybe in future they change documentation required) you could be up shit creek without a paddle.

If my interpretation is right , if for example you forget to renew (hotel license) in 2025, you will need to start the whole process again from scratch. The "from scratch " point starts with the Or 1. If my understanding is correct the 2016 Building Regulation Law only gives the window of 2016-2018  to start to alter your building if it doesn't fit requirements. Presumably therefore you will not be able to get the Or 1 in later years if alterations are required (and they mostly are).

So anybody holding a hotel license and not the building permit , I would advise that you get one soon - like before Aug 19 this year !

5 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Another thing while I'm at it. If you hold a hotel license but don't have the Or 1 building permit, you may escape at the moment BUT, if in the future you forget to renew your hotel license on time (or maybe in future they change documentation required) you could be up shit creek without a paddle.

If my interpretation is right , if for example you forget to renew (hotel license) in 2025, you will need to start the whole process again from scratch. The "from scratch " point starts with the Or 1. If my understanding is correct the 2016 Building Regulation Law only gives the window of 2016-2018  to start to alter your building if it doesn't fit requirements. Presumably therefore you will not be able to get the Or 1 in later years if alterations are required (and they mostly are).

So anybody holding a hotel license and not the building permit , I would advise that you get one soon - like before Aug 19 this year !

and what about the 4 rooms 20 guests?

The 4 rooms/20 guests does not need this licensing. But I noticed on the video she suggested there might be legislation to cover these soon ! The big hotels must really be in the doldrums!

As far as I know for the 4 room places, you contact the Amphur Office and they come and do an inspection, and then do the documentation for you. Sorry I don't know documents required but you should easily be able to enquire at the Amphur office.

I suspect the initiative for the current purge results from a number of factors: the desire to track people, standards of building security and conformity against safety regs., tax revenue generation, an oversupply of rooms and other factors. I can imagine that a process started whereby somebody realised that tourist numbers were increasing but hotels revenue and tax receipts decreasing, the low budget Chinese tourist factor might be a reason. Fixing the problem has been a scattergun approach, baby and bathwater both thrown out.

11 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I suspect the initiative for the current purge results from a number of factors: the desire to track people, standards of building security and conformity against safety regs., tax revenue generation, an oversupply of rooms and other factors. I can imagine that a process started whereby somebody realised that tourist numbers were increasing but hotels revenue and tax receipts decreasing, the low budget Chinese tourist factor might be a reason. Fixing the problem has been a scattergun approach, baby and bathwater both thrown out.

I suspect you are correct PLUS the AirBnB factor which is causing problems in many other countries.

My properties in UK and Aus, all compliant with building codes, are making hay thru AirBnB ... love-em!  Though here in Th, the income generated seldom stays here and pays no tax.  Current shake-down was predetermined some years ago yet most guest houses took little or no notice.  TiT, tough titties for some and I do feel sorry for those old Thai families who will lose an income stream.

34 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I think you may find and agree most without a hotel license can not modify their buildings.  Simply impossible to move roads or neighboring buildings away. Adding an additional staircase also not always an option, nor is creating parking spaces or green zones for buildings that are 20-30 years old.

do not know if this woman understands, tourists who never stayed in expansive hotels , will not be booking into them when “illegal are closed” they will simply go some place else. 

So they should prepare themselves for 1/3 of 33-35 million arrivals.

i wonder what promotion will TAT come up with then

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

I think you may find and agree most without a hotel license can not modify their buildings.  Simply impossible to move roads or neighboring buildings away. Adding an additional staircase also not always an option, nor is creating parking spaces or green zones for buildings that are 20-30 years old.

do not know if this woman understands, tourists who never stayed in expansive hotels , will not be booking into them when “illegal are closed” they will simply go some place else. 

So they should prepare themselves for 1/3 of 33-35 million arrivals.

i wonder what promotion will TAT come up with then

Where are the busloads of Chinese going to stay. The Hilton and park the buses in the Festival. And pay $200 per head?

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

Where are the busloads of Chinese going to stay. The Hilton and park the buses in the Festival. And pay $200 per head?

You have forgotten the Indians. They require the very best for under 500 baht as well ?

13 hours ago, cmsally said:

1. If my understanding is correct the 2016 Building Regulation Law only gives the window of 2016-2018  to start to alter your building if it doesn't fit requirements. Presumably therefore you will not be able to get the Or 1 in later years if alterations are required (and they mostly are).

My understanding is that it is a period where they are giving the chance to those buildings that do not comply, 2 years to submit the proposed plans for the alterations needed, so to be in by 19th August 2018 and then a further 3 years to complete the alterations, so all done and dusted by 19th August 2021, after that period any non compliant buildings will not be able to comply.

From what others are saying, it is virtually impossible to comply for most existing buildings.

11 minutes ago, Mattd said:

My understanding is that it is a period where they are giving the chance to those buildings that do not comply, 2 years to submit the proposed plans for the alterations needed, so to be in by 19th August 2018 and then a further 3 years to complete the alterations, so all done and dusted by 19th August 2021, after that period any non compliant buildings will not be able to comply.

From what others are saying, it is virtually impossible to comply for most existing buildings.

Can confirm 100% they have not asked to see any plans , they just arrest owners and send to court

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

Can confirm 100% they have not asked to see any plans , they just arrest owners and send to court

I'd imagine that it is up to the building owner to submit the plans to the correct department at the applicable municipality for approval, having said that, the police are acting very prematurely closing places, as there are still 2 months left to submit something, the orders must be coming from somewhere.

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

I'd imagine that it is up to the building owner to submit the plans to the correct department at the applicable municipality for approval, having said that, the police are acting very prematurely closing places, as there are still 2 months left to submit something, the orders must be coming from somewhere.

If you guys have look at the Facebook page of the hotel organisation that the lady in the interview is the chair lady of it might explain where the pressure is coming from. The post are all in Thai but look for a meeting in Bkk and its topic 

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

That’s s thing, they not offcially closing down . Just arresting and sending to court. No orders to close issued by neither police nor the court.

fines are also not being issued, only bonds which are to refunded after 7 time sign in

Just now, BestB said:

That’s s thing, they not offcially closing down . Just arresting and sending to court. No orders to close issued by neither police nor the court.

fines are also not being issued, only bonds which are to refunded after 7 time sign in

It's madness and shows the weakness in the Thai legal system where it's not a 'civil' matter and don't even start me on the lack of juries and precedent etc.

Just now, BobBKK said:

It's madness and shows the weakness in the Thai legal system where it's not a 'civil' matter and don't even start me on the lack of juries and precedent etc.

I was held in jail, finger printed and processed as if I was some hardcore criminal, led to court in handcuffs and chains ?

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

I was held in jail, finger printed and processed as if I was some hardcore criminal, led to court in handcuffs and chains ?

All this for breaking a law (maybe) that few people know about and that has been ignored for years.

Welcome to the land of smiles.

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

All this for breaking a law (maybe) that few people know about and that has been ignored for years.

Welcome to the land of smiles.

Not even that, as technically still got till August ?

Archived