Landlord of huge condo building attempting to subvert new laws

Perhaps the title is a misnomer, the OP meant "developer" or Juristic Person.

I'm not aware of a buying process here where one simply forks out payment in full. As with other countries, I imagine it's usual to pay a deposit first to secure the property, then pay the balance at a specified date later to settle the sale contract.

Many things are possible but those seem very unlikely.

The OP clearly mentioned a landlord, and that he had already moved in, and that he paid a "small one month deposit of 6500B". None of that sounds like he is buying anything to me, and I really see no reason at all for any confusion about his status.

As for deposits paid when purchasing, it happens here sometimes but not always, besides which an owner does not pay such a deposit: a future owner does. Once the purchase is completed the deposit is no longer and just becomes part of the full payment.

The only unclear thing in this topic is whether the building is a condo or an apartment, and it is an important point.

On May 25, 2561 BE at 8:51 AM, Peterw42 said:

The OP appears to be in an apartment block (one person owns the whole block) not a Condominium (individual owners). Even if it was a condominium, the committee ,condo office and by-laws have nothing to do with the supply or what a landlord charges a tenant for electricity. In a condominium the electricity is a direct supply (and bill ) from PEA to the individually owned condos, there is no building tariff/supply/rate, except a supply for common property. 

An apartment block (one owner) has an Electricity supply from PEA, then fits private meters to bill the tenants.

I was not talking about individual landlords. I know of many condos where there is one incoming PEA meter, and each unit has a sub-meter which is then surcharged by several Baht. Yes it may or may not be mentioned in the rules, but it should be, likewise the Cam fees. 

On May 25, 2561 BE at 8:51 AM, Peterw42 said:

The OP appears to be in an apartment block (one person owns the whole block) not a Condominium (individual owners). Even if it was a condominium, the committee ,condo office and by-laws have nothing to do with the supply or what a landlord charges a tenant for electricity. In a condominium the electricity is a direct supply (and bill ) from PEA to the individually owned condos, there is no building tariff/supply/rate, except a supply for common property. 

An apartment block (one owner) has an Electricity supply from PEA, then fits private meters to bill the tenants.

I was not talking about individual landlords. I know of many condos where there is one incoming PEA meter, and each unit has a sub-meter which is then surcharged by several Baht. Yes it may or may not be mentioned in the rules, but it should be, likewise the Cam fees. 

I live in an apartment block. I deal with management not a landlord directly.

I know what their doing is 100% illegal as I've read the law.

My real question is what do I do about it? What recourse do I have? If I don't pay it they'll just put up a fight and withhold my deposit (also illegally)

On 5/25/2018 at 4:28 AM, ukrules said:

I'm pretty sure they're already padding it out a bit at 5 Baht per unit.

Yes, a little. Depending on how much I use, my average (including VAT) per unit charge runs between 4.14 (my lowest bill) to 4.34 (highest bill). That's for bills ranging from 2000 - 4000 baht.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:28 AM, Andyfez said:

Only good thing is I expect my second months deposit to be returned.

I'm not expecting that. I'm not even hoping for it. Why are you so confident?

On 5/25/2018 at 8:32 AM, KittenKong said:

It's not in your contract so you don't need to pay.

Go and see your local Office of Consumer Protection about the overcharging attempt (ask at your City Hall).

Of course that wont make you any friends with the management, and Thais can be vindictive and very childish.

Yeah, if it's not in the contract, you shouldn't have to pay it. I wouldn't start off by going to City Hall, but bring up the concern gently.

They have decided to levy communal electricity by linking it to apartment electricity consumption, which is clearly absurd.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:32 AM, KittenKong said:

It's not in your contract so you don't need to pay.

Go and see your local Office of Consumer Protection about the overcharging attempt (ask at your City Hall).

Of course that wont make you any friends with the management, and Thais can be vindictive and very childish.

Yeah, if it's not in the contract, you shouldn't have to pay it. I wouldn't start off by going to City Hall, but bring up the concern gently.

They have decided to levy communal electricity by linking it to apartment electricity consumption, which is clearly absurd.

1 hour ago, nailbrains8 said:

I live in an apartment block. I deal with management not a landlord directly.

I know what their doing is 100% illegal as I've read the law.

My real question is what do I do about it? What recourse do I have? If I don't pay it they'll just put up a fight and withhold my deposit (also illegally)

To  answer your question directly, it's so early in the game that I'd just walk away and not fight the grief you're likely to face for the time you rent at this location.    Hopefully you haven't fully unpacked yet.

I'm OK for a fight but this one I think would be torturous in the long run.

Good luck but  I'd definitely hightail it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I thought the "official" government electrical rate is 4.5 baht per kilowatt hour. 

It is something like that, if you use a lot then they start charging more per unit in different bands as consumption goes up.

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:

To  answer your question directly, it's so early in the game that I'd just walk away and not fight the grief you're likely to face for the time you rent at this location.    Hopefully you haven't fully unpacked yet.

I'm OK for a fight but this one I think would be torturous in the long run.

Good luck but  I'd definitely hightail it.

I would like to but I have signed a 3-month contract. Again, they'd probably try and keep the deposit if I left before the end of that. 

Yes, a little. Depending on how much I use, my average (including VAT) per unit charge runs between 4.14 (my lowest bill) to 4.34 (highest bill). That's for bills ranging from 2000 - 4000 baht.

You pay the domestic rate, as do I thanks to my individual PEA meter in my condo.

But there is also a higher commercial rate, and buildings like condos and apartments will both pay this higher rate. If the building then charges occupants for their individual usage then it would be entirely legal for them to be charged the equivalent of what the building pays.

Both rates are variable and have a progressive element, as far as I know, though the progressive element on domestic supplies is very small.

Houses owned by companies should in theory also be on the commercial rate, though this isn't always applied.