Cobra bites seven year old child in bed while she is sleeping

webfact

Cobra bites seven year old child in bed while she is sleeping

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that a seven year old girl sleeping in a house in Nong Lao sub-district of Ubon Ratchathani had been bitten by a cobra in bed.

Reporters spoke to Ing Ing's relative Watcharin, 41, who said he was doing some typing about 11 pm when he heard the little girl scream out from the bedroom downstairs.

She said she had been bitten. He looked for something to put on her hand but quickly realized that this was no relatively minor matter such as a scorpion or centipede sting.

So he took a better look under in the bedroom and underneath the blanket he saw a meter long snake that he called a "white cobra".

He got a stick and beat it to death then took Ing Ing and the snake to the local hospital. She was then transferred to a bigger hospital.

She was given antivenin.

Pictures of the hand wound were shown by Sanook.

The little child was in a great deal of pain at the site of the wound.

Watcharin said they had left the door of the house open. He warned people to be careful in the rainy season as venomous creatures are liable to seek refuge in people's houses.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-25
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Red necked keelback, not really dangerous as it's rear fanged. It'd have to  chew on you a while to hurt you.

Pull the other one mate:

"Red Necked Keelbacks are now considered quite dangerous and potentially deadly".

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/rear-fanged/snake-bite-red-necked-keelback-rhabdophis-subminiatus/

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

They have no delivery system for their venom, which is why they used to be kept as children's pets.

First they have to chew on you for a few minutes to abraid your skin, then they have to work their venom into the cut.

If you don't attempt to handle them, you won't have a problem.

Assuming he got me and locked onto my skin on my face, as that was the direction he was heading, and applied his venom for a few minutes, then what ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I don't think I've ever seen so many snakes before (in 10 years).

The last couple of wet weeks they are all over the roads.

are you forgetting the times you were in Pattaya ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Also haven't seen a Cobra yet, however on the last day of last year, I bent over to pick up the bucket with all the car wash stuff in it, which was at the front and under a bench on the porch, and on top of the bench were about 3 of those straw mats that the wife puts down on the floor when eating outside on the porch with her sister/cousins etc etc

As I bent over to get the bucket something lunged forward at my face, I wasn't really looking, but my boxing days of my younger years came back to me as I pulled back to the side and stood up, then I noticed this long tail of something go into the straw mats, I yelled out snake to Superwoman and the Mrs arrived quicker than Superwoman, must have taken her out on the way.

She said lift the straw mats quick, so I did, and he took off through some privacy slates and in to her garden, my Mrs took to it like a dog to a bone, I said just shooo it away across the road to the river, NO this snake is dangerous snake, I said how do you know, the colour she said, the colour !!!, me thinking yeh yeh, but tried to reason with her about not killing it, then she turned to me and said listen, we have 4 kids, you want them to get bitten by a snake, that's when I passed her a shovel and said this should help........I later went on the internet and found out that this snake was actually dangerous and as there is no anti-venom, if bitten, I would have died.

Pictures below, a week later and a day after that she found two more snakes in her front garden, so the garden has been remodelled not to allow snakes in.

Have never been one to want to kill anything, but snakes on now on the top of the list, as are rats occasionally in the roof, followed by geko's who cost me 2,700 baht for short circuiting one of my air conditioning mains board, and yes I feel guilty ever time, but hey, its us or them 555

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5521.JPG

How do you make an anti-snake garden then?

12 minutes ago, darren1971 said:

How do you make an anti-snake garden then?

I didn't say anti-snake garden, I said remodelled her front garden to keep snakes out.

The garden before was one metre out from the front wall of the house, she put down two bricks high with pots inside of the brick wall which had plants, the snakes would just make there was into the hollow part of the inside of the brick wall and the house wall, so what she did was fill in the two bricks high with blue metal, bringing the level to the height of the two bricks, therefore no snakes can entering her garden. 

IMG_5435.JPG

5 hours ago, missoura said:

We've had more than usual lately. Here is one that delayed my morning coffee. He ate and left.

eat tokay.JPG

FYI, that looks like a golden tree snake having a snack on a tokay.  Basically harmless to humans -- they are mildly venomous, but are rear fanged so it'd have to grab a finger or toe and gnaw on it for a while to inject any venom.

Those suckers are fast, too.  I had several of them in a home of mine at various times, and the snake catchers (the Fire Department in the case of Hua Hin) had a devil of a time catching them.

I personally think they are beautiful.  They just don't belong in my house.

• Thanks 1

If you would like a fast, accurate ID of a snake anywhere in Thailand, or want to learn about snakes in Thailand, you are very welcome to join our Facebook groups which are specific to each region. Eg:

Snakes of Isaan: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1076644525809817/ or

Snakes of Hua Hin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1749132628662306 

Snakes of Chiang Mai: https://www.facebook.com/groups/121136308469728/

Snakes of Phuket: https://www.facebook.com/groups/124703794775304/

Snakes of Pattaya: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690357437927914/

Thesecond snake that 4MyEgo posted is called a Banded Kukri and is very common in Thailand. If you don't kill it but let it live it will eat the gdckos complained about, etc

Hope to see some or all of you in our groups :)

On 5/25/2018 at 6:45 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

My bread knife could be 'considered dangerous and potentially deadly', and I'm probably more at risk from that.

Somehow, I do actually believe that you might be right! :smile::cheesy: