Shipping 20 ft container from US to Thailand questions.

sirineou

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

some people like anchovies on pizza and some don't

Indeed. My points.

Here is a GoPro vid of a ride I took by my home up in Lampang area. Just a quick blaze up to a nice little coffee joint in the mountains to have a Cappuccino. 

I am also fly a Drone and do videography. 

I do not have any offroad truck but a few of my Thai friends do. 

While this thread has gone off on a tangent the point I think some of us are trying to make JLCrab, is that we all do it different and have different interests. 

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Well the range of people living here could be from some that didn't think about it and off'd all their items and are here now kicking them self in the ass living without to the person that simply wanted to downsize and live in a 30sqm condo with nothing but a backpack, shorts, tanktop and what money they had. I respect all those choices and do not judge them. I couldn't and wouldn't live your life style and you clearly couldn't and wouldn't live mine. 

In the end, the OP had questions about shipping a 20ft container. I attempted to stay on topic relative to the question and offered suggestions with some pictures but seems many went off on tangents and criticize folks who filled one up and brought their items with them. That said being you did not bring anything in cargo container do you have any thing to contribute to the OPs question or others that might be considering bringing items over?  

:clap2:

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

<snip>While this thread has gone off on a tangent the point I think some of us are trying to make JLCrab, is that we all do it different and have different interests. 

Well gee thanks -- you learn something everyday

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Don't be Crabby  LOL

Jasper Lamar Crabb is a character -- by reference only -- in the movie Chinatown (Jack Nicholson as Gittes):

[Evelyn Mulwray drives while Gittes reads an obituary from the newspaper]

Jake Gittes: A memorial service was held at the Mar Vista Inn today for Jasper Lamar Crabb. He passed away two weeks ago.

Evelyn Mulwray: Why is that unusual?

Jake Gittes: He passed away two weeks ago and one week ago he bought the (10,000 acres of) land. That's unusual.

Edited by JLCrab

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Jasper Lamar Crabb is a character -- by reference only -- in the movie Chinatown (Jack Nicholson as Gittes):

[Evelyn Mulwray drives while Gittes reads an obituary from the newspaper]

Jake Gittes: A memorial service was held at the Mar Vista Inn today for Jasper Lamar Crabb. He passed away two weeks ago.

Evelyn Mulwray: Why is that unusual?

Jake Gittes: He passed away two weeks ago and one week ago he bought the (10,000 acres of) land. That's unusual.

Thank you for that. Great movie! I am familiar with the reference.

I was just being cheeky :tongue:

Well that's OK -- I chose the name out of uniqueness of the character like something out of Nikolai Gogol's Dead Souls without the thought that the name could and would be used as an adjective. But I'm sorta used to it now.

These are some items that we brought that I found I have no need for over here.  A lot of the items are still in the boxes. Never emptied them, because we weren't even looking for the items.

Lucky for me I own a couple of warehouses to put the stuff.

Still have my gas blower though. That is worth having. Priceless here.

The weed whacker not so much. Too many people willing to work for low wages all day to bother with it.

Hope your move here goes well. Sorry if it looked like I was judging. As I said, to each his own.  If you need winter jackets I have several. Was going to donate until I realized they would just be sold. 

2018-06-04 07.53.24.jpg

2018-06-04 07.53.29.jpg

2018-06-04 07.53.39.jpg

2018-06-04 07.54.07.jpg

2018-06-04 07.54.24.jpg

2018-06-04 07.54.33.jpg

These are some items that we brought that I found I have no need for over here.  A lot of the items are still in the boxes. Never emptied them, because we weren't even looking for the items.

Lucky for me I own a couple of warehouses to put the stuff.

Still have my gas blower though. That is worth having. Priceless here.

The weed whacker not so much. Too many people willing to work for low wages all day to bother with it.

Hope your move here goes well. Sorry if it looked like I was judging. As I said, to each his own.  If you need winter jackets I have several. Was going to donate until I realized they would just be sold. 

1985905795_2018-06-0407_53_24.thumb.jpg.e45a4d37a0f94f638db9819a3a437997.jpg&key=7d5e8b0ae2a81c3575faf39d1e392125894420745ffac2ea764e1f9399037bc6

2054178201_2018-06-0407_53_29.thumb.jpg.2cba092e061655280d61973fd0327c13.jpg&key=68e2d6abfd273e5386c37d1536d2976e271ae810e4db7fb7e80cdf8ead152697

1304193387_2018-06-0407_53_39.thumb.jpg.2a69177366572d5add5c9af334ccdd93.jpg&key=a6d93505bb9b26484cfc0dc114bcaeb665e166034fc5c56d3173d6157854fb0e

1845891193_2018-06-0407_54_07.thumb.jpg.4d316d1b02ce960e2f73ac296b8d68ca.jpg&key=c62909c229df2572a0b6ab2d4c657099f6e52d4de475968b0e69339174d4d430

60176682_2018-06-0407_54_24.thumb.jpg.818d3ce7384eeee86fcd74539e38ba6f.jpg&key=0529d5a46d09253919ffa01d8f11618f11fd437ca83558cf862ea1ca115146b1

678350750_2018-06-0407_54_33.thumb.jpg.2eb6543376ab25b21f9a4102d4a3b000.jpg&key=c1d5ed87429192547db0ca6b352762638d99534895a5579230596a908dede937

Yeah, hauling trash from one home to the next makes little sense.

You like a lot of pink...

15 hours ago, mogandave said:

Actually, two or three of the pages are posts telling him what a moron he is for wanting two bring anything but a suitcase.

As far as everything being available here, no shortage of Thai people buying imported goods for twice what they cost in the country of origin.

I don't think I've read any pages saying he is a "moron", but some of us are pointing out that it's not necessary to bring a container load over, just to use the same tools.

I have a huge tool collection of all the best quality tools sitting in storage back home, and I never considered bringing them over. I'd rather buy a tool that does the job here. That way I only have the tools I need, rather than a load of them that I never use.

I certainly think it would be pointless bringing appliances and furniture over when they are so cheap here. Some appliances don't last, but can buy 3 or 4 for the price of a high quality one. Even cheap ones can last a long time and expensive ones break too soon. Bring a pressure washer over and it doesn't work properly on Thai electricity- have to buy another anyway.

Anyway, it's too hot to mow the grass here. Much better to pave the area.

It's not just the cost of the container, but transport before and after as well, and what happens if customs decides that they CAN demand duties, regardless of what the OP believes?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

36 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

When I got kicked out of the house I had to leave almost everything I had bought. I have found I didn't need any of it. What I could get in a couple of suitcases was enough. In fact, I still have too much stuff.

Back home, I have a load of stuff in storage that I haven't needed in 30 years. I could have saved myself a lot of expense and trouble by not buying it in the first place.

I don't think I've read any pages saying he is a "moron", but some of us are pointing out that it's not necessary to bring a container load over, just to use the same tools.
I have a huge tool collection of all the best quality tools sitting in a shed back home, and I never considered bringing them over. I'd rather buy a tool that does the job here. That way I only have the tools I need, rather than a load of them that I never use.
I certainly think it would be pointless bringing appliances and furniture over when they are so cheap here. Some appliances don't last, but can buy 3 or 4 for the price of a high quality one. Even cheap ones can last a long time and expensive ones break too soon. Bring a pressure washer over and it doesn't work properly on Thai electricity- have to buy another anyway.
Anyway, it's too hot to mow the grass here. Much better to pave the area.
It's not just the cost of the container, but transport before and after as well, and what happens if customs decides that they CAN demand duties, regardless of what the OP believes?

Sorry, I should have said inferring he was a moron. Better?

So if you didn’t have a home and shed back home to store your “...huge collection of all the best quality tools...” would you have brought them over?

I think it fair to say that if one is maintaining residence in their home country it makes much less sense to bring their stuff over.

I do not believe the OP is maintaining his US residence and would have to either get rid of his stuff, pay to store it, or bring it with him. In his case it makes a lot more sense to bring it.

Some guys like yard work, some don’t. Some guys like concrete, some like grass. Whatever.

While I would not try to bring appliances over, I disagree they are cheaper here than in the US.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PhonThong said:

SAE tools are not going to do too much good here.

Nor, I imagine, spanners/ sockets for Whitworth. I doubt even AF is of much use, except for any American equipment brought over.

Do the Chevrolet vehicles sold here use metric or American threads?

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Sorry, I should have said inferring he was a moron. Better?

So if you didn’t have a home and shed back home to store your “...huge collection of all the best quality tools...” would you have brought them over?

I think it fair to say that if one is maintaining residence in their home country it makes much less sense to bring their stuff over.

I do not believe the OP is maintaining his US residence and would have to either get rid of his stuff, pay to store it, or bring it with him. In his case it makes a lot more sense to bring it.

Some guys like yard work, some don’t. Some guys like concrete, some like grass. Whatever.

While I would not try to bring appliances over, I disagree they are cheaper here than in the US.

No, I don't think anyone is saying or inferring he is a "moron".

Sorry if I implied I have a shed. My stuff is in storage, which happens to be a shed. I don't own any property.

If that wasn't an option, I'd give it all to a good friend. He's getting it all after I croak anyway. I wouldn't bring them over. It's so cheap to get vehicles serviced here I don't know why I'd want to do it myself. 

I don't love concrete, but it's the sensible option for a Thai style house with a small yard. I have no desire to get sweaty mowing a lawn. I "paved" 3 areas around our house. One with bought pavers ( only 8 baht each- it's almost giving them away compared with back home ), one with old bricks scavenged from around the house and one with small rocks- that one doesn't get walked on much.

would have to either get rid of his stuff, pay to store it, or bring it with him.

An option would be to store it till the OP has been in LOS long enough to know if he wants to bring it over, or not.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Yeah, hauling trash from one home to the next makes little sense.

You like a lot of pink...

That's just the way the morning light hits the window curtains. I know looks kind of "sissy"

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nor, I imagine, spanners/ sockets for Whitworth. I doubt even AF is of much use, except for any American equipment brought over.

Metric. I have a Colorado

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

SAE tools have little to no value here. Everything I brought is metric. The SAE part of my tools were gifted to my Nephew. He made out well.

All Chevrolet and Ford products marketed outside the U.S are metric and in fact I would guess that well over 75% of US marketed vehicles are metric now. Its a slow conversion process. I know my main tool box was slowly converted to metric. I had very few SAE tools left. 

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

because all that cement becomes saturated with heat and also reflects heat to the house and makes the area even hotter and never cools. It also houses ants as they build colonies underneath and you cant get rid of them. Also cement here turns black with mold and looks like crap in no time and usually cracks due to heat cycling and lower standard cement. 

I'm talking about concrete pavers, not a poured concrete surface, which I'd never do, simply because you can't easily get under it. I never had a problem with mould of any colour. Perhaps yours is in a wet area. Pavers I had never cracked, and were so hard had a tough job cutting them with an angle grinder- I wasn't going to spend money on a proper machine I'd never use again.

Also, I had shade cloth over my paved area, so didn't get too hot. We used it all the time to eat outside, even when it was sunny.

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

SAE tools have little to no value here. Everything I brought is metric. The SAE part of my tools were gifted to my Nephew. He made out well.

All Chevrolet and Ford products marketed outside the U.S are metric and in fact I would guess that well over 75% of US marketed vehicles are metric now. Its a slow conversion process. I know my main tool box was slowly converted to metric. I had very few SAE tools left. 

Even the attachments to U.S.A. air compressors don't fit here.  

The big joke used to be.  Make sure and bring a metric crescent wrench. 

Edited by PhonThong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I used to buy a lot of bolts at auction of closing down engineering shops and suchlike, so all my old spanners still come in handy. My car is a 1990 model, so uses SAE.

If ever a friend says he needs a Whitworth spanner, I can help him out with that too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Au Contraire. Never had to downsize. Never was upsize.

Secret to a happy life is not being controlled by our stuff, and having no more than we need.

Unfortunately, I learned that AFTER I had acquired a huge pile of stuff that has been in storage for years. Hopefully it will come in handy if I ever have to go back home to live.

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Au Contraire. Never had to downsize. Never was upsize.

I get it, I have a single old friend like you (9 years older than me). Rented his whole life, lived alone, read a lot, never did much outside. Still is a grumpy old introvert....LOL..and still a good friend.  

Just now, JAFO said:

I get it, I have a single old friend like you (9 years older than me). Rented his whole life, lived alone, read a lot, never did much outside. Still is a grumpy old introvert....LOL..and still a good friend.  

Sounds like he never got seduced by the dark side ( electronic medium and wife{s} ). Lucky guy.

I think GM fasteners have been metric for about 15-20 years.

I don’t believe SAE has anything to do with wrench sizes.

14 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

Even the attachments to U.S.A. air compressors don't fit here.  

The big joke used to be.  Make sure and bring a metric crescent wrench. 

I know..LOL  That one caught me off guard. Fortunately I brought my hoses and hose reel over all configured back in the states. But I tried to use an air hose fitting from here and the Industrial and Automotive are different and do not seal. They will lock as a quick disconnect but bleed a lot. The female connectors are really cheap quality here. 

BTW, I have 4 sizes of Metric Crescent wrenches and same for my Metric Vise Grips...LOL

Edited by JAFO
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I think GM fasteners have been metric for about 15-20 years.

I don’t believe SAE has anything to do with wrench sizes.

http://wiki.dtonline.org/index.php/Spanners_and_Wrenches

Some spanners may be marked AF. This also means Across Flats but it is an Imperial size marking, or more correctly a SAE marking, associated with UNC and UNF screw threads - e.g. a 1/2" AF spanner is 1/2" across and fits a 5/16" diameter UNF nut.