Parcel from USA hung up in customs...how long is too long?

Kohsamida

I have tracking on parcel from USA bound for me in Chiang Mail that arrived in Bangkok and went into Customs on May 10.  Tracking info has not changed from then and it is now May 28.  Is this long of a delay common or should I start investigating?  

Contents documentation was very carefulled filled out and value including postage was about US$350.  Just personal odds and ends from Amazon, repackaged by a mail forwarding consolidator with professional reputation for getting things delivered without issues.

That seems a bit long.  I just received a small box on Thursday, sent via regular US Postal Service from California to my door here, in 8 days.

Did your mail forwarding service send by regular USPS or a FedEx/DHL type service?  I've got no direct experience with the latter, but the general rule I've heard on TVF over the years is FedEx/DHL seems to attract more attention from Thai Customs.

6 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

That seems a bit long.  I just received a small box on Thursday, sent via regular US Postal Service from California to my door here, in 8 days.

Did your mail forwarding service send by regular USPS or a FedEx/DHL type service?  I've got no direct experience with the latter, but the general rule I've heard on TVF over the years is FedEx/DHL seems to attract more attention from Thai Customs.

USPS always; couriers definitely attract more attention from customs.   Like you, my experience is typically about one week, thus my concern.

Edited by Kohsamida

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Go and ask them?

I already tried that with both ThaiPost and Thai Customs.  Got no where on the phone with them; both simply saying that tracking might not be updated, but not offering any advice beyond that.  Very frustrating :(

17 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

I already tried that with both ThaiPost and Thai Customs.  Got no where on the phone with them; both simply saying that tracking might not be updated, but not offering any advice beyond that.  Very frustrating ?

You really need to visit the P.O. yourself,if you want to get some

answers,too easy to fob you off on the phone,ask to see someone

in authority.

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You really need to visit the P.O. yourself,if you want to get some

answers,too easy to fob you off on the phone,ask to see someone

in authority.

regards worgeordie

Probably my next step if the delay goes on much longer but I've dealt with ThaiPost in person before about a similar issue and it was a real trip since I 'm not fluent in Thai and NOBODY in the post office seemed to speak English at all. Just hoping somebody here on TVF can tell me if two week wait is concerning or not.

Interesting.....never knew USPS was treated differently than the other big US couriers.   I've got something coming by USPS for the first time.  I hope it will be a 10 day deal.   I've also got a credit card coming "Next Day" Fedex......that's according to the bank rep I spoke with.   I don't think "Next Day". is possible from US to Bkk.

The problem the OP is having may be due to customs and not Thai Post

I had a USPS package that stayed on "our for delivery" for a week per tracking.  So I took the tracking to my local PO and they told me it was stuck in Customs at Lam Chabang and gave me a form to go pick it up

Went to Customs at the port and they initially had me fill out the back of the form but then suddenly decided that I could not have my package since it contained a new mobile phone

Declared value was correct but they wanted me to go into Bangkok and obtain a license to import an electronic device into Thailand.....a cell phone requires an import licence....WT_...anyone know of a Thai cell phone manufacturer that needs customs duty protection ?

Bottom line was that I received absolutely nothing in writing about the procedure and was told that if I didn't get the import license the phone would be returned to the US in one month....still waiting  

I finally called Customs on the phone today.  Apparently they need clarification on my declaration.  I don't know why the didn't reach out to me and let me know that.  They want me to email a description of each item, even though a detailed declaration was already included in the shipment.

Unfortunately, I think I know what the issue is.  The package is a consolidated shipment from a mail forwarder in the States.  It consists of a bunch of stuff I bought from Amazon, eBay, and a few other online stores.  One of the items was an e-Cigarette ?  I didn't realize at the time of purchase it was "illegal" in Thailand.  So, I'm guessing that's what's causing the hold-up.  Still though, I don't know why they haven't sent me a notice or anything.  I guess there's still hope that the bureaucratic wheels of Thai Customs grind very slowly and maybe I'll end up receiving my package intact (including the e-cig)???  What do you think??

12 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

The problem the OP is having may be due to customs and not Thai Post

I had a USPS package that stayed on "our for delivery" for a week per tracking.  So I took the tracking to my local PO and they told me it was stuck in Customs at Lam Chabang and gave me a form to go pick it up

Went to Customs at the port and they initially had me fill out the back of the form but then suddenly decided that I could not have my package since it contained a new mobile phone

Declared value was correct but they wanted me to go into Bangkok and obtain a license to import an electronic device into Thailand.....a cell phone requires an import licence....WT_...anyone know of a Thai cell phone manufacturer that needs customs duty protection ?

Bottom line was that I received absolutely nothing in writing about the procedure and was told that if I didn't get the import license the phone would be returned to the US in one month....still waiting  

So, that's how they handle it normally; send it back to US?  They actually pay the postage to send it back?  You are correct that my issue is also with Customs.  Among the items in my shipment was an e-cigarette.  I'm guessing that's the problem. 

8 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

So, that's how they handle it normally; send it back to US?  They actually pay the postage to send it back?  You are correct that my issue is also with Customs.  Among the items in my shipment was an e-cigarette.  I'm guessing that's the problem. 

They won't send it back if you've started the clearance process. They'll only send it back if they can't find you. Don't approach them and ignore notices that they'll send to your mailbox. It takes about 30 days before they send it back.

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

They won't send it back if you've started the clearance process. They'll only send it back if they can't find you. Don't approach them and ignore notices that they'll send to your mailbox. It takes about 30 days before they send it back.

I've already made contact with them to inquire about delay.  They have only advised me to wait for the normal notification of duty due.  Are you sure they won't just discard it if I make no further contact and ignore notices? 

Edited by Kohsamida

1 minute ago, Kohsamida said:

Are you sure they won't just discard it?

If you don't communicate with them and remain unavailable, they will send it back. I have had many parcels over the years sent back. DHL and EMS parcels. I watched them in tracking and noted when they were sent back. I wasn't interested in dealing with customs for these particular parcels. Because you used a parcel forwarding service, perhaps that company will charge you a fee as I imagine that the courier will want compensation for return shipping.

9 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

I finally called Customs on the phone today.  Apparently they need clarification on my declaration.  I don't know why the didn't reach out to me and let me know that.  They want me to email a description of each item, even though a detailed declaration was already included in the shipment.

Unfortunately, I think I know what the issue is.  The package is a consolidated shipment from a mail forwarder in the States.  It consists of a bunch of stuff I bought from Amazon, eBay, and a few other online stores.  One of the items was an e-Cigarette ?  I didn't realize at the time of purchase it was "illegal" in Thailand.  So, I'm guessing that's what's causing the hold-up.  Still though, I don't know why they haven't sent me a notice or anything.  I guess there's still hope that the bureaucratic wheels of Thai Customs grind very slowly and maybe I'll end up receiving my package intact (including the e-cig)???  What do you think??

I just read this post. Considering you've already contacted them, they probably won't send it back as they've already opened it up and had a good look. Also, as there's an illegal item in the shipment, they probably will discard it if you don't pick it up. They could even send you a bill for storage. Who knows with these guys.

12 hours ago, tropo said:

I just read this post. Considering you've already contacted them, they probably won't send it back as they've already opened it up and had a good look. Also, as there's an illegal item in the shipment, they probably will discard it if you don't pick it up. They could even send you a bill for storage. Who knows with these guys.

“Who knows with these guys” is an understatement.  Even though I’ve talked with them on the phone, I have no idea what’s going on.  In one long and confusing explanation the officer said the hold up was because of a “possible” restricted item, and that I need to send a description of contents by email (which was already provided as a detailed declaration), and then said I should wait for the mailed notification of delivery from the post office.  #$&*@???  In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t called them.

Edited by Kohsamida

12 hours ago, tropo said:

If you don't communicate with them and remain unavailable, they will send it back. I have had many parcels over the years sent back. DHL and EMS parcels. I watched them in tracking and noted when they were sent back. I wasn't interested in dealing with customs for these particular parcels. Because you used a parcel forwarding service, perhaps that company will charge you a fee as I imagine that the courier will want compensation for return shipping.

Thanks for details.  Wish I had known before contacting them.  I’d gladly pay just to get it out of their hands and try shipping again, shipping the ecig stuff separately as a low value gift or something that circumvents this nonsense.  Not that I believe in breaking the law, but this ban on e-cigs for personal use is ridiculous.  Sadly though, I suspect my brand new e-cig mod is going into the pocket of a customs agent, and then I get to be shocked by what I’m sure will be some outrageous duty charge on the remaining items!?

Edited by Kohsamida

Now this is starting to worry me!  

Customs has informed me that the eCig is a restricted item and is being confiscated.  In an email exchange with customs they informed me:

"We have checked the status of your package with BANGKOK MAIL CENTER at Tel:0 2215 3696 ext.4151.

They said that an e-cigarette and related items were found in your package, so your package has been seized by Customs.  
Actually an e-cigarette and related items are the prohibited goods in Thailand, you or anyone will not be allowed to import/export these items into/out of Thailand whether personal use or commerce.
If you show up to be the owner of the prohibited items, that might be considered as an illegal act and might cause you some penalty (fine). Therefore, if i can give you some advices, it might be better to let it abandoned."

My question is this: Are they pulling the e-cig from my package and delivering the rest of my package.  And if they are, am I likely to be fined when I pick up the package even though they have already confiscated the offending item.  And the biggest question of all, how expensive is the fine likely to be?  

Aside form the e-Cig which only had a $50 value, the rest of the stuff is worth over $400.  I'd hate to have to abandon it just for making a stupid mistake like this, but I sure don't want to get hit for some outrageous fine, or worse!

If you have some sound advice, I'd appreciate hearing it.  I'm even wondering if I should first talk to a lawyer before doing anything, so if you have some input on that, I'd appreciate it as well.  Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than necessary, but all I can findwhen I google is a lot of scare mongering stuff about people going to jail for ten years, etc.  And, even though this was simply an oversight on my part and I bought the item for personal use, I guess that technically it could be considered "importing an illegal product into the Kingdom"

And finally, in light of this situation, if I do abandon the package as I was advised in the email from Customs, what happens to the package?  Does it get returned to the States without the confiscated item, or is it just gone, bye bye?

Edited by Kohsamida

3 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Now this is starting to worry me!  

Customs has informed me that the eCig is a restricted item and is being confiscated.  In an email exchange with customs they informed me:

"We have checked the status of your package with BANGKOK MAIL CENTER at Tel:0 2215 3696 ext.4151.

They said that an e-cigarette and related items were found in your package, so your package has been seized by Customs.  
Actually an e-cigarette and related items are the prohibited goods in Thailand, you or anyone will not be allowed to import/export these items into/out of Thailand whether personal use or commerce.
If you show up to be the owner of the prohibited items, that might be considered as an illegal act and might cause you some penalty (fine). Therefore, if i can give you some advices, it might be better to let it abandoned."

My question is this: Are they pulling the e-cig from my package and delivering the rest of my package.  And if they are, am I likely to be fined when I pick up the package even though they have already confiscated the offending item.  And the biggest question of all, how expensive is the fine likely to be?  

Aside form the e-Cig which only had a $50 value, the rest of the stuff is worth over $400.  I'd hate to have to abandon it just for making a stupid mistake like this, but I sure don't want to get hit for some outrageous fine, or worse!

If you have some sound advice, I'd appreciate hearing it.  I'm even wondering if I should first talk to a lawyer before doing anything, so if you have some input on that, I'd appreciate it as well.  Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than necessary, but all I can findwhen I google is a lot of scare mongering stuff about people going to jail for ten years, etc.  And, even though this was simply an oversight on my part and I bought the item for personal use, I guess that technically it could be considered "importing an illegal product into the Kingdom"

And finally, in light of this situation, if I do abandon the package as I was advised in the email from Customs, what happens to the package?  Does it get returned to the States without the confiscated item, or is it just gone, bye bye?

Just my opinion and what I would do if I was in your situation.

I don't think they will send back your parcel as you've already started the clearance process.

I would want to save the other $400 of goods. I wouldn't be highly concerned about fine or stiffer penalties because it's an honest mistake by a foreigner that doesn't know better. If you had a shipment of e-Cigs, that would be a different story, but you bought one for personal use. Taking someone to court over one e-Cig would be overkill and I can't see it happening.

I would go there in person with a Thai speaker. You'll probably be able to clear this up with a friendly conversation and some tea money after you've paid the duty, VAT and handling fees.

If you are worried about penalties, just drop it. Cease all contact and kiss your parcel goodbye. 

There is one other option. Talk to a customs clearing agent for advice and possibly let him clear the parcel for you. I remember Raro, a moderator on this forum, did this work. I haven't seen him for awhile.

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

Just my opinion and what I would do if I was in your situation.

I don't think they will send back your parcel as you've already started the clearance process.

I would want to save the other $400 of goods. I wouldn't be highly concerned about fine or stiffer penalties because it's an honest mistake by a foreigner that doesn't know better. If you had a shipment of e-Cigs, that would be a different story, but you bought one for personal use. Taking someone to court over one e-Cig would be overkill and I can't see it happening.

I would go there in person with a Thai speaker. You'll probably be able to clear this up with a friendly conversation and some tea money after you've paid the duty, VAT and handling fees.

If you are worried about penalties, just drop it. Cease all contact and kiss your parcel goodbye. 

There is one other option. Talk to a customs clearing agent for advice and possibly let him clear the parcel for you. I remember Raro, a moderator on this forum, did this work. I haven't seen him for awhile.

I pretty much resigned myself to giving up on this rather than open up a "can of worms" It was MY mistake to not consider this issue before placing the order but it was indeed and honest mistake so it seems a little harsh of Customs to confiscate all the other items.  Your last suggestion about contacting a clearing agent is worth a shot so I'll look into that.  Thanks for suggesting it!

• Like 2

On 5/30/2018 at 12:03 AM, observer90210 said:

Such rackets from the corrupt Thai Customs, is why e-commerce will never...never develop in Thailand, unfortunately.

oh, within Thailand it does !

42 minutes ago, manarak said:

oh, within Thailand it does !

No it does not,  as apart the corrupt customs, locallys depending on the area the post office also "misplaces" sometimes the parcels ... and then good luck to get the tracing procedure event started.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

No it does not,  as apart the corrupt customs, locallys depending on the area the post office also "misplaces" sometimes the parcels ... and then good luck to get the tracing procedure event started.

use cash on delivery.

never a problem.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, manarak said:

Apple I wouldn't know, but Lazada certainly does.

Never though of this. Obviously, if money is not yet paid, the parcel is sure to go through extra supervision and dilligence. But of course, it does cost extra I would assume.