Parcel from USA hung up in customs...how long is too long?

Kohsamida

On 5/31/2018 at 4:31 PM, tropo said:

"...There is one other option. Talk to a customs clearing agent for advice and possibly let him clear the parcel for you. I remember Raro, a moderator on this forum, did this work. I haven't seen him for awhile."

Hey Tropo,  I want to thank you for your suggestion about talking with a Customs Agent.  I talked to a really good one; actually they are freight forwarders in Bangkok that I've dealt with for business in the past, and that have really good connections with Customs.  It looks like they are going to get things straightened out for me.  I may have to pay a reasonable fine and a little something "under the table" but far better than loosing the whole package.  So, Thanks for suggesting it! ?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Hey Tropo,  I want to thank you for your suggestion about talking with a Customs Agent.  I talked to a really good one; actually they are freight forwarders in Bangkok that I've dealt with for business in the past, and that have really good connections with Customs.  It looks like they are going to get things straightened out for me.  I may have to pay a reasonable fine and a little something "under the table" but far better than loosing the whole package.  So, Thanks for suggesting it! ?

That's good news. Please keep us posted on what happens.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:29 PM, observer90210 said:

Never though of this. Obviously, if money is not yet paid, the parcel is sure to go through extra supervision and dilligence. But of course, it does cost extra I would assume.

nope, doesn't cost extra.

and if I may add - you imagine and assume too much. just get informed.

Edited by manarak

7 minutes ago, manarak said:

nope, doesn't cost extra.

and if I may add - you imagine and assume too much. just get informed.

I assume something seems to have displeased you ?:cheesy:.....no hard feelings, and good night to you.

14 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I assume something seems to have displeased you ?:cheesy:.....no hard feelings, and good night to you.

"displeased" is too strong a word - I just think you wander the world by "assuming" too many things instead of just checking how things are in reality and as a result you have the wrong idea and miss out on stuff.

46 minutes ago, manarak said:

"displeased" is too strong a word - I just think you wander the world by "assuming" too many things instead of just checking how things are in reality and as a result you have the wrong idea and miss out on stuff.

you think too much

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone curious of status; I feel like I’m in the “twilight zone” with this thing.  Thai Customs is not communicating with me in any way, no tracking updates from Thai Post since May 10.  My US shipper has filed an investigation request from USPS but so far nothing.    

Im pretty much considering this a write-off n terms of ever seeing the package or having it returned to sender.  

Honestly I think it sucks that Thai Customs is holding over $500 of non-prohibited consumer merchandise because of one $50 E-cigarette.  

My US shipping agent says they run into this issue with many international deliveries and worst-case-scenario is the offending item is confiscated but the remainder of package contents is sent on to recipient, with a notice of item-confiscation also sent.  I guess that doesn’t hold here in Thailand.

i had hoped a local Thai customs agent was going to help me with the “under the table” approach that he said was the common way to deal with this, but that just sounds sketchy to me, and besides, he said it would cost far, far more than the package is even worth.

So, I guess I’m writing this all off as a very bad dream.  Welcome to the Land of Smiles ?

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

Let's not just yet abandon all hope!

I don't think they would fine you for one illegal item, especially if you let them confisticate it. If and when you receive the notice for post office pick-up, if there is a fine you'll see it on the notice along with other duty fees and such on the remaining items. If you don't want to pay the fine, then don't show up, the post office would keep the package for the customary 30 days, and afterward they would return it (minus the illegal and now confisticated item.) Hopefully the fine if there is one, would be markedly less than the remaining value of the package (say under 200 usd fine vs. 400 value) and therefore you might as well just suck it up and get the other items. This has never happened to me (re illegal item) so I'm only speculating.

But you are still not getting the notice for PO pickup, hmmm...My guess is that had you not called on them, they were going to confiscate the e-cig, and then scrutinize what else is there in the package, before clearing it out to the post office -could be the reason it was taking so long...However,your inquiry seemed to have further delayed/contested the process and a new piece of document was being introduced, namely your declaration from the receiving end. The fact that they asked for it and at the same time told you to go home and wait could very well be a misunderstanding due to language barrier. Their suggestion for you to abandon the item could translate to they are WAITING to see if you would, and that entails another waiting period of say, 30 days?

If I were you I would go back and hand them my declaration in person, make sure A) to omit the e-cig on the list and B) to tell them loud and clear that you don't want the e-cig now that you know it's illegal - and see what they'd have to say? It could be that just what they need in order NOT to fine you,  so now the ball is in your court?

8 hours ago, smo said:

Let's not just yet abandon all hope!

I don't think they would fine you for one illegal item, especially if you let them confisticate it. If and when you receive the notice for post office pick-up, if there is a fine you'll see it on the notice along with other duty fees and such on the remaining items. If you don't want to pay the fine, then don't show up, the post office would keep the package for the customary 30 days, and afterward they would return it (minus the illegal and now confisticated item.) Hopefully the fine if there is one, would be markedly less than the remaining value of the package (say under 200 usd fine vs. 400 value) and therefore you might as well just suck it up and get the other items. This has never happened to me (re illegal item) so I'm only speculating.

But you are still not getting the notice for PO pickup, hmmm...My guess is that had you not called on them, they were going to confiscate the e-cig, and then scrutinize what else is there in the package, before clearing it out to the post office -could be the reason it was taking so long...However,your inquiry seemed to have further delayed/contested the process and a new piece of document was being introduced, namely your declaration from the receiving end. The fact that they asked for it and at the same time told you to go home and wait could very well be a misunderstanding due to language barrier. Their suggestion for you to abandon the item could translate to they are WAITING to see if you would, and that entails another waiting period of say, 30 days?

If I were you I would go back and hand them my declaration in person, make sure A) to omit the e-cig on the list and B) to tell them loud and clear that you don't want the e-cig now that you know it's illegal - and see what they'd have to say? It could be that just what they need in order NOT to fine you,  so now the ball is in your court?

Hey smo,  Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful reply.  Everything you said sounds logical and I think I will follow up as you suggested.  One problem though is the fact that Customs in BANGKOK is holding the package.  I am in Chiang Mai.  When you suggest "going back to them in person" are you suggesting that I do this through the local THAI POST office, the local CUSTOMS office at CNX airport, or Customs in BANGKOK?  Obviously, the latter would not be worth the effort.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:59 PM, Langsuan Man said:

Went to Customs at the port and they initially had me fill out the back of the form but then suddenly decided that I could not have my package since it contained a new mobile phone

Declared value was correct but they wanted me to go into Bangkok and obtain a license to import an electronic device into Thailand.....a cell phone requires an import licence....WT_...anyone know of a Thai cell phone manufacturer that needs customs duty protection ?

Customs at Laem Chabang are 'under new management' and finding all sorts of items that suddenly need an import license. Trying to get them to explain if this is a new edict or Thailand 4.0's enforcement of existing laws just gets you the runaround... and they still seize the goods.

Try shipping to a Bangkok address and collecting from Thailand Post Customs at Laksi.

On 6/27/2018 at 11:06 AM, Kohsamida said:

Honestly I think it sucks that Thai Customs is holding over $500 of non-prohibited consumer merchandise because of one $50 E-cigarette.

Since vaping is considered by the junta to be a major contributor to the collapse of Thailand's traditional, conservative values, there's absolutely no way of getting anything else that was included in the same package, regardless of the non-dutiable and fully declared nature of those items. It's all tainted.

It's not just a Thai Customs thing either. I have had stuff impounded by Customs in Brazil and Peru without any recourse to get the allowable bits released or re-export the offending bits all because the exporting agent didn't do their job properly. On the Brazilian debacle, the US export agent sent the replacement item with exactly the same incorrect declaration to the exactly the same wrong port and BOTH marine v-sat systems totaling nearly a quarter million dollars were seized and never seen again.

I would seek compensation from ShipItTo (or whoever your freight consolidator/forwarder was) for NOT knowing the e-cigarette was prohibited in LOS.

24 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Hey smo,  Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful reply.  Everything you said sounds logical and I think I will follow up as you suggested.  One problem though is the fact that Customs in BANGKOK is holding the package.  I am in Chiang Mai.  When you suggest "going back to them in person" are you suggesting that I do this through the local THAI POST office, the local CUSTOMS office at CNX airport, or Customs in BANGKOK?  Obviously, the latter would not be worth the effort.

Expanding on my earlier comment, the provincial Customs offices in Thailand can be a bit of a minefield when it comes to what's dutiable and what's not. I have heard about stuff being 'cleared' through Bangkok only to languish at the Customs office in Nong Khai (nearest to Udon Thani) awaiting either a decision by some official who's perpetually absent or a 'consideration' from the consignee... or both. But most times it's a bit of a black hole.

On 5/30/2018 at 12:11 PM, Kohsamida said:

I finally called Customs on the phone today.  Apparently they need clarification on my declaration.  I don't know why the didn't reach out to me and let me know that.  They want me to email a description of each item, even though a detailed declaration was already included in the shipment.

Unfortunately, I think I know what the issue is.  The package is a consolidated shipment from a mail forwarder in the States.  It consists of a bunch of stuff I bought from Amazon, eBay, and a few other online stores.  One of the items was an e-Cigarette ?  I didn't realize at the time of purchase it was "illegal" in Thailand.  So, I'm guessing that's what's causing the hold-up.  Still though, I don't know why they haven't sent me a notice or anything.  I guess there's still hope that the bureaucratic wheels of Thai Customs grind very slowly and maybe I'll end up receiving my package intact (including the e-cig)???  What do you think??

Change your phone number and address . If you go to claim toot ecig, you would be arrested and charged with importation of prohibited device . Huge fine and possible jail term. 

If tracking has not been updated it’s a huge bonus for you, contact the shipper and claim lost package.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Change your phone number and address . If you go to claim toot ecig, you would be arrested and charged with importation of prohibited device . Huge fine and possible jail term. 

If tracking has not been updated it’s a huge bonus for you, contact the shipper and claim lost package.

Change my phone & address...you mean, move to a new location, all because of one e-cig?  Isn’t that being a bit paranoid and extreme?

On 5/30/2018 at 1:03 AM, observer90210 said:

Such rackets from the corrupt Thai Customs, is why e-commerce will never...never develop in Thailand, unfortunately.

Yes. Ecommerce has done wonders for British High Streets and small retail outlets. There are plenty of good shops here. Why not use them?

Edited by The manic

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

Change my phone & address...you mean, move to a new location, all because of one e-cig?  Isn’t that being a bit paranoid and extreme?

How you feel is entirely your choice. Possession and importation of a prohibited item are very different matters . Claiming you did not know , will not work as ignorance usually not accepted as an excuse.

bottom line is up to you, I only advised you of harsh penalties for importation of prohibited items.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:09 AM, Kohsamida said:

Sorry I confused with another poster who said had gone to customs in person. You have only called them....The way things stand right now is customs is waiting for your declaration of items and once they receive it they will proceed with clearing it and then (hopefully no more glitches this time with the e-cigar confisticated out of the way) forwarding it to your local PO. The latter will send you a notice to pick up once they have it in possession. 

What raised my eyebrow is customs "suggesting" you abandoning "it". Such suggestion seems odd (government authorities don't usually suggest, it's the job of your lawyer) and "it" means what, just the item or the whole package? Anyway, send the declaration to customs, wait for a week, then go to your local PO and ask them to check on the status of the package. Make sure you go with a Thai friend this time, more often than not a whole new world opens up when thai is spoken and more importantly, understood. If PO says it's still stuck in customs, then you have a legit reason to call them again. Do so and once they recognize the case, meaning they say, oh yes, you have called before and let's see...then pass the phone to your thai advocate and let him/her do the talking. Lots of work but I wouldn't abandon my 450 bucks worth of items so easily.

• 3 months later...

I have a electric guitar used not new arrived in customs Lat Thursday at about 10.30 tracking updated to held by customs 

Its still in customs 

I have been using here cargo company in the past to ship some things to Europe 

And they really friendly 

I have asked them to help twice they called customs 

Only to hear they checking it and will let us know if I have to pay or not 

Its shipped to. Me as foreign tourist 

On cargo office adress 

Any hope? 

I'm getting very worried 

Sorry I confused with another poster who said had gone to customs in person. You have only called them....The way things stand right now is customs is waiting for your declaration of items and once they receive it they will proceed with clearing it and then (hopefully no more glitches this time with the e-cigar confisticated out of the way) forwarding it to your local PO. The latter will send you a notice to pick up once they have it in possession. 

What raised my eyebrow is customs "suggesting" you abandoning "it". Such suggestion seems odd (government authorities don't usually suggest, it's the job of your lawyer) and "it" means what, just the item or the whole package? Anyway, send the declaration to customs, wait for a week, then go to your local PO and ask them to check on the status of the package. Make sure you go with a Thai friend this time, more often than not a whole new world opens up when thai is spoken and more importantly, understood. If PO says it's still stuck in customs, then you have a legit reason to call them again. Do so and once they recognize the case, meaning they say, oh yes, you have called before and let's see...then pass the phone to your thai advocate and let him/her do the talking. Lots of work but I wouldn't abandon my 450 bucks worth of items so easily.
Is it better to ask Thai people to call customs or i have to call
Because 2 times Thai people called for me
And got answer we checking it still...
Its been about a week so far
The item is used not even new
And they just holding it with no end in sight or any news what so ever

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 months later...