British man beaten by 10 Chinese in Cambodia for having 'Taiwan' tattooed on his forehead

webfact

British man beaten by 10 Chinese in Cambodia for having 'Taiwan' tattooed on his forehead

British man with 'Taiwan' tattoo on forehead beaten by 10 Chinese in Cambodia

By Keoni Everington,Taiwan News, Staff Writer

brit.jpg

Paul after brutal attack. (By Taiwan News)

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) -- A British man was savagely beaten by nearly a dozen Chinese men in a small city in Cambodia when they discovered he had "Taiwan" tattooed on his forehead and he refused to recognize their claim that the country is part of China. 

While on vacation in Cambodia, a British ex-pat who has lived in Taiwan for 14 years and goes by the name "Paul," at around 11 p.m. on Saturday evening (May 27) took a seat at a bar in Sihanoukville Square in the coastal Cambodian city of Sihanoukville. When he ordered a drink and took off his hat, a large group of Chinese men sitting nearby, who he believed to be overseas workers, noticed that the traditional Chinese characters for  "Taiwan" (臺灣) were tattooed on his forehead. 

One of the Chinese men then shouted in Mandarin "Taiwan, China! In response, Paul retorted "Taiwan, Taiwan!" Paul says that they then "went insane, grabbed poles and started attacking me."

Full story: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3441614

-- Taiwan News 2018-05-28

• Haha 2

There must be a reason for this , 14 years in Taiwan , what did he do there , and why a Taiwan tattoo on his forehead. 

He doesn't look that old to me , maybe he grew up there? 

Reading more about this man gives you an interesting insight . 

From Taiwan News. 

The British-born man, who rocketed to fame yesterday for having enormous Chinese characters meaning "Taiwan" tattooed on his forehead and a Taiwan independence flag scrawled on his chin, was arrested early this morning in Kaohsiung for drunk driving, reported Liberty Times"

And in another news story

"Ferrell was previously arrested for committing arson when he hurled a Molotov cocktail at a Family Mart out of rage over a hamburger in 2015."

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

So right.  Have been here in Taiwan for 17+ years and know how serious this matter of Taiwan recognition is on both sides of the strait.  I would have just smiled / turned myself away from the Chinese after the comment from them.  I would never put my nose in their business here or any other country and best to just walk away when it's not your concern.  Seems this guy didn't do that and he paid the price.....hard to feel sorry for him.   

Guess it´s overall hard to feel sorry at all for somebody that puts a tattoo in his forehead. Like printing a t-shirt with the print, "I am Stupid" and wear it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Like printing a t-shirt with the print, "I am Stupid" and wear it. 

Like printing a t-shit with the print, "Feel Free to Beat Me" and wear it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Jerry787

well if you go in a street full of thieves and show you got lot of money waiving them around, of course they will assault you....

then a british with a taiwan logo on forehead... why he didnt have God save the queen ? 

it wasn't the chinese characters on his forehead that got the chinese characters in the bar all riled up.  as noted by @balo, he had " a Taiwan tattoo on his forehead and a Taiwan independence flag on his chin".

chinese can be insanely nationalistic.  get 'em in a group, feed 'em liquor....last thing you wanna do is mention the three T's!  (taiwan, tiananmen, tibet)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, car720 said:

I have a tattoo of a little fish on my head.

It is for catholic women who can't eat meat on Friday.  :cheesy:

When you say on your "head", can we assume it is on your little head rather than the one on top of your shoulders?  In which case your post makes sense ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

When you say on your "head", can we assume it is on your little head rather than the one on top of your shoulders?  In which case your post makes sense ?

and it turns into a whale in the end.