Landlords petition Prayut to kill new tenant protections

webfact

Landlords petition Prayut to kill new tenant protections

By The Nation

Business operators on Monday urged Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to cancel a Consumer Protection Board measure implemented on May 1 to protect customers from being overcharged on utility fees by hostels, apartments or rented rooms in residential buildings.

Another measure prohibits landlords from removing the belongings of a tenant alleged to have breached a rental contract and to instead take the matter to court.

The new regulations cause them a financial burden, the 60-strong business group pleaded, as they filed a petition to the premier at the Public Service Centre in Government House.

It was impractical to follow the new requirement to charge no more then the electricity and tap-water fees charged by the authorities to the business, they said, because an individual apartment’s monthly bill cycle date might not match the dates on the bill from power and water authorities.

If they abided by the new rule, landlords would carry this burden, they said. And so they could not adhere to the new regulation and would risk punishment, they said.

A new rule allowing tenants to cancel a rental contract before an agreed period without consequence, would affect the landlords' business and marketing planning, and create additional room-repairing costs whenever a tenant left prematurely, they said.

Another new rule prohibiting landlords from cancelling a rental contract without giving the tenant a 30-day advance notice also “overly protects” tenants who had disturbed others or broken the law from being evicted, said the petitioners.

The group's leader Ratchata Tantiwittayakul said the board had also failed to seek prior input or ask for cooperation from the businesses most affected before implementation. She said a new announcement on the matter should be made and reflect the input of owners of room-rental businesses.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30346427

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-28
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Not surprised. They want to continue overcharging.

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Not surprised. They want to continue overcharging.

Still they can overcharging whit 20 % according to the law.

37 minutes ago, pookiki said:

My landlord only lowered the charges for electricity and water by one baht under the new regulations.   I'm fairly certain that these new rates do not comply with the law. However, OCPB never issued any clear guidelines on the manner in which the new regulations were to be implemented.  This leave landlords with a lot of 'wiggle' room and most tenants (including me) will not want to get into an extended pissing match with their landlords.

The maximum that can now be charged is 6 baht per unit, i.e., normal price plus 20%. More than that, and the landlord can be fined 100 000 baht or go to prison for 1 year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our apartment has lowered the electricity rates, however there is a new "maintenance fee" ostensibly for the cleaning and security services. It all balances out around the same amount I guess.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

The maximum that can now be charged is 6 baht per unit, i.e., normal price plus 20%. More than that, and the landlord can be fined 100 000 baht or go to prison for 1 year.

I wish it was as easy at that. Residential electricity can be billed under three different methods - two are graduated scales based on usage and one is based on 'time' of usage. Water is billed on a graduated scale based on usage. In some apartment buildings, there are ONLY individual meters for each room. However, most apartment buildings have a 'master' meter for billing purposes for water and electricity and then tenants are billed by individual usage.  There is nothing in the law that speaks to the maximum charge. The law says that tenants are to pay the same rates as applies to residences.  There is no such thing as  'normal' price.   In the case of a master meter situation, the only thing the landlord can do is to average the normal cost associated with usage. This method will punish those who conserve and reward those who don't.

36 minutes ago, pookiki said:

I wish it was as easy at that. Residential electricity can be billed under three different methods - two are graduated scales based on usage and one is based on 'time' of usage. Water is billed on a graduated scale based on usage. In some apartment buildings, there are ONLY individual meters for each room. However, most apartment buildings have a 'master' meter for billing purposes for water and electricity and then tenants are billed by individual usage.  There is nothing in the law that speaks to the maximum charge. The law says that tenants are to pay the same rates as applies to residences.  There is no such thing as  'normal' price.   In the case of a master meter situation, the only thing the landlord can do is to average the normal cost associated with usage. This method will punish those who conserve and reward those who don't.

OIC, so let's just fall back to a method which generates nice gains for the landlord and ignores the natural rights of tenants.

• Like 1

I just talked to my landlord....no more 8 THB per unit.  Now 5..but they are adding a 290 per month service fee...but still better for me.  I was barely able to keep my usage below 200 units in my studio, during these hot months.  Always older aircon units in these places, too.  Water is now 31, and was 25...but there was a 200 minimum.  She swore they were losing money, as it cost them 31....but how many use 7 or more units in studios?  very few.  In the provinces...she assured me water is less in BKK metro.  I just bought a place, anyway....should have done this when I signed the lease in February.  They knew it was coming.  Low rent and high bills is more likely to attract lowlifes, IMO.  With the exception of a few, who are gone most of the time.

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

I just talked to my landlord....no more 8 THB per unit.  Now 5..but they are adding a 290 per month service fee...but still better for me.  I was barely able to keep my usage below 200 units in my studio, during these hot months.  Always older aircon units in these places, too.  Water is now 31, and was 25...but there was a 200 minimum.  She swore they were losing money, as it cost them 31....but how many use 7 or more units in studios?  very few.  In the provinces...she assured me water is less in BKK metro.  I just bought a place, anyway....should have done this when I signed the lease in February.  They knew it was coming.  Low rent and high bills is more likely to attract lowlifes, IMO.  With the exception of a few, who are gone most of the time.

Obviously, when you allow "service charges" and the like to pad bills, there is no real savings. The only answer is prices being dictated by a central authority. Landlords NEVER have enough profit to satisfy them.

• Like 1