Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

4 hours ago, petermik said:

let me know if you are going to try one....I,ll gladly take the beans and sausage from you...p.s. how bout the fried bread also :thumbsup:

Fried tattie scones?? That's with a Scottish breakfast.

Just now, possum1931 said:

Villa Supermarket?????? Some of their prices are way over the top, and please don't mention them in the same sentence as Foodland where they are not so greedy with their prices.

He only knows advertising. That's his job. It would be a waste of time comparing the importance of  Villa Market in the mid 90s to Villa Market anywhere today ..(including 33/1)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

but he is suggesting that the english fry up is symbolic of WESTERN expats!  As far as I know the term western means more than just England

Yeah, there's Scotland too.??????? Oh! Sorry??.

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Wow- you seem to have a real (egg and) chip on your shoulder about the Brits (and no I'm not one). Care to share with us where you come from?

I know what my first and second guess will be!

He is Australian, you can tell by the big mouser.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

An Aussie brekkie & an Irish Brekkie can bear a striking resemblance to an "English" brekkie. Come to think of it, the Scots & the Welsh brekkies can do too!

As to your point about the state of Pattaya, I think it started to become as it is when it became an R & R center for American GI's. Also, sex sells, whichever the nationality.

Also, Thai cuisine is (rightly) famous the World over, I don't think that includes the plates of various insects on offer, or the chicks inside the eggs??! We can do a hatchet job on most country's food if we want.

The Scottish breakfast is the only one that has tattie scones.

black pudding, white pudding, nuff said.  oh and even the hotels mess up the bacon here, its either fried to death or put in boiling water.

and enough of the yank breakfast <deleted> is a biscuit anyhow

Various troll and derogatory posts have been removed. Don't like the topic then move on but do not leave your vitriolic comments on here for others to read.

59 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Villa Supermarket?????? Some of their prices are way over the top, and please don't mention them in the same sentence as Foodland where they are not so greedy with their prices.

Villa Supermarket is a Norwegian Blue pining for the fjords but Dan Cheeseman thinks it's just resting......Beautiful plumage though...

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, poanoi said:

in case this isnt some sort of joke i dont get:

in 13 years i have never heard of Siamburis, Siam Expat Foods, Huay Yai Corner store and Ban Chang Expat Mart

It is actually Siambury's and it is on the darkside,not particularly cheap,unless you count the heavily reduced out of date/near end of date stock.

images-1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kenny Boy said:

It is actually Siambury's and it is on the darkside,not particularly cheap,unless you count the heavily reduced out of date/near end of date stock.

images-1.jpg

ah, ok, i dont go to the dark side on a voluntary basis,

i dont even want to know whats there.

i lived there for a year, and while i saved more money than ever in my life,

i have never had so ungodly boring life, except for cambodia that was even worse.

far too far away from gogo to have a night out

• Like 1

As far as breakfasts go, French got it right. Heavy duty caffeine and a croissant is the proper way to get the engine going. Can't imagine wolfing down the English pile without busting a gut in the morning.

• Like 2

The Brit Breaky in Thailand is myth. I have never found any decent sausages for a start. They always have a thick plastic skin, which is liable to choke you if you try to swallow it. As for Heinz bake beans I gave up on those years ago, with its limp weak sauce. HP or Cross & Blackwell have a much stronger sauce and flavour. Your bacon is most likely to be German anyway, but stay away from the green & Pink shell eggs as the whites are grey and the yolks are black. The Brit Breaky here is a lookalike substitute nothing more.

7 hours ago, poanoi said:

in case this isnt some sort of joke i dont get:

in 13 years i have never heard of Siamburis, Siam Expat Foods, Huay Yai Corner store and Ban Chang Expat Mart

They all have pages on facebook, with maps...

6 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

They all have pages on facebook, with maps...

Not all want to have a US spy tracing their every move. Might help if they put their shops on Google Maps and paid for some ads.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Not all want to have a US spy tracing their every move. Might help if they put their shops on Google Maps and paid for some ads.

One of them, Huay Yai Corner Store can be found on Google maps, the other three not.

1 minute ago, Jonah Tenner said:

One of them, Huay Yai Corner Store can be found on Google maps, the other three not.

Well I guess that explains it. I use Googles maps and assistant all the time and it often shows me new restaurants, etc. Given that most here have Android phones and AFAIK listing in maps is free, some one should suggest them to do it.

Might get a few baht from me too, although my usual Makro-BigC-Lotus-Friendship-Foodland-Villa already stocks all I need.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Koh Larn, Koh Samet, Koh Chang all within easy reach of Pattaya, so why do I never hear debate on the social networks about where is the best places to stay, what can you do on the islands and the likes

Larn and Samet were <deleted> long ago, and Chang was on the way to becoming one when I visited many years ago.

If people want a decent island they have to go farther afield.

Anyway, what's wrong with a nice big breakfast occasionally? One shouldn't indulge every day, or one is going to become obese, but as a treat now and then, yummy.

1 hour ago, William C F Pierce said:

The Brit Breaky in Thailand is myth. I have never found any decent sausages for a start. They always have a thick plastic skin, which is liable to choke you if you try to swallow it. As for Heinz bake beans I gave up on those years ago, with its limp weak sauce. HP or Cross & Blackwell have a much stronger sauce and flavour. Your bacon is most likely to be German anyway, but stay away from the green & Pink shell eggs as the whites are grey and the yolks are black. The Brit Breaky here is a lookalike substitute nothing more.

You just haven't had one in a decent restaurant. The place I get big breakfasts in Pattaya has lovely snags.

What's wrong with adding some HP sauce to the baked beans? A decent restaurant will have such as standard.

What is a myth though, is that they cost 99 baht. I haven't seen a proper one at that price in years.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is a myth though, is that they cost 99 baht. I haven't seen a proper one at that price in years.

I think if you join a certain facebook group , you'll find members there claiming the 99 baht English breakfast is the best in town .  

Retox group and Sports Lounge are often mentioned. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You just haven't had one in a decent restaurant. The place I get big breakfasts in Pattaya has lovely snags.

What's wrong with adding some HP sauce to the baked beans? A decent restaurant will have such as standard.

Perfectly adequate English breakfasts in Pattaya for 100/99/98 Baht.

Fit for purpose, simple as that. 

14 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Perfectly adequate English breakfasts in Pattaya for 100/99/98 Baht.

Fit for purpose, simple as that. 

Photos please.

Usually cheap "big breakfasts" omit something that should be included, and one has to order it separately. One restaurant I used omitted the baked beans, and a side order of them cost 45 baht, or half as much as the initial meal.

I like hash browns as part of a big breakfast, and almost never included, and certainly not for 99 baht.

BTW, I recently visited London and the old cafes where one could get an English big breakfast have closed where I stayed. The nearest I could get was in a Lebanese restaurant, and they really didn't have a clue about how to do it properly. Didn't even include tea or coffee or toast.

8 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Wow- you seem to have a real (egg and) chip on your shoulder about the Brits (and no I'm not one). Care to share with us where you come from?

I know what my first and second guess will be!

Got to be an OZ, surprising how many go out of their way to hide where they come from, the one you're referring too does'nt post anymore after your polite request to share identity! 

11 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

I wonder if other nationalities are so concerned about finding what they left behind when they emigrate? Somehow I doubt it! Brits are a weird lot!

People are always looking for vegemite. Whatever that is.

The place I get big breakfasts in Pattaya has lovely snags.

No myth about the price at Retox. It includes everything one would expect to have in an English breakfast, complete with a sachet of sauce.
  • Like 1