Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Photos please.

Usually cheap "big breakfasts" omit something that should be included, and one has to order it separately. One restaurant I used omitted the baked beans, and a side order of them cost 45 baht, or half as much as the initial meal.

I like hash browns as part of a big breakfast, and almost never included, and certainly not for 99 baht.

BTW, I recently visited London and the old cafes where one could get an English big breakfast have closed where I stayed. The nearest I could get was in a Lebanese restaurant, and they really didn't have a clue about how to do it properly. Didn't even include tea or coffee or toast.

As advised, Breakfast Club Pattaya on FB will get you to Retox, The Haven etc.

Hash browns are not part of an English breakfast..... I enjoy them as well but they are American.

Adding hash browns, mushrooms, tomatoes, black pudding etc is not a sin... ?

21 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

C'mon now....who would not enjoy 2 or 3 times a week,  a good  hefty good english/US breakfast with the poached eggs, beans etc !!?!!

Just watch on that cholesterol please !!

watching it's ingestion doesnt help much. That breakfast 2 or 3 times a week is too much

14 hours ago, LennyW said:

Thats why it says "English fry up" in the title!!

The tiltle claims it's symbolic of "Western Expats"

Spanish? Italians? Icelanders? Swiss? French?

16 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

I wonder if other nationalities are so concerned about finding what they left behind when they emigrate? Somehow I doubt it! Brits are a weird lot!

You ever traveled round a few countries with  a Thai? I have, and one of the most important daily tasks was working out where the next Thai-compatible food was coming from. Same same but different. IMO Thais are even worse than the Brits in needing there own food. Brits eat rice. Try getting Thais to live off potatoes for a few days!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bermondburi said:

You ever traveled round a few countries with  a Thai? I have, and one of the most important daily tasks was working out where the next Thai-compatible food was coming from. Same same but different. IMO Thais are even worse than the Brits in needing there own food. Brits eat rice. Try getting Thais to live off potatoes for a few days!

the thais I know that have emigrated eat lots of western food

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

the thais I know that have emigrated eat lots of western food

different folks different strokes. Been living in the ME with the Mrs for 6 years. We still make regular trips down to the local Phil/Indian town area. 

Strangest thing is that my wife is a chef and makes some of the best pizza and lasagna you'll ever have

2 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Hello, interesting thread. Thais on holiday are exactly the same, they crave their own food. Just recently I was on an Australian P&O cruise. There was a Thai family on it and I picked up on what they were saying. The farang food on board wasn't up to scratch for them, bland and boring. One day I sat next to the older Thai man and a younger Thai female on the cruise came up to him with a MAMA Fast noodles pack (Thai writing on the pack), that was what she was going to have despite a buffet offering maybe 50 different dishes.....so funny, just add water.

About Pattaya, well I eat loads of Thai food. Somtam, pad krapows, everything. BUT, I love the occasional English breakfast too. My favourite is a nice little open air restaurant in Pattaya New Plaza, very nice and you can find it yourselves as I don't want you all turning up at the same time as it only seats about 10 people. Nothing wrong with straying away from the Thai food every now and again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, I recently visited London and the old cafes where one could get an English big breakfast have closed where I stayed. The nearest I could get was in a Lebanese restaurant, and they really didn't have a clue about how to do it properly. Didn't even include tea or coffee or toast.

Old Oak Cafe  Willesden   run by Filipinos    very good  " breakfast"

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5281888,-0.2507809,3a,75y,107.88h,83.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sar4wNC49Sfl6uXhfQdWf8w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And long may He keep them checking and unblocking arteries, while we continue to enjoy His manna from Heaven - the full English.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

explains a lot. I'm beginning to understand why theyre the way they are and the healthcare system the way it is

Edited by AYJAYDEE

11 hours ago, Jip99 said:

As advised, Breakfast Club Pattaya on FB will get you to Retox, The Haven etc.

And there you have total opposites within a space of 20m...

The Haven = top quality products cooked perfectly with an excellently brewed coffee

Retox = cheap products, overcooked, floating in oil with a warm brown liquid (It also comes with an orange warm liquid too)

It is up to the individual to decide which one is "English"...

explains a lot. I'm beginning to understand why theyre the way they are and the healthcare system the way it is

You're not far wrong. The "continental" breakfast has never taken off in England, and maybe we are ultimately paying the price for such fine breakfast fare.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app