British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand

webfact

British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand

am.jpg

She is now running a 5k in Edinburgh to raise cash for Stroke Association charity// The Scottish Sun

A British woman was left paralysed after a suffering stroke while sitting on a cramped bus for 14 hours in Thailand.

Ashley Macrae, 23, from Scotland, had been on the bus travelling from Cambodia to Bangkok last year when she developed a blood clot in her leg which travelled through an unknown hole in her heart.

“I had spent 14 hours on a bus from Cambodia to Bangkok. I was really squashed and didn’t really move at all during the journey, she told the Scottish Sun.

“I was just there a few hours and started to feel very dizzy. I hadn’t drunk any alcohol but thought my drink had maybe been spiked or I had eaten something dodgy.

“I couldn’t walk properly and my face had started to droop. My friends said straight away that I needed to get medical help.”

“I had no control over my body and I didn’t understand what was going on, she told the Daily Record.

“As soon as I got to hospital they took me for an MRI scan. They said there had been a bleed in the brain and that I’d had a stroke.

“I said, ‘Surely not’. Strokes were something that happened to old people, not people like me. I’m a healthy 22-year-old, I go to the gym, I’m not obese and I don’t smoke.”

Now back in the UK, Ashley has now made a full recovery and is this weekend took part in a 5K run to raise funds for the Stroke Association.

“The money we raise for this charity goes to helping stroke survivors who haven’t had a full recovery who may need help to speak, read or write again, Ashley wrote on her JustGiving page.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-29
  • Like 2

That's bad luck at such an early age.

Sad thing is, after one stroke, they often happen again with greater frequency and more serious effects.

Probably the end of her getting holiday insurance.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, connda said:

Can happen in a bus or a plane or a train.  Gotta plan for it.  You need to routinely get up and move.

Canhappen anywhere.

But as you can move around easily in a train, and the route is possible by train instead by bus, take the train.

Many a young person buys a cheap, second hand motorbike and tours Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.   That may be a better and safer option over a sitting in cramped bus for 14 hours.  She probably spent like $7 for that ride, but it is not worth it at all.  It is best to spend the money on a decent bus company that allows you some room.  Many of the cheap buses in Cambodia carry all sorts of cargo in the passenger area and make all kinds of detours and unscheduled stops. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Poor girl, those third world bus marathons are a nightmare, thankfully she has made a full recovery. Sitting anywhere for 14 hours is unnatural, and dangerous to your health. Our bodies are made for movement, and plenty of it. Never take a bus if a train is an option, try to get an aisle seat on a plane so it is easier to walk around. loosen your belt and other tight accoutrements. 

if  u can afford it fly  business  class.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

That's bad luck at such an early age.

Sad thing is, after one stroke, they often happen again with greater frequency and more serious effects.

Probably the end of her getting holiday insurance.

Don't think so, I have the same insurance every year for 20 years, I had a stroke in Thailand 4 years ago the insurance paid all the hospital bills, repatriated my wife and I back to Europe in Business class. got repatriated last year with a severe infection. last week broke my car clutch in Paris France, was repatriated separate with the car. the car was in a garage near my place the next day....there are bad insurances and there are good ones !!! I have a excellent one !!!

surprising it happened to athletic young person. goes to prove that basic health rules should be followed. move your limbs to keep circulation going.

if opportunity permits you  must walk around a little.

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Poor girl, those third world bus marathons are a nightmare, thankfully she has made a full recovery. Sitting anywhere for 14 hours is unnatural, and dangerous to your health. Our bodies are made for movement, and plenty of it. Never take a bus if a train is an option, try to get an aisle seat on a plane so it is easier to walk around. loosen your belt and other tight accoutrements. 

"Third World bus marathon" ? Really? Thai buses are top of the line, long distance haulers.

But yes walk around, get out of your seat, and stretch your legs. Why is a train better?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sahibji said:

it is not funny. somebody's life has been impacted.

My question was not meant to be funny, I wanted to know what was the point of his post !

2 hours ago, trd said:

She was paralyzed and now she's made a full recovery and running?

She is young. Stroke is traditionally associated with elderly people but can happen to all. Great chance that she lives a fit and healthy life and makes the right lifestyle choices all will be fine. I know as i suffered a stroke af 47 and now swim daily 1 kilometre every day. She's turning it around from being a victim to taking control and others here who blog BS all day should take heed.

Edited by SpeakeasyThai
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasRanger said:

Don't rely on compression socks, I was wearing a pair and still had multiple clots in my lungs. Forget that in seat exercising and get up whenever possible and keep hydrated. 

well summed up. keeps limbs moving and keep your toes and fingers moving regularly.

Just now, off road pat said:

My question was not meant to be funny, I wanted to know what was the point of his post !

sorry so was my response directed at the original  post.