Pretty much sums up my experience here

JAZZDOG

If those kinds of things sum up your experience in Thailand, Thailand is a big enough place. Maybe time to go somewhere else in Thailand ... or back on your ketch.

Image result for thailand map superimposed on usa

Edited by JLCrab

34 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

If those kinds of things sum up your experience in Thailand, Thailand is a big enough place. Maybe time to go somewhere else in Thailand ... or back on your ketch.

Image result for thailand map superimposed on usa

You're not right too often but you might be on to something. Didn't know Thailand was just a bit smaller than Texas, with 70M as opposed to 22M people. That explains allot of the problems. Came here to pickup my vessel and sail around a bit.

Sold it and hung out here for a year is about enough for me. Overall a good experience, visited 10 countries. You gave me a great idea, thanks!

• Like 1

No need to go all the way to Texas. 

Come on up to Issan!  It's got plenty of trash, noodles, cows, cotton, Buttwiper beer in cans, and blue grass pickin' cowboys wearing hats. ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

No need to go all the way to Texas. 

Come on up to Issan!  It's got plenty of trash, noodles, cows, cotton, Buttwiper beer in cans, and blue grass pickin' cowboys wearing hats. ?

same, same but way different

From the movie the Big Country (McKay -- Gregory Peck a former New England Sea Captain now in Texas):

Rancher: Well, Mr. McKay, how do you like this country?
McKay: I like it very much.
Rancher: Did you ever see anything so big?
McKay, Well yes.
Rancher - You have? What?
McKay - A couple of oceans.

Rancher: Well, I declare! Excuse me.

Image result for the big country movie script

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

From the movie the Big Country (McKay -- Gregory Peck a former New England Sea Captain now in Texas):

Rancher: Well, Mr. McKay, how do you like this country?
McKay: I like it very much.
Rancher: Did you ever see anything so big?
McKay, Well yes.
Rancher - You have? What?
McKay - A couple of oceans.

Rancher: Well, I declare! Excuse me.

Image result for the big country movie script

No matter how big a boat you have it becomes very small in the middle of an ocean.

That's why so many boats for sale here, cant really go back east and west is pretty hairy. Take your pick, storms or African banditos on pandas.

well without getting too far adrift (55) I'll just say that I read the linked story in Post #1 and none of what seems to annoy him seems to have any relation to my daily life here in the boondocks of Isaan.

6 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

well without getting too far adrift (55) I'll just say that I read the linked story in Post #1 and none of what seems to annoy him seems to have any relation to my daily life here in the boondocks of Isaan.

Glad you enjoy it but I did the boonies for 10 years in costa rica, that's enough for me

I've got used to the occasional confronting sight in Thailand. Perhaps I'm acquiring Thai habits - evade or avoid.

Sometimes I see the funny side. Like being fined 1000 baht in Phan for out-of-date registration at 11 am. The cops on the checkpoint had the checkpoint packed up and were gone about 90 seconds after I handed over the 1000 baht.

OP, haven't you worked out it is normal here to overtake on the inside lane when Somchai is doing 30 km/hr on the outside lane?

Edited by Lacessit

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've got used to the occasional confronting sight in Thailand. Perhaps I'm acquiring Thai habits - evade or avoid.

Sometimes I see the funny side. Like being fined 1000 baht in Phan for out-of-date registration at 11 am. The cops on the checkpoint had the checkpoint packed up and were gone about 90 seconds after I handed over the 1000 baht.

OP, haven't you worked out it is normal here to overtake on the inside lane when Somchai is doing 30 km/hr on the outside lane?

Still trying to figure out why these silly fools are driving on the wrong side of the road or why they ride 4 on a moto with surgical masks and no helmets. Something tells me it might be another 200 years before they introduce self- driving cars here. Actually if you think about it they ought to mandate exclusively self-driving cars here, it would save 50,000 lives a year! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Still trying to figure out why these silly fools are driving on the wrong side of the road or why they ride 4 on a moto with surgical masks and no helmets. Something tells me it might be another 200 years before they introduce self- driving cars here. Actually if you think about it they ought to mandate exclusively self-driving cars here, it would save 50,000 lives a year! 

Self drive cars are not all they are cracked up to be.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Self drive cars are not all they are cracked up to be.

Give it a few years to sort it out. I believe even with the current technology a driverless car is much safer than one with a Thai behind the wheel

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

This 2016 Tesla on autopilot fatality in Florida is only a few miles from where I stayed just last month.

Image result for tesla fatality williston florida

You actually think a drunk Thai driver or a ten year old would be safer?

5 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Didn't know Thailand was just a bit smaller than Texas, with 70M as opposed to 22M people.

Yes-- in area it's somewhere between California and Texas.  (This topic came up in a discussion with my Thai teacher once... she wondered just how much smaller Thailand was than the U.S., so I googled it for our next lesson.)

42 minutes ago, Katia said:

Yes-- in area it's somewhere between California and Texas.  (This topic came up in a discussion with my Thai teacher once... she wondered just how much smaller Thailand was than the U.S., so I googled it for our next lesson.)

Wow, and Cal has 40M plus TX 22M= 62M<<<<<<<Thailand 70M. Twice as densely populated. Sure seems like it in Pattaya. And sure like 5 times as many motos