Thai Newspaper Headlines

meadish_sweetball

โมหิณี is the name if his cat, the one he always put her character in his article. She is the cat who always give him wise and sarcastic comments.

'อีนัง' is used as Meadish has explained. Sometimes you would see on his article that he addressed his cat as อีโมหิณี or นังแมวขี้โมโห( โมหิณี also mean angry)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ตำรวจวันนี้ [16 ต.ค. 50 - 19:10]

เมื่อวันที่ 13 ต.ค.ที่ผ่านมา สำนักงานตำรวจแห่งชาติจัดงานวัน ตำรวจยิ่งใหญ่กว่าทุกปี มีพิธีถวายสัตย์ปฏิญาณและสวนสนามที่สนาม ราชมังคลากีฬาสถาน เพื่อถวายพระพรชัยมงคล เนื่องในโอกาสที่พระบาทสมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัวทรงเจริญพระชนมพรรษา 80 พรรษา

พล.อ.สุรยุทธ์ จุลานนท์ นายกรัฐมนตรี ไปเป็นประธาน พล.ต.อ.เสรีพิศุทธ์ เตมียาเวส ผบ.ตร. นำตัวแทนตำรวจจากทุกกองบัญชาการเข้าร่วม

เต็มสนามกว่า 5 หมื่นคน

มีการถ่ายทอดสดทางทีวีช่อง 11 และสถานีวิทยุหลายคลื่นในเครือข่ายของตำรวจ

ทำให้ประชาชนที่เข้าไปร่วมชมในสนามกีฬาและผู้ชมผู้ฟังการถ่ายทอดสด ต่างประทับใจในความแข็งขันของตำรวจ

ที่ตั้งใจจะปฏิบัติหน้าที่เพื่อประเทศชาติและประชาชน

วันเดียวกัน สถานีวิทยุ สวพ.91 หรือสถานีวิทยุพิทักษ์สันติราษฎร์ ได้เปิดเผยผลสำรวจความคิดเห็นของประชาชน ในหัวข้อ "ปัจจุบันคุณ... รู้สึกอย่างไรกับ เจ้าหน้าที่ตำรวจ"

จากผู้ฟังเกือบ 2 พันคน

ผลการสำรวจเป็นที่น่ายินดี เมื่อประชาชนร้อยละ 68.7 รู้สึกดีและเห็นใจการปฏิบัติหน้าที่ของตำรวจ

ตัวเลขนี้เพิ่มมากกว่าการสำรวจเมื่อปี 2548 ถึงร้อยละ 65.37

สิ่งที่ประชาชนประทับใจตำรวจมากที่สุดคือ การบริการ รองลงไปได้แก่ ความโปร่งใสในการปฏิบัติงาน และความยุติธรรมที่ได้รับเมื่อไปติดต่อราชการ

ส่วนประชาชนที่รู้สึกไม่พอใจการปฏิบัติหน้าที่ของตำรวจ ยังมีอยู่บ้างคือร้อยละ 29.34

ความไม่พอใจมากที่สุดอยู่ที่การตั้งด่านตรวจจับและรีดไถของตำรวจจราจร

อันดับต่อมาได้แก่ คดีไม่คืบหน้า ล่าช้าในการติดตามจับกุมคนร้าย

ติดตามด้วยพฤติกรรมก้าวร้าว ไม่สุภาพของตำรวจ

สุดท้ายคือ ปัญหาอาชญากรรม ความไม่ปลอดภัยในชีวิตและทรัพย์สิน

นั่นคือสิ่งที่ต้องแก้ไข

เห็นได้ว่า ความไม่พอใจของประชาชนเป็นเรื่องเก่าๆที่รู้ๆกันอยู่แล้ว ไม่ว่าจะเป็น การตั้งด่านจับหรือรีดไถ คดีล่าช้า พฤติกรรมไม่สุภาพ และปัญหาอาชญากรรม

จึงเป็นหน้าที่ของผู้บังคับบัญชาทุกระดับชั้นที่ต้องเข้มงวดกวดขันกับลูกน้อง

ประเด็นที่น่าสนใจในการสำรวจครั้งนี้พบว่า ประชาชนร้อยละ 93.41 เคยมีประสบการณ์ในการติดต่อราชการกับตำรวจ

ดังนั้น ภาพพจน์ที่ดีของตำรวจไม่ได้อยู่ที่การถวายสัตย์ปฏิญาณ หรือสวนสนามอย่างเข้มแข็งในวันตำรวจเท่านั้น

แต่อยู่ที่การปฏิบัติงานที่ประชาชนสัมผัสได้.

"เพลิงมรกต"

could someone help me out with suitable translations for the words in red please and how they fit into the sentences.

thanks.

Here is a very small piece of the puzzle: ได้แก่ belongs together, and means 'for example' or 'such as' (note that the following text is a list of what aspects of the policework people were satisfied with).

I am not sure, but I am guessing that the entire phrase 'รองลงไปได้แก่' can be loosely translated as 'followed by'. One meaning of รอง is subordinate, and ลงไป describes succession in a downward movement, so we can visualize the different traits as a list with การบริการ (service) at the top, followed by ความโปร่งใสในการปฏิบัติงาน (transparency of work performance) and ความยุติธรรมที่ได้รับเมื่อไปติดต่อราชการ (fairness experienced when contacting the authorities).

thanks meadish ,

นำตัวแทนตำรวจจากทุกกองบัญชาการเข้าร่วม

this sentence i figured out as "brought a representative from each (district) police headquarters to join (the ceremony)

Good choice for an article to study, taxexile.

ความโปร่งใส is a relatively recent political term meaning transparency in government (i.e., the opposite of corruption). Although the component parts have always existed in the language, the term was coined by Anand to refer to public affairs and (the need for) honest conduct of officials.

Before that, there was no such term, because the very concept of demanding open and honest government was not so strong in the public discourse, according to what I have read concerning that definition of the word. It seems he took his cue from the political meaning of the English word transparency, and introduced its equivalent in Thai (in the early 1990s, I believe).

Another small paragraph from Matichon and the political struggle between Sanoh and Prasong:

เจอ "มธุรสวาจา" ของคนการเมืองพันธุ์แท้เข้าไป "เด็กอนุบาลการเมือง" อย่าง "ประชัย" ที่เคยฝันหวานประกาศว่าจะขอสัมผัสเก้าอี้ รมว.คลังในอดีต ถึงกับเคลิบเคลิ้มและอ่อนระทวย ประกาศลาออกจากพรรคประชาราชหลังร่วมอุดมการณ์กันได้เพียง 15 วัน!!

What is the meaning of "มธุรสวาจา"? I can't find the word in the Thai-English dictionaries I have but the Royal Institute Dictionary says, "มธุรส น. นํ้าผึ้ง, รสหวาน, อ้อย. ว. ไพเราะ เช่น มธุรสวาจา. (ป., ส.). " 'ma[HS]-thoo[HS]-rot[HS]' N. Honey, sweet taste, sugarcane. metaphor. 'sweet sounding', for example, 'ma[HS]-thoo[HS]-rot[HS]-waa[ML]-jaa[ML] (Pali, Sanskrit)'

(Please correct the pronounciation shown, if incorrect.)

I don't know how old this term is but it may be a parallel to the English language metaphor, "honeyed", meaning ingratiating, as in "honeyed words."

Two more words which are new to me:

เคลิบเคลิ้ม [V] enchant; fascinate; attract

อ่อนระทวย [V] be feeble; be weary; be tired; be worn out; be exhausted

The sentence might then be rendered:

"We hear these 'honeyed words' from dyed-in-the-wool politicians [like Sanoh] who [accuse] 'Prachai' of being a 'political babe-in-the-woods'. [This same Prachai] who had sweet dreams of occupying chair of the Minister of Finance, a position for which [he was both] fascinated and [the quest for which ultimately] wore him out. [Prachai] announced that he was resigning from the Royal People's Party, after having joined in [the development of a statement] of principles only 15 days ago."

I am not confident in my interpretation and would sure appreciate some assistance in helping to parse out the correct meaning of the Matichon sentence above. Thanks.

some new expressions for me there too.

but how do you arrive at "accuse" , or is that understood from a previous sentence ?

The use of the term is a guess on my part. The use of the term "babe-in-the-woods" was not intended by Khun Sunoh to be flattering. I would welcome another translation of the term "เข้าไป" in that context. One of my basic principles is that the propensity for error increases the more I need to use bracketed English words to explain a Thai sentence. And, I used a lot of brackets!

Thanks.

i dont follow thai politics and so dont know much (i.e. anything) about the characters mentioned or the intrigues they are part of , however my initial understanding of the first sentence would be

we come across these honeyed words from pure politicians (meaning, naive as opposed to businessmen/army/police who have entered the political arena bringing some real world pragmatism , clout with them) still in political kindergarten (i.e. relatively inexperienced) , like Prachai.

"เข้าไป" has got me stumped too !

i would like to use it as " not out of (political kindergarten yet) "

is prachai a relative newcomer to politics? and what is his background ? police , army ??

Another small paragraph from Matichon and the political struggle between Sanoh and Prasong:

เจอ "มธุรสวาจา" ของคนการเมืองพันธุ์แท้เข้าไป "เด็กอนุบาลการเมือง" อย่าง "ประชัย" ที่เคยฝันหวานประกาศว่าจะขอสัมผัสเก้าอี้ รมว.คลังในอดีต ถึงกับเคลิบเคลิ้มและอ่อนระทวย ประกาศลาออกจากพรรคประชาราชหลังร่วมอุดมการณ์กันได้เพียง 15 วัน!!

What is the meaning of "มธุรสวาจา"? I can't find the word in the Thai-English dictionaries I have but the Royal Institute Dictionary says, "มธุรส น. นํ้าผึ้ง, รสหวาน, อ้อย. ว. ไพเราะ เช่น มธุรสวาจา. (ป., ส.). " 'ma[HS]-thoo[HS]-rot[HS]' N. Honey, sweet taste, sugarcane. metaphor. 'sweet sounding', for example, 'ma[HS]-thoo[HS]-rot[HS]-waa[ML]-jaa[ML] (Pali, Sanskrit)'

I don't know how old this term is but it may be a parallel to the English language metaphor, "honeyed", meaning ingratiating, as in "honeyed words."

"We hear these 'honeyed words' from dyed-in-the-wool politicians [like Sanoh] who [accuse] 'Prachai' of being a 'political babe-in-the-woods'. [This same Prachai] who had sweet dreams of occupying chair of the Minister of Finance, a position for which [he was both] fascinated and [the quest for which ultimately] wore him out. [Prachai] announced that he was resigning from the Royal People's Party, after having joined in [the development of a statement] of principles only 15 days ago."

I am not confident in my interpretation and would sure appreciate some assistance in helping to parse out the correct meaning of the Matichon sentence above. Thanks.

I suspect the writer is having fun, being sarcastic regarding Prachai. Everyone knows Sanoh was putting Prachai down for political naivety. Perhaps if we made it more concise it could be translated as:

I heard sweet words from a truly professional politician referring to political babes-in-the-woods such as Prachai who once dreamed of occupying the coveted Finance Minister's seat, that fascination seems to have worn itself out.( He's announced recently he wanted to be PM).Prachai has announced his resignation from Pracharat Party after sharing their ideals for only 15 days!

มธุรสวาจา may be the high class version of คำหวาน

I have a question regarding the meaning of the following noun phrase:

บรรดาเด็กเสิร์ฟในคราบอันธพาล

คราบ , in addition to its literal meaning of "stain, mark, spot, or crust", is also used metaphorically to mean "in the guise of". อันธพาล means "delinquent; rascally; wayward; rough; unruly; refractory; recalcitrant."

What would be a meaningful translation of the entire phrase, then? Actually, I could understand the meaning more clearly if the phrase read,

"บรรดาอันธพาลในคราบเด็กเสิร์ฟ"

In effect, "ruffians in the guise of waiters." That would have a more biting meaning. Hopefully, there is a more reasonable reading.

Thanks; I appreciate both the post and for giving the reader a vocabulary list.

I've seen คราบ to refer to a snake's skin (shed) so perhaps the phrase is suggesting the waiters' real selves, hearts, skins when exposed, are thugs.

Good stuff, David. Political junkie too, eh what?

But I am confused, as always, by the syntax...

Who is speaking, and about whom, here? David suggests that the writer is talking about the way Sanoh refes to Prachai, while taxexile's take is that the writer is talking only about Prachai. Is this coming from the writer, or is it Sanoh, or, are they one and the same, or at least of like mind?

If David's interpretation is correct, I'd say that "honeyed words" might be translated as "patronizing." (Sanoh is clearly a condescending sort.)

But if taxexile is correct, the "honeyed words" might be something akin to "pie in the sky" (e.g., naivete)?

As for the second sentence, I may suggest: "...a position he coveted, but ultimately despaired (or grew weary) of attaining."

Doesn't เข้าไป mean "enter into" (politics)?

By the way, though it does say "political kindergarten," which is a very descriptive putdown, "babe in the woods" is also an outstanding translation.

Thanks for the lessons. It's a never-ending struggle to comprehend and translate.

Cheers.

By the way, though it does say "political kindergarten," which is a very descriptive putdown, "babe in the woods" is also an outstanding translation.

Of course, the phrase is literally "political kindergarten" but I thought that the more apt English equivalent is "babe in the woods." Thai syntax is my weakest point as well, especially with the written variant.

I would translate it as :

"After getting(hearing) 'honeyed words'(that he could be a candidate for the Prime Minister) from dyed-in-the-wool politicians (from other Matchima party's members), Prachai who is a a 'political babe-in-the-woods' and once had sweet dreams of occupying chair of the Minister of Finace felt like being in a dream state and felt weak (too weak to refuse the chance of getting that oppotunity). He then anounced that he was resigning from the Royal People's Party, after having shared in the same principles for only 15 days"

Professor Nithi's article in today's Matichon Weekend discusses the need for reform in the community of Buddhist monks, taking as a journalistic lead, the recent award given to the artist who painted "ภิกษุสันดานกา" or in my figurative translation, "Monks with the Heart of Crows."

Professor Nithi's writing style attempts to be conversational. In this conversational style he employs sentence and paragraph connectors which may be of use to us learners. Here are a few from his article and my attempt at translation. I welcome your thoughts, comments, and corrections:

ผมพยายามนึกถึง – "I have tried to make reference to [an intellectual connection with] . . . " (in this case, to make reference to books and other literary works)

ในความรู้อันจำกัดของผม – "To my limited knowledge . . . "

ผมรำพึงเรื่อง . . . กับตัวเอง – "I lament on the subject of . . . "

ผมฟังแล้วก็ได้แต่แหะๆ – "When I heard about . . . I could only laugh . . ."

ผมคิดอย่างไรก็คิดไม่ออกว่า – "No matter how much I consider, I cannot figure out what . . . "

มีข้อน่าสังเกตนะครับว่า – "It is interesting to note [observe] that . . . "

อย่าแก้ตัวเลยครับว่า – "Don't offer an excuse that . . ."

นี่เป็นข้อที่น่าวิตกห่วงไยว่า – "It is very worrisome [alarming] that . . . "

ดูประหนึ่งว่า – "It seems at though . . ."

I welcome your thoughts, comments, and corrections. Thanks.

This quote from the Matichon Weekly magizine takes us back to almost where Meadish started with this newspaper thread:

"ซึ่งตัวเลขนี้ ไม่ได้ออกมาโดยไม่มีที่มาที่ไป หรือ "ประชัย" นั่งเทียนคิดเอาเอง...

หากแต่มีคนนั่งบวก ลบ คูณ หาร แล้วเอามายัดใส่ "เจ้าสัวทีพีไอ" อีกทอด

ตัวเลข 120-200 ที่นั่งนั้น ทำให้ "ประชัย" มั่นใจถึงขนาดประกาศเป็นนายกรัฐมนตรีคนที่ 25 อย่างไม่เกรงหน้าอินทร์หน้าพรหม"

Here is "นั่งเทียน" which in this context appears to be equivalent to "Prachai sits alone contemplating [or gazing at] his own navel fabricating all this up by himself" (to use several trite English metaphors).

Question regarding the meaning of the predicate phrase, "อย่างไม่เกรงหน้าอินทร์หน้าพรหม". Does this mean in this context, "fearlessly" or "boldly" or "without fear of the consequences"? If not, please help me understand. Finally, where does this phrase come from?

Since we are coming back almost full circle here, I'd like to thank jeabsun and yoot for the fabulous idiom: นั่งเทียนเขียนข่าว to describe "yellow journalism."

I've found it to be a very useful, and entertaining, phrase.

Cheers.

Since we are coming back almost full circle here, I'd like to thank jeabsun and yoot for the fabulous idiom: นั่งเทียนเขียนข่าว to describe "yellow journalism."

I've found it to be a very useful, and entertaining, phrase.

Cheers.

Thanks, mangkorn. I've learned new words from you too. :o

This quote from the Matichon Weekly magizine takes us back to almost where Meadish started with this newspaper thread:

"ซึ่งตัวเลขนี้ ไม่ได้ออกมาโดยไม่มีที่มาที่ไป หรือ "ประชัย" นั่งเทียนคิดเอาเอง...

หากแต่มีคนนั่งบวก ลบ คูณ หาร แล้วเอามายัดใส่ "เจ้าสัวทีพีไอ" อีกทอด

ตัวเลข 120-200 ที่นั่งนั้น ทำให้ "ประชัย" มั่นใจถึงขนาดประกาศเป็นนายกรัฐมนตรีคนที่ 25 อย่างไม่เกรงหน้าอินทร์หน้าพรหม"

Here is "นั่งเทียน" which in this context appears to be equivalent to "Prachai sits alone contemplating [or gazing at] his own navel fabricating all this up by himself" (to use several trite English metaphors).

Question regarding the meaning of the predicate phrase, "อย่างไม่เกรงหน้าอินทร์หน้าพรหม". Does this mean in this context, "fearlessly" or "boldly" or "without fear of the consequences"? If not, please help me understand. Finally, where does this phrase come from?

อินทร์ - Indra

พรหม - the god Brahma, creator of the world, the Hindu Brahma.

อย่างไม่เกรงหน้าอินทร์หน้าพรหม - without fear of anyone. (if even with Indra and Brahma are not in your sight, means you don't care of what they think. Why you should fear of others who have less power.)

For where does this phrase come from, I'm not sure. There are many myths about these gods, so, it might be from one of them.

Thank you for that explanation. Does the phrase "นั่งเทียนเขียนข่าว " mean the following?

Yellow journalism - definition: "sensationalist news reporting: a style of journalism that makes unscrupulous use of scandalous, lurid, or sensationalized stories to attract readers."

ผมพยายามนึกถึง – "I have tried to make reference to [an intellectual connection with] . . . " (in this case, to make reference to books and other literary works)

I think this should simply mean "I have tried to think of..."

ผมพยายามนึกถึงคำพูดของคุณ - I have tired to think of your words.

ผมรำพึงเรื่อง . . . กับตัวเอง – "I lament on the subject of . . . "

It doesn't need to be lament.

รำพึง means to think of, to ponder, to reflect, to consider, to contemplate.

ผมรำพึงเรื่อง . . . กับตัวเอง - I have thought on ....to myself.

ผมรำพึงเรื่องความฝันเมื่อคืนนี้กับตัวเอง - I have thought on my dream last night to myself.

มีข้อน่าสังเกตนะครับว่า – "It is interesting to note [observe] that . . . "

There is something noticeable that ...

Thank you for that explanation. Does the phrase "นั่งเทียนเขียนข่าว " mean the following?

Yellow journalism - definition: "sensationalist news reporting: a style of journalism that makes unscrupulous use of scandalous, lurid, or sensationalized stories to attract readers."

In general, it would mean lazy and/or irresponsible journalism: as yoot explained, making up the news without having the facts. One can be lazy and untruthful without necessarily being sensationalist.

But when talking about papers the ilk of Thai Rath, I'd say "yellow journalism" fits. In the examples that jeabsun referred to, both the intention and outcome of the bad reporting are clearly sensationalist - or, as they say in English: "never let the facts get in the way of a good story..."

>> (From jeabsun's post): I would like to explain about "ยิงดับ". It means that the worker was shoot dead. However, the writer used ยิงดับ even though the worker was not dead. It is totally wrong. However, the writer intented to write it that way for exaggerating the story. Thairath often does this. I, and many other Thais, feel that Thairath is not a good source of information because they always exaggerate the headline or even the details inside. If you read Thairath more often, you will learn that the writer know about the story very well (too much details) just like that the writer was at the scene. However, we know that some bad writers just make it up based on just some information they got. They put their opinions or their guess about the story in their writing. There is a phrase in Thai to describe this action as "นั่งเทียนเขียนข่าว". <<

• 2 weeks later...

From this week's Matichon Weekend speaking of the strength of the People's Power Party ["Power to the People" ???] in the North:

"พรรคพลังประชาชนก็คงไม่ปล่อยให้โอกาสทองที่หล่นอยู่บนหน้าตัก หลุดลอยไปง่ายๆ"

This sentence seems to contain several English language phrases:

"โอกาสทอง" - a golden opportunity

"หล่นอยู่บนหน้าตัก" - to fall into the lap

"หลุดลอยไปง่ายๆ" - to let slip by easily

Thus the sentence might be translated as:

"The People's Power Party would allow this golden opportunity which has fallen into to its lap to easily slip out of its grasp." [Note the two anthromorphisms; please forgive my split infinitive.]

Any thoughts regarding whether these phrases have been lifted from English-language journalism, not, to quote Jerry Seinfeld, that there is anything wrong with that.

From this weeks newspaper comes a discussion on the new rules issued by the Election Commission for the upcoming parliamentary elections"

เพราะการออกประกาศและระเบียบของ กกต. ชุดที่มาจาก "ตุลาการภิวัฒน์" หลายฉบับ ไม่เคยเกิดขึ้นมาก่อนในวัฒนธรรมการเลือกตั้งในประเทศไทย

". . . this Election Commission's issuance of many of these these rules and regulations which arise from _____, is unprecedented in in Thailand's electoral [history] and culture."

My question is about the word "ตุลาการภิวัฒน์". The newspaper uses quotation marks which, in cases like this, tends to indicate a neologism. Here are some thoughts:

1. From Bangkok Business News comes this 2007 sentence

"ตุลาการภิวัฒน์ หมายถึง อำนาจตุลาการที่แผ่กว้างขึ้น และแนวคิดนี้เกิดขึ้นจากหลักสากลที่มองว่าสถาบันตุลาการ คือสถาบันเดียวที่มีความชอบธรรมภายใต้ระบอบประชาธิปไตย"

"dtòo laa gaan pí-wát means that the power of the judiciary is continuing its expansion; this way of thinking arises from international principles which views the judiciary as being the only instituion with legitimacy under a democratic system." (personal comment: this is a preposterous notion; but we are focusing only on language issues here.)

2. The term ตุลาการภิวัฒน์ appears to be a combination of two words, "อภิวัฒน์", "revolution", and "ตุลาการ" which means "a judge". Thai has a separate word, "อำนาจตุลาการ" which Domnern-Sathienpong defines as "judicial power." Literally, then, the subject term would mean "a judicial revolution" or more figuratively, "a novel judicial assertion of power."

3. In the quoted newspaper contexts I am wondering if the term "ตุลาการภิวัฒน์" refers to the power of "judicial review" developed by John Marshall under the U.S. constitution under which he declared that the Supreme Court has the power of review and potential rejection of any federal or state law deemed to be non-Constitutional.

Is the Election Commission in the Thai context referring to its activities as a part of the expanded judiciary function in Thailand? Any thoughts on langauge issues would be appreciated. Thanks.

There apparently is a Thai cognate to the Greek Myth of Sisyphus:

From Matichon on November 5, 2007:

สำหรับการสั่งให้ปลัดกระทรวงมหาดไทยและอธิบดีกรมการปกครองไปดูแลกำนัน ผู้ใหญ่บ้านไม่ให้เป็นหัวคะแนนนักการเมือง บางทีการเข็นครกขึ้นภูเขาอาจจะง่ายเสียกว่า

"Regarding the order that the Undersecretary of the Ministry of the Interior and the Director General of the Department of Provincial Administration would supervise the local tambol and village chiefs so that they would not serve as election campaigners for any politician, why, wouldn't it be easier to carry a mortar up a mountain?" "Mortar", as in "mortar and pestle".

Just wanted to note that I think this is a great idea; I couldn't begin to tell you how many hours I have spent trying to unravel and make sense of the headlines from the local Phuket newspaper Siang Tai. Only wish I had more time to join in the discussions...

Maybe it's just me. Is anyone else having difficulty understanding the way the Thai House of Representatives (Parliament) is being chosen and what the specific constitutional vocabulary means?

The following is from the latest edition of Matichon Weekly, page 10:

"เปิดฉากแล้ว สำหรับการรับสมัคร ส.ส.ระบบสัดส่วน ที่เปิดรับสมัครตั้งแต่ 7-11 พฤศจิกายน"

The curtain has been raised on the process of applying for candidacy to become a member of the House of Representatives; the process is to be conducted from November 7th through the 11th.

"ส.ส.ระบบสัดส่วน ตามรัฐธรรมนูญปี 2550 แตกต่างจาก ส.ส.ระบบบัญชีรายชื่อ ตามกฎหมายรัฐธรรมนูญปี 2540"

"Members elected on a 'party list' basis under the 2007 Constitution is different from the [process of electing] a list of candidates selected by a party provided in the 1997 Constitution."

"ส.ส.ระบบบัญชีรายชื่อ จะมีทั้งหมด 100 คน เพียงแค่บัญชีเดียวในแต่ละพรรค"

"[The 1997 Constitution] provided for one, [national] 100-member party list for each [political] party."

"ขณะที่ ส.ส.ระบบสัดส่วน จะมีการแบ่งพื้นที่ประเทศไทยออกเป็น 8 เขต โดยกำหนดให้แต่ละพรรคส่งผู้สมัครในแต่ละเขตได้พรรคละ 10 คน"

"While [under the new Constitution] the party lists are allocated into eight 'election areas' encompassing the country. Each party would register 10 candidates for each election area."

"นั่นคือความแตกต่าง...!"

"This, therefore, is the difference!"

Here are the provisions in the new Constitution which introduce the notions of "constituency based" representatives and "party list based" representatives. (The translations are from an unofficial draft issued by the US Embassy in Bangkok.)

มาตรา ๙๔ การเลือกตั้งสมาชิกสภาผู้แทนราษฎรแบบแบ่งเขตเลือกตั้ง ให้ผู้มีสิทธิเลือกตั้ง ในเขตเลือกตั้งใดมีสิทธิออกเสียงลงคะแนนเลือกตั้งผู้สมัครรับเลือกตั้งได้เท่าจำนวนสมาชิกสภาผู้แทนราษฎรที่มีได้ในเขตเลือกตั้งนั้น

Section 94. In the election of members of the House of Representatives on a constituency basis, the person having the right to vote shall cast ballot for candidates that can be elected of each constituency.

มาตรา ๙๕ การเลือกตั้งสมาชิกสภาผู้แทนราษฎรแบบสัดส่วน ให้มีการเลือกตั้งสมาชิกสภาผู้แทนราษฎรตามบัญชีรายชื่อที่พรรคการเมืองจัดทำขึ้น โดยให้ผู้มีสิทธิเลือกตั้งในเขตเลือกตั้งใดมีสิทธิออกเสียงลงคะแนนเลือกพรรคการเมืองที่จัดทำบัญชีรายชื่อผู้สมัครรับเลือกตั้งในเขตเลือกตั้งนั้นได้หนึ่งเสียง

Section 95. In an election of members of the House of Representatives on a party-list basis, a voter shall have the right to cast ballot from the lists of candidates prepared by political parties; provided that only one ballot for one party-list may be voted for each constituency.

On confusing issue is the English translation of the word "สภาผู้แทนราษฎร" which both the official English version of the 2540 Constitution and the unofficial translaiton of the 2550 Constitution call "House of Representatives". This is an American term of art under the U.S. Constitution. I thought that the Thai system was a parliamentary system and therefore the assembly should be called "Parliament" and the members, "สมาชิกสภาผู้แทนราษฎร", would be called "Members of Parliament." What am I missing?

From the Constitution:

มาตรา ๙๕ การเลือกตั้งสมาชิกสภาผู้แทนราษฎรแบบสัดส่วน ให้มีการเลือกตั้งสมาชิกสภาผู้แทนราษฎรตามบัญชีรายชื่อที่พรรคการเมืองจัดทำขึ้น โดยให้ผู้มีสิทธิเลือกตั้งในเขตเลือกตั้งใดมีสิทธิออกเสียงลงคะแนนเลือกพรรคการเมืองที่จัดทำบัญชีรายชื่อผู้สมัครรับเลือกตั้งในเขตเลือกตั้งนั้นได้หนึ่งเสียง

"Section 95. In an election of members of the House of Representatives on a party-list basis, a voter shall have the right to cast ballot from the lists of candidates prepared by political parties; provided that only one ballot for one party-list may be voted for each constituency."

Question: The word "สัดส่วน" means "proportionality." Why is it that the translation uses the term "party list"? The answer, I believe, can be found in the Wikipedia entry for "proportional representation".

"Proportional representation (sometimes referred to as full representation, or PR), is a category of electoral formula aiming at a close match between the percentage of votes that groups of candidates (grouped by a certain measure) obtain in elections and the percentage of seats they receive (usually in legislative assemblies). It is often contrasted to plurality voting systems, where disproportional seat distribution results from the division of voters into multiple electoral districts, especially "winner takes all" plurality (FPTP) districts.

Various forms of proportional representation exist, such as party-list proportional representation, where the above-mentioned groups correspond directly with candidate lists as usually given by political parties. Within this form a further distinction can be made depending on whether or not a voter can influence the election of candidates within a party list (open list and closed list respectively). . . . ."

Thus, it appears, that the "party list" method is a subset of "proportional representation"? Does this appear to be correct? I would appreciate assistance in understanding these items, especially from those Europeans whose whom countries use some adaptation of proportional representation. Thanks.

Archived