Trump to visit families of victims of Texas school shooting

webfact

Trump to visit families of victims of Texas school shooting

2018-05-30T212031Z_1_LYNXNPEE4T1ZL_RTROPTP_4_TEXAS-SHOOTING.JPG

The memorial for victims of the Santa Fe High School shooting lays outside the school as students return on the first day of class since the mass shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, U.S., May 29, 2018. REUTERS/Pu Ying Huang

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump will meet with the families of victims of the Santa Fe High School shooting on a visit to Texas on Thursday, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Wednesday.

Eight students and two teachers were killed at the Santa Fe High School near Houston when a teenage student opened fire in a classroom on May 18.

The president had been previously scheduled to attend campaign fundraisers in Houston and Dallas on Thursday. Sanders said that while in Houston, Trump will meet with victims' families "to personally offer his condolences and support."

After the shootings, Trump said his administration "is determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools and do everything we can to keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves and to others."

The White House reactivated a school-safety commission that was formed after the high school shooting in Parkland, Florida, in February that left 17 dead. Sanders said that the commission is meeting again this week to determine "the best ways forward and how we can do every single thing within our power to protect kids in our schools and to make them feel safe and make their parents feel good about dropping them off."

In March, the administration released a safety plan that, among other things, pledged to provide funds for firearms training for some school personnel.

Trump supports a bill in Congress that would strengthen the federal system that checks the background of gun buyers, but the legislation remains stalled in the Senate.

(Reporting by Steve Holland; writing by David Alexander and James Oliphant; editing by Eric Walsh and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-31

39 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He’ll make this about himself.

I'm sure you're right. He'll probably take the opportunity to brag (lie) about some imaginary achievement, just like when he hijacked Memorial Day?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Becker said:

I'm sure you're right. He'll probably take the opportunity to brag (lie) about some imaginary achievement, just like when he hijacked Memorial Day?

He will say how he would have been a hero if he was there.  He’s just an insensitive simple minded coward

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 8:25 AM, Emster23 said:

I wonder how many families will show up? I know if happened in my family, I wouldn't meet with Trump. Adding insult to injury

If he showed up at my house I would set the dog on him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

If he showed up at my house I would set the dog on him.

That’s a rather cruel thing to do to your dog. 

Your dog might catch some rabid disease or worse trumpomania if it bit him. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

There is no known cure for Trumpomania in dogs.

Just lock up the smartfones and disable Twitter.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The symptoms may be hard to identify in a dog though.  Shedding hair, chasing pussies, rolling in excrement, nonsensical barking, and starting a fight with the neighbour's dog to distract you from its having peed on the rug.

• Haha 2

There is some stuff on the internet, about how one mother experienced the dunce of a president!

He called the shooter "wacky" on many occasions and talked about the trench coat and repeatedly brought up the idea of armed personal at schools, which this particular mom was not really in favor of!

It obviously was a bigly success! 

:coffee1: