Need Advice On Hi-speed Internet

Amonik

I hope someone could give me an advice on which service is the best option in our case. We live in Soi Siam Country Club, about 3,4 km from Sukhumvit Rd. Last december, we applied for the Maxnet promotion of TT&T (Hi Speed Internet, speed: 512/1024, about 1000 Baht per month). The service is OK just sometimes, during the morning and afternoon but after 7 pm is not working most of the time and on weekends is a lottery.... They already checked the line and it's fine, they said that we are far form the central (more than 3 km)....

My question is: whick service (that works) is available in Siam Country club area ?

Wireless ? hutch ? others

some experiences with them ?

Any information would be of great help.

Thanks

Is it just lately that your service has slowed down as I think most people have experienced a slow down the last couple of weeks or so due to those damaged cables off of Taiwan. My Maxnet connection slows down considerably early evening but picks up again from 9pm onwards.

I know TT&T have big problems with capacity in Pattaya at the moment - they have actually told me they are not taking anymore customers onto ADSL service until they can add capacity (or is that just a fob off?) - my house is out near Maprachan and I wanted my second phone line configured for ADSL (first already is) but they said cannot. However they would allow me to upgrade the service on the first line to a more expensive service which allowed up to 5 users !!!! I could not get my head round that one, but changed it anyway and the upgraded service (I think about 2600baht a month) is way way better than the cheaper service.

A friend of mine, still cannot get any ADSL onto his TT&T line as he was told the same reason - no capacity - yet his phone line is on the digital??? exchange which should allow it. This seems to have been going on for months now. Maybe its just the capacity outside the city?

Have you looked at the settings of your adsl modem/router. Assuming its a TT&T one, I often check the status by typing: http://192.168.1.1 and then username is admin and password ttt - you can then see how your modem is performing and what speed is coming in. Once mine showed speed of 36kbps - a call to the help desk changed that - the technician they send round has not got a clue - he just checks the line is working. Also dont believe that stuff about distance. I am about 10km from the echange on Crocodile Farm and it works fine.

However saying all that, I do believe now the technician who told me that 256 speed works FAR better than 512 and forget 1024 - its slower than the other two for some reason and the premium service at 2500 is way way better than the regular service as your not sharing the connection with as many people.

Finally I dont know of any other service providers but then as I am normally only in Pattaya at weekends - cant say I have much time to go and find another one.

Don't wait for any refund!

Everytime there is no service, send a mail to [email protected] (there official e-mail address as given to me in Pattaya TT office!!) and mention time and date. Print that mail out.

When you pay your bill, giv the cashier the copies of the mails collected during the month, telling her also that there was no reply whatsoever (bet your a55, there will be no reply...).

Pay the amount due minus whatever you deduct pro rata.

For problems, I can PM you the direct line of the Vice Prsident ADSL at TOT and some other possibly helpful numbers of that lot.

Yes, i amin clinch with them and mean it, and on a mission. :o

• 2 weeks later...

My TOT is afraid of sun light.

When there is sun it will not work from 10am till 17pm. No phone and no ADSL.

For the last few days as the wheather is not that hot it works just fine.

The whole village experiencing this for 6 months at least.

• 11 months later...

I have been living in Thailand for a few years now. I had the same problems as most users shearing Internet lines with others.

If you like to use your computer whenever you like without trying to get a connection for hours because other users are logged on.

Try a High-speed, 2-way broadband Internet via the IPSTAR Satellite is for everyone and everywhere throughout Asia-Pacific ... High-speed, 2-way broadband Internet via the IPSTAR. NO PHONE LINE NEEDED

Who needs a land line?

Taz... :o

I have been living in Thailand for a few years now. I had the same problems as most users shearing Internet lines with others.

If you like to use your computer whenever you like without trying to get a connection for hours because other users are logged on.

Try a High-speed, 2-way broadband Internet via the IPSTAR Satellite is for everyone and everywhere throughout Asia-Pacific ... High-speed, 2-way broadband Internet via the IPSTAR. NO PHONE LINE NEEDED

Who needs a land line?

Taz... :o

Here is the link.... http://www.ipstar.com/en/whereto_thailand.htm

I hope someone could give me an advice on which service is the best option in our case. We live in Soi Siam Country Club, about 3,4 km from Sukhumvit Rd. Last december, we applied for the Maxnet promotion of TT&T (Hi Speed Internet, speed: 512/1024, about 1000 Baht per month). The service is OK just sometimes, during the morning and afternoon but after 7 pm is not working most of the time and on weekends is a lottery.... They already checked the line and it's fine, they said that we are far form the central (more than 3 km)....

My question is: whick service (that works) is available in Siam Country club area ?

Wireless ? hutch ? others

some experiences with them ?

Any information would be of great help.

Thanks

i think when you say TT & T you mean Maxnet? if so the Maxnet Indy service is massively oversubscribed nationally, hence slow speeds at busy times, you can upgrade to Premier service from Indy, its 99 baht a month extra but your are one of ten subscribers on an entirely different server instead of one of twenty on an oversubscribed server. i did just that after having all the problems you are referring to and now i rarely have a problem and speeds are consistant. check my previous posts, i have discussed it at greater length before. i hope that helps

Ipstar is a far from reliable service. There are several threads on the lack of reliability from IPstar, or PM Mobi for a very colourful description of his experiences.
You don't know what your talking about mate. Have you used IPstar yourself? No i don't think so, because if you did you would not say they are crap. What reliability are you looking for? When you log on you stay loged on, What more do you wont?

Taz.

Ipstar is a far from reliable service. There are several threads on the lack of reliability from IPstar, or PM Mobi for a very colourful description of his experiences.
You don't know what your talking about mate. Have you used IPstar yourself? No i don't think so, because if you did you would not say they are crap. What reliability are you looking for? When you log on you stay loged on, What more do you wont?

Taz.

Not sure how long you have it!

I have it myself at one of my projects, and it's crap. It's OK relatively speaking right now, but in the 3 years of usage they managed about 40% uptime.

Their gateway has been freezing often, only to get it going again after a lengthy call to their service centers.

As said, it's currently pretty good, but it has been pretty good before, only to start acting up a bit later on!

Oh, and that's both iPSTAR from TOT and from CSloxinfo. CSloxinfo is pretty good at the moment, TOT is not. 3 months ago it was the other way around.

Taz.

It is obvious my experiences with IPstar are somewhat different to yours. I have experienced drop outs due to weather (satellite based systems are not comfortable with medium to heavy cloud cover), I have waited while the system tried to reconnect over a period of half an hour from other unknown causes. According to some of the folk who still have the service, it has been behaving better for the last couple of months compared with the less than stella service delivery previously.

Slower connection speeds are not always the fault of the ISP, but complete loss of signal and sync indicate a less than desirable level of service. Let me know what you think when you have been connected for more than a couple of months.

Taz.

It is obvious my experiences with IPstar are somewhat different to yours. I have experienced drop outs due to weather (satellite based systems are not comfortable with medium to heavy cloud cover), I have waited while the system tried to reconnect over a period of half an hour from other unknown causes. According to some of the folk who still have the service, it has been behaving better for the last couple of months compared with the less than stella service delivery previously.

Slower connection speeds are not always the fault of the ISP, but complete loss of signal and sync indicate a less than desirable level of service. Let me know what you think when you have been connected for more than a couple of months.

storm clouds is no reason not to have them. Ipstar's installers will tell you this when they install your dish.

If you have UBC you will lose the signal in a storm, but compared to line users that very rarely happens. Have had IPstar now for about a year and I am delighted with their service.

Before that I tried TT&T, crap & Cat, crap. So I can use the Internet when I want to without waiting until midnight for a connection. What's wrong with that?

Taz.

Webpics_118.bmp

Edited by Taz