Eight die in motorway crash

snoop1130

Perhaps the powers that be should pull out of the Deep South and concentrate on traffic control and education. There are more people killed on Thailand's roads than in the conflicts in the South. So sad for the victims in both. RIP.

• Thanks 1

Another day on The Thai Roads of Death

Given the national average of 'road fatalities per day', there should be at least another 53 souls slaughtered on Thai roads on that particular day.  RIP to all of the victims of the avoidable carnage.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Yaba ?  Break Failure ?  Hong Thong ?  Facebook updating ?  Speeding like when on Playstation IV ?...whatever...

RIP to the victims, yet another sad story.

What exactly is 'break failure' so often appearing on these pages.  Cable broken, brake hose split'???

Just now, Get Real said:

Yeah, I would presume hurt would be more on point. Last I know was that the driver was taken to the hospital.

You fit right in with many TVF posters.

No worry for you mate.

Just a bit sick IMHO.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I am sorry for the  dead peoples' families, but am curious as to why the scene is in  broad daylight at 7pm on Friday June 1st.  Isn't it nearly dark at that time down in Chonburi area?

I've read that twilight is the worst for road accidents because of the poor visibility. Why so many deaths and injuries. Was the pickup, which appeared to have a shell over the bed, carrying several people I wonder. It appears the answer to my wonder is HERE. Very sad. RIP to the victims and quick recovery for the injured.

Edited by MaxYakov

19 minutes ago, masuk said:

What exactly is 'break failure' so often appearing on these pages.  Cable broken, brake hose split'???

Presumably "break failure" is the failure to stop and take a break?

2 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I've heard it said that twilight is the worst for road accidents because of the poor visibility.

Especially in a nation of beige/grey cars on beige/grey roads with heavily tinted windows that don't turn their lights on

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cadbury said:

So we can take it that the traffic jam was the worst part of the incident. Not the loss of human life or anything like that. What hope is there if this is the attitude toward fatal road accidents?

Don't worry. it's just more of the usual abysmal Thai reporting and not having a clue about what the main story is.

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The fact is that these sort of collisions happen with the same frequency in Countries like the USA and UK, but the death toll is much lower.......so what's the explanation?

Is it possibly related to different specification requirements?

Some countries have higher safety standard requirements than others.

13 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

RIP to the victims and my sincere condolences to the families of the victims.

I've seen a strange accident on my way to work this morning. A pick up truck hit a motorbike that had to wait for green light. Four cars smashed into each other because nobody ( as usual) paid attention.

And to top that another female scooter driver smashed into the last vehicle with high speed.

I had no time to stop, was already late for work and hope that they are all okay.  

The crashing bones were not the sound I'd appreciate to wake me up. Time for some driver training. 

Driver training would not benefit most Thais as a lot of commonsense is involved, after their training

is finished, they would just go out on the road and drive with their usual commonsense which is about nil.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kannot said:

Around here ( countryside) i often watch the locals on their bikes and looking "ahead" is  only about 35% of where their heads usually are, the rest of the time its either left or right, incredible to see "how  long" they arent  looking ahead.

Then theres  the "surprised"  look as  I go round a corner with them over on my side and the motorbike thinks "no one else" is on  the road, daily occurrences .

I like the startled  look and ensuing panicked swerve.

You have not mentioned anyone riding on the wrong side of the road, or any obvious underage riders. I find that strange especially in the countryside.

I cannot go on to the nearest main road where I stay without seeing that.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

RIP

The last picture of the deceased.

They were sitting on the green waiting for repair.

(picture from Thairath)

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPEajYCZE3UaOCvVP4hWCqGUFu

Rip...  Wow, this picture certainly emphasizes the loss, in what was maybe the last few minutes for these fellas.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

You fit right in with many TVF posters.

No worry for you mate.

Just a bit sick IMHO.

Yeah, I know it might be a little bit to much for some readers. However, there is a clear problem here.
When should we stop feel sad and sorry for all the, so called, accidents that happens?

People do not seem to want to learn. People do not seem to value life. People do not seem to have the possibility to abide laws and rules.
Most of all people in traffic and everyday life, just seem to care about themself and how to reach their goal/destination disregarding who they hurt/kill or what laws they break on their way.

Just maybe you have the answer for me. Why should I continue to have any kind of sympathy for these people? When is it enough? What is possible to do for people to care and watch out for their fellow human beeing in this country?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I do care from time to time and wouldn't want a don't care society around me. 

If you really care from time to time you would have stopped and went to check if you could help with the accident you witnessed.

"I had no time to stop, was already late for work and hope that they are all okay."

But yeah, it wasn't family, so who cares. Showing up at work is more important than helping out other people who got hurt

You are helping creating a "don't care society"

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I am sorry for the  dead peoples' families, but am curious as to why the scene is in  broad daylight at 7pm on Friday June 1st.  Isn't it nearly dark at that time down in Chonburi area?

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Although I can't find an exact description it's obviously a wrong time.

Some sources say 18:00h, other 18:30h.

The images in the reports show that it gets dark during the rescue/clean up.

So 18:00h could be correct.

Could be "any" hour - reporters seem to write what they think maybe the case rather than what IS the case. :whistling:

As Tom Jones would have sung "It's not unusual..."

RIP to those killed and wishing the injured a full and speedy recovery (except for the 'clown' who caused the crash but then again, it may not have been a driver fault, could have been brake failure).

Wow, when they have an accident here they have some good ones. Last night in Ubon the ambulances were really in action. How can you stop Thais killing themselves on the highways? It's like someone getting a real hiding in a fight and getting Knocked down and instead of just laying there to stop getting beaten up any more they get up and say  " I reckon that was a lucky punch can we try again" That is the stupidity that is going on Thai roads. Oh well, one thing the government can smile about Thailand will probably be number 1 with the most number of road deaths in the world again The gold medal is in the bag. 

1 hour ago, masuk said:

All of those in exactly that order except for "break".      ?

Edited by watcharacters

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

The fact is that these sort of collisions happen with the same frequency in Countries like the USA and UK, but the death toll is much lower.......so what's the explanation?

Apparently, there were a lot of individuals on the shoulder assisting with the broken-down lorry got rear-ended as well as another vehicle that was disabled.

It is well-known in my country to stay well away from any vehicle disabled on the shoulder, especially a bridge (unless involved in actually changing a tire or other repair) because it is assumed that eventually the vehicle will probably be rear-ended. One time I had a flat on a busy freeway and I pulled the vehicle far away from the shoulder under a tree to change the tire.

Also, in the FWIW category, a commenter on this accident said the the driver of the rear-ending lorry had stated that his sandal come off under the brake pedal and while he was dealing with that, he inadvertently changed lanes (to the shoulder) and then was unable to brake because of the sandal. Let's call this a "brake system failure", shall we?

Another commenter stated that parking on the shoulder is illegal in Thailand (even for unavoidable repairs?). Actually, parking unnecessarily on the shoulder to, for example, sleep probably is illegal in Thailand and in most countries. I know that as a motorist in my country, I avoided if I possibly could and would have stood well-away from the vehicle unless actually working on it.

I also carried flares or (more commonly) a reflective diversion sign kit that are placed behind the vehicle to warn vehicles of a disabled vehicle in a driving lane or on the shoulder. Thankfully, I never had to deploy them I wonder how common these reflective sign kits are in Thailand as standard equipment in vehicles.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

RIP. Its up to the people to decide whether they want to continue the road carnage or not. Until people take ownership and responsibility for their personal safety and the safety of their community , then these accidents will continue. Speed, apathy towards obeying road rules, lack of driving skills, poor vehicle maintenance and zero care factor for other people all contribute to these tragedies. 

Its up to the people to decide whether they want to continue the road carnage or not. Until people take ownership and responsibility for their personal safety and the safety of their community , then these accidents will continue.

Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.

• Like 1