Leaving Thailand on US or Thai PP.

My wife is in country on her US PP. We are going to Laos on Aug 7 for me an O Visa. My wife is leaving Thailand with me on her US PP. That gets her out of the country and clears her US PP of Thailand.  She is going to enter Laos on her Thai PP and then reenter Thailand on her Thai PP. Oct 29 we are flying back to the US for a few month. In Oct. she going up to the ticket counter to check her bag and shows them her US PP to get her boarding pass to the US. Now, what PP does she use next, once she leaves the ticket counter? Does she show the IO her Thai or US PP next? This is the first time and trying to figure out the exact sequence once she gets her boarding pass and checks her bags.  What happens next, does she show the IO her Thai PP with boarding pass or US PP.  Never paid attention how it worked before. We always traveled on US PP, but not retired here. She need the easy way for a Thai with duel PP to enter and leave. Can someone give the exact sequence of events after check in for boarding pass with US PP?

On 6/2/2018 at 10:49 PM, allen303 said:

Now, what PP does she use next, once she leaves the ticket counter? Does she show the IO her Thai or US PP next?

If, as you previously stated, she re-entered Thailand after her trip to Laos with her Thai passport, then this is the passport that she needs to present to the IO at BKK Departures on 29 October.

However, after passing through Immigration, you will almost certainly both be required to show passport ID again at your flight boarding gate. In her case it would be her US passport which she should then provide.

Edited by OJAS

My wife is in country on her US PP. We are going to Laos on Aug 7 for me an O Visa. My wife is leaving Thailand with me on her US PP. That gets her out of the country and clears her US PP of Thailand.  She is going to enter Laos on her Thai PP and then reenter Thailand on her Thai PP. Oct 29 we are flying back to the US for a few month.

It that going to be done by air or land?

By air it may not be a problem. 

By land it will not be possible. They check for departure stamps from Thailand on entry to Laos and insist the same passport be used the departure was done with. Same for re-entry to Thailand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allen303 said:

It will be by air.

It will depend upon the Lao immigration officer on entry. Sometimes they look for the departure stamp in the passport. But since she is Thai they should be more flexible.

Are you applying for a single or multiple entry non-o visa?

.... . In Oct. she going up to the ticket counter to check her bag and shows them her US PP to get her boarding pass to the US.

Correct; she will need show US passport when she checks in, if she is flying to the US, if she shows Thai passport they will look for visa

at immigration

Its quite simple, arrive in Thailand on thai passport, leave on thai passport, when traveling by land MUST show same passport as u exited Thailand with.

When traveling by air can switch passports..

She is going to enter Laos on her Thai PP and then reenter Thailand on her Thai PP. Oct 29 we are flying back to the US for a few month. In Oct. she going up to the ticket counter to check her bag and shows them her US PP to get her boarding pass to the US. Now, what PP does she use next, once she leaves the ticket counter? Does she show the IO her Thai or US PP next?

If she enters Thailand on her Thai passport, then she MUST depart with it.

At the airline check in desk, show her US passport, to prove that she can enter the US, if asked by the check in staff, then she can show her Thai passport as well.

After checking in, if she has to go to an immigration officer, then provide the boarding pass and her Thai passport only, no need to show her US passport at all, Thai immigration are not, or at least should not, interested in looking for a US visa in her Thai passport.

This might be all mute after checking in, as she should be able to depart via the e-gates using her Thai passport.

Reverse process returning, i.e. depart US on her US passport, showing the check in staff the Thai passport to prove no visa is required, enter Thailand on her Thai passport.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It will depend upon the Lao immigration officer on entry. Sometimes they look for the departure stamp in the passport. But since she is Thai they should be more flexible.

Are you applying for a single or multiple entry non-o visa?

Single, that three months covers me past Oct. 29th when I go back to US. Went to do the extension for marriage at Nonthaburi

, had all the paper work, 1 statement from Thai friend, Sister-in-law and another witness with me. IO lady says all good but need a statement from your neighbor. I told her I don't know my neighbor never met them but you say I have to get a statement and copy of their ID. Never mind just give me the two months and then I will go to Laos. Come February I will enter on a OA, learned my lesion. Remember this was after IO would not give extension for retirement because my O Visa had married to a Thai wrote on it from DC Embassy.

Another interesting question came up while I was doing the 2 months. One IO asked the IO (nice lady) doing my 2 months, (how can he get a extension based on marriage when his wife is here as a US citizen not a Thai wife)? Talk about Fido's Ass! Don't know where they went with that. Got my 2 months, popped smoke and broke contact.

17 minutes ago, allen303 said:

Single, that three months covers me past Oct. 29th when I go back to US. Went to do the extension for marriage at Nonthaburi

, had all the paper work, 1 statement from Thai friend, Sister-in-law and another witness with me. IO lady says all good but need a statement from your neighbor. I told her I don't know my neighbor never met them but you say I have to get a statement and copy of their ID. Never mind just give me the two months and then I will go to Laos. Come February I will enter on a OA, learned my lesion. Remember this was after IO would not give extension for retirement because my O Visa had married to a Thai wrote on it from DC Embassy.

Another interesting question came up while I was doing the 2 months. One IO asked the IO (nice lady) doing my 2 months, (how can he get a extension based on marriage when his wife is here as a US citizen not a Thai wife)? Talk about Fido's Ass! Don't know where they went with that. Got my 2 months, popped smoke and broke contact.

After talking to wife she will run over to the IO office and get TM8, hate to give them another 1000. That’s the easy way. When she gets back she will be under her 90 days so no problem till Aug.29. She has a year stay but still has to do 90 day report.