Is your Thai companion averse to questions?

Brunolem

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe once in a while you should ask your wife "Are you happy,everything OK"

I do ask my wife quite often,and we have been together for 30 years,marriage 

you have to work a it.

regards worgeordie

Oh for God's sake, why would one stir up a hornet's nest ?  In mid-October this year, I'll remind my wife that our 40th anniversary was Oct. 7th.  She'll say "Oh? ... yeah."  I usually wait a few days to see if she's paying attention. That's my baby.

23 hours ago, Brunolem said:

There might be a misunderstanding here.

What I meant to say was, for example: I tell my wife to ask a neighbor if he can give me a hand to move something.

That, at least to me, is a yes or no kind of question.

Yet, once my wife starts talking with the neighbor, it is going to last for ten minutes!

Sometime, I will interrupt and say "so is it yes or no?" and she will say "wait" and go on talking with the neighbor.

When it's about asking for directions, the talking is so long that I have time to take a nap in the car...

Lol. This. For me it’s the question I’d like to ask someone that doesn’t speak English, so I ask tgf to ask them a question, tgf and Thai person chat away for quite some time. They finish and I’m waiting for an answer and I get nothing. I ask tgf what’s the answer and she looks at me blankly as though I’m mad. I used to get annoyed, now I just laugh it off. I would love to know what they had been talking about for the last few minutes - because if I hadn’t asked her to ask the question, they wouldn’t have been talking in the first place. 

As as for the original op, I often get an answers she thinks I want to hear. It’s taken many years of me saying “that’s not what I asked you”, for her to now answer the quesrion directly.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

She doesn't want to answer.

Questions really make her very uncomfortable.

Here is another example: I am on the phone with some local administration or company and can't get someone who speaks English, so I ask my wife to speak for me and ask the question(s) I wanted to ask.

You should see her face...

I have had no experience with such a situation. I have lived and worked all over the world and have always asked locals, even strangers, to translate for me if I cannot do it myself--and that includes here in Thailand. Some did a better job than others, but none refused.

Have you asked her why she is so averse to questions?

4 hours ago, AntDee said:

It seems to me there are at least a couple dimensions at play. 

We all know that how our wives react at any given moment is highly dependant on the overall relationship. Does my wife respect me? Did we have a fight last night? Ect. 

Also, are Thais, in general, averse to asking questions? Yes, probably. My observations are that they are. Not sure why, but seems they are fairly imprecise communicators even amongst themselves. And, the language also does not lend itself to precision. And, there may be a FACE element at play. 

The OP likes this answer .  Part 2 is what he would like to believe.   

He has not yet answered [art 1 :   Does your wife respect you ?

I am not sure what WE all know.  I do not think everyone knows that if your partner does not respect you

then there is no love.  And in MY opinion no reason at all for me to stay around.  From what I see and hear

many farangs do not share this view..... They make excuses, or whatever !  

That surely is a case for me to say :  UP TO YOU 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have had no experience with such a situation. I have lived and worked all over the world and have always asked locals, even strangers, to translate for me if I cannot do it myself--and that includes here in Thailand. Some did a better job than others, but none refused.

Have you asked her why she is so averse to questions?

i think a marriage consulor is needed for that to be answered

45 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Look I have read what you are writing. Everybody here has the same problems. Maybe you should change your approach to things Use a bit of humor. Ok eg  My wife is on the Mobile I ask her something. No answer  So I say "Earth to the spaceship. Are you reading me? Come in space-ship. Then she looks up and starts laughing. Then it is ok you get her attention and she starts talking LOL Thais love humor. But if they see you are getting frustrated like when you were on the phone they tend to clam up and say nothing. Then it becomes a no win situation

"Everybody here has the same problems" seems a misstatement.  At least, according to what some other posters have said and it is certainly not true according to what I have seen. I have a Thai daughter-in-law and Thai friends; none of whom are adverse to answering questions. Most posters seem to attribute lack of English skills as the culprit, but the OP says that is not the case with his wife. 

58 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Look I have read what you are writing. Everybody here has the same problems. Maybe you should change your approach to things Use a bit of humor. Ok eg  My wife is on the Mobile I ask her something. No answer  So I say "Earth to the spaceship. Are you reading me? Come in space-ship. Then she looks up and starts laughing. Then it is ok you get her attention and she starts talking LOL Thais love humor. But if they see you are getting frustrated like when you were on the phone they tend to clam up and say nothing. Then it becomes a no win situation

I assure you that  I FOR ONE  do not have this problem.   No, I am not the greatest or the luckiest man alive.

Just did 2 things.   Was determined to learn Thai and spoke it a lot .   And then I eventually found someone

who acted like they wanted to be with me.     No phones, no ignoring, no disrespect....well, the list is even longer but I am sure what i have said already is enough ammunition for some nasty responses..lol

23 hours ago, Brunolem said:

That may be so.

Yet, I have to be sure because a separation with the wife would also probably mean a separation with the country, both being intimately linked.

Having reached the sixties, I am not sure if I am ready for a new start...we'll see...

That was the same situation that faced me. However, being alone in my own country eventually seemed a better option than being always miserable here with someone that clearly didn't love me.

Had she just not communicated with me, that would have been fine, but when it became about me having to give money to the evil sister in law, that was the final straw. The ironic thing is that had she actually been a loving, as opposed to indifferent, wife with a sister that actually cared about me as a person and not as an ATM, I'd probably have willingly helped them out.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2018 at 12:48 PM, Bill Miller said:

I was recently trying to explain that US medical costs are roughly 10 X for the same procedure in even the high end Bangkok hospitals.

dental procedures are a whole different ballgame.  office price for root canal treatment 10,000 baht very normal. about 50% cost of usa price but if you add trip you lose any savings

• Like 1

That seems the case ...  you have to accept that lots here cant take anything like a light hearted post at face value as well.

i think that lots here did not read the original post as "light hearted".  

OP SAYS

Yet, if she doesn't like the question, for whatever unknown reason, the answer is more brutal.

Q: are you going to visit your friend later today?

A: why do you ask? this is not your business!              OK, maybe i think too mutt but in my world that is not a light hearted  exchange.    I think i would pack a few things and calmly walk out the door.   If she asked me where i was going i would just say......to buy some cigarrets.   (no i do not smoke, but in thai culture it would be very impolite of her to point that out)       my loss of face and all.....      

21 minutes ago, atyclb said:

even the average farangs high school education in of itself allows inquiry, curiosity , debate, comparison, lateral-critical thinking .......

and.........arrogance, confrontational behaviour,  defensiveness,  argumentative,  delusions of superiority, expectations of entitlement      

Brunolem:    well, now you say you've been together 20 years !  and your thai must be ok if you understand "kee nok"   lol     

Time takes its toll on all of us.............hope you can find a spark again and enjoy your golden years

3 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

I think some Thai women are frightened of situations, where they may lose face in a non-Thai speaking crowd.

I experienced a situation a few months ago that was interesting.  I met a farang and his Thai girlfriend a the local market, my wife knew the man's girlfriend, I had never met the farang before.   He was from Canada, so we struck up an enjoyable casual conversation about current events going on back home, and different places we had experienced here .  Simple.  My wife enjoyed the conversation, and was actively participating.  The Thai girlfriend (who could speak some english), petered off somewhere while we chatted...   

Found out later, from my wife (and later by the farang), that the Thai girlfriend thought we were talking (gossiping) about her, and  dumped the farang to save face, thinking he now knew her colorful history.  

That's your lady's story.  Would like to hear the other lady's version of events.

Edited by mugaly

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

asking , and even one or two who out

I also think that Thai culture is not 'inquiry driven' 

While Im reticent to bring religion into the picture , I think that if Buddhism brought anything to the Thai it was the idealised  picture of  the monk in 'contemplative silence'. 

I appreciate your post and just want to add something about the two issues selected above.

To say that Thai culture in not inquiry driven is an understatement!

I would even say that this is true for most of East Asia.

The lack of major scientific discoveries, not to mention Nobel prizes and the likes, is there to testify of that.

As far as Buddhism is concerned, I mean the real thing, not the local shamanism, it is in fact a mix of silence (meditation) interrupted by short periods of Q & A.

Buddhist literature is in fact full of these games of questions and answers, the laypersons asking the questions to the Buddha himself, or to his monks.

And these questions are not trivial, not to mention the answers!

I can hardly imagine the average Thais, both laypersons and monks, engaging in such high level games...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rumak said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

even the average farangs high school education in of itself allows inquiry, curiosity , debate, comparison, lateral-critical thinking .......

and.........arrogance, confrontational behaviour,  defensiveness,  argumentative,  delusions of superiority, expectations of entitlement 

seems you fit in the "benefit from turning brain off" category

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rumak said:

The OP likes this answer .  Part 2 is what he would like to believe.   

He has not yet answered [art 1 :   Does your wife respect you ?

I am not sure what WE all know.  I do not think everyone knows that if your partner does not respect you

then there is no love.  And in MY opinion no reason at all for me to stay around.  From what I see and hear

many farangs do not share this view..... They make excuses, or whatever !  

That surely is a case for me to say :  UP TO YOU 

The "respect" you get from your wife is very closely related to your financial situation and how she benefits from it!

Having a farang husband is generally seen as a trophy and the wife needs to have something to show for it.

If you say to your wife "darling, why don't we go see this new car that you like so much", you can prepare yourself for some serious acrobatics in the bed!

Now, if you say to her "sorry, I just lost my job and we are going to have to cut on spending for the time being"...well you are going to discover how deeply she really cares about you...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

OK, maybe i think too mutt but in my world that is not a light hearted  exchange.    I think i would pack a few things and calmly walk out the door.   If she asked me where i was going i would just say......to buy some cigarrets.   (no i do not smoke, but in thai culture it would be very impolite of her to point that out)       my loss of face and all.....      

Packing your suitcase for a dismissive answer from your wife may be a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

Some would call that being thin-skinned, as opposed to my resistant Buddhist skin.

Seriously, all marriages have their highs and lows...for better and for worse is what you get into!

21 hours ago, Brunolem said:

No bait here,  just a regular comment.

Thailand may be number one for education spending, but then it doesn't get a good return on its money.

Thailand constantly ranks last or close to last in inter Asean student competitions, especially in English where it somehow manages to finish behind powerhouses such as Burma or Laos!

On top of that, students IQ below 100 in universities, and below 90 in high schools are the worrying measured average...needless to say that these numbers are quickly pushed under the rug until next time...

Well there's your answer then. Your wife is thick because of the Thai education system.

I'm guessing that you have hinted at this to her, leading to her ignoring your questions.

If you are so interlectually superior, then you would speak enough Thai to ask directions, or ask the

local monk what his plans are without using your wife as an interpreter.

7 minutes ago, shy coconut said:
22 hours ago, Brunolem said:

No bait here,  just a regular comment.

Thailand may be number one for education spending, but then it doesn't get a good return on its money.

Thailand constantly ranks last or close to last in inter Asean student competitions, especially in English where it somehow manages to finish behind powerhouses such as Burma or Laos!

On top of that, students IQ below 100 in universities, and below 90 in high schools are the worrying measured average...needless to say that these numbers are quickly pushed under the rug until next time...

Well there's your answer then. Your wife is thick because of the Thai education system.

I'm guessing that you have hinted at this to her, leading to her ignoring your questions.

If you are so interlectually superior, then you would speak enough Thai to ask directions, or ask the

his post does not comment on his own personal intellect level, it states known facts-statistics not even to mention their horrendous O Net scores the average of which they cannot even pass the thai language subject.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

I speak, read and write some Thai, but I have a lot of difficulties to understand it when they speak.

As soon as you speak a few words of Thai, most locals somehow believe that you are fluent and start talking to you as if you were Thai!

Things are even more complicated here is Isaan, where people speak...well, Isaan, which is for some parts a completely different language.

For example, in Thai a white foreigner is called "farang" as we know all too well, but in Isaan it is called "boksiida"...not exactly the same...

And despite my intellectual capacities, I am not ready to add Isaan to my list of languages to learn...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mugaly said:
39 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

all marriages have their highs and lows...for better and for worse

Not quite true.  It is usually for "worse and for worser"

lmao

thats why i am single. 

thats why 4 1/2 hours flight to bali and many nice japanese surfer girls to hang out with. they dont need an umbrella on the beach, they dont need your money and the brain simply "works"

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

dental procedures are a whole different ballgame.  office price for root canal treatment 10,000 baht very normal. about 50% cost of usa price but if you add trip you lose any savings

No trip cost. I live here. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

That would be a question, wouldn't it?

You want to send me in troubled waters?

You think I am the one sending you to troubled waters. Sounds like you have managed that.