Teen pregnancy prevention gets education, monitoring boosts

webfact

Teen pregnancy prevention gets education, monitoring boosts

By The Nation

fc1fa0b780330c1bed7a880a09ff073b.jpeg

The Education Ministry will include a test on sex education and life skills in the Ordinary National Educational Test (Onet) from this year forward as a part of efforts to prevent teen pregnancy.

“We will soon inform all students about this decision via their schools,” Deputy Prime Minister General Chatchai Sarikulya said on the weekend. 

The decision was reached at a meeting of the committee on preventing teen pregnancy and solving related problems held last Friday. 

Chatchai said the committee also assigned its provincial subcommittees to urgently promote sex education and life skills. 

“We have also asked the Interior Ministry to consider passing ministerial regulations that will boost local administrative bodies’ capabilities in teen-pregnancy prevention,” he said. 

He added that the Public Health Ministry was also nudged to set up centres to monitor teen pregnancies for efficient and timely analyses. 

“The Public Health Ministry will need to efficiently provide counselling on semi-permanent contraception to teenagers who have just given birth to their babies or experienced miscarriage,” Chatchai said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346879

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-04
  • Like 1

This is a serious issue where a government-funded, large-scale publicity campaign could be of great use, if it is done effectively.

That said, when one reads the article, it seems that there are several Agencies/Ministries who are all saying "Something Should Be Done!" without actually doing something.

Although it tends to be controversial (why, I simply do not know), I would favour Sex Education being taught in High School so that information gets to both boys and girls alike. Further, I would like to see it be... blunt and in the students faces. Teens will find a way to have sex (how many members were still virgins in their 20s?) and it is MUCH MUCH better if they have some basic info and understand the value of condoms. And the implications/consequences of having a child at 17-18 years old.

The question that I have is whether Thai society will accept Sex Ed taught in school in a proper manner. Unfortunately, I suspect that the answer is 'No'.

• Like 2

Well, if sex education is taught the same way round as English in upcountry classrooms then we can look forward to a new generation of baby boomers.

The society has to call a horse a horse and a mouse a mouse. Talk openly about it and hammer it into these girls; if you want to get intimate then use contraceptives - readily and easily available anywhere. Even better would be to use a condom on top of it; you never know who else got blessed by Somchai before. 

I never heard of a woman taking the father of her child to the cleaners over child support but rather dumps the next generation upcountry and, in many cases, ends in the sleazier trades of non-existence. Who to blame?

Provide free contraceptive pills rather than committees, working groups and task forces - my grain of salt to the subject! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, if sex education is taught the same way round as English in upcountry classrooms then we can look forward to a new generation of baby boomers.

The society has to call a horse a horse and a mouse a mouse. Talk openly about it and hammer it into these girls; if you want to get intimate then use contraceptives - readily and easily available anywhere. Even better would be to use a condom on top of it; you never know who else got blessed by Somchai before. 

I never heard of a woman taking the father of her child to the cleaners over child support but rather dumps the next generation upcountry and, in many cases, ends in the sleazier trades of non-existence. Who to blame?

Provide free contraceptive pills rather than committees, working groups and task forces - my grain of salt to the subject! 

All the girls' fault?

What about teaching those boys, rather forcefully and painfully to use a condom, always!

And make them pay for child support!!!!!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

All the girls' fault?

What about teaching those boys, rather forcefully and painfully to use a condom, always!

No, of course it is not the girl's fault alone. But she controls the pregnancy her end.

Simultaneously, and I could not agree more with you, you have to take these boys their part of the deal and, regretfully, I have not heard any girl yet taking the father of her child to the bench for alimony and child support. 

It is ultimately with the women (and I am talking not of rape here) to control matters and most kids born out of wedlock were not "raped". Rapists, and I will get beaten for that, should be eliminated and belong into the same category as drug dealers and paedophiles - as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 1

Force the men to "man up" for every child they father!

Problem solved!

Ad some sex-ed into that mix and teenage pregnancy should be down in no time!

But if you still think, talking about sex is "eeeeeeeewwww" and "playing football" is the solution to sexual urges and as long as Somchai can make babies left and right, with no consequences...

• Like 1

Unbelievable in a  a century when the contraceptive  pill is available and cheap that so many stupid people get pregnant. The boys dont give a  fig and will run away as soon as  she gets pregnant and never contribute in any way, and whats the point anyway, kid  will be dumped with Granny and stuck in front of a mobile phone all day whilst the girl go does some menial job in BKK.

Personal responsibility.....totally lacking by parents, grand parents  and kids alike...then theyll bleat theyre poor.......boo bluddy hoo, you created the mess now face the responsibility  of it........aint gonna  happen is it!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

There is nothing in Thailand that a committee can't fix. Especially with the support of sub-committees.

And lets not forget a foreign trip on a specially chartered plane.

6 hours ago, hansnl said:

All the girls' fault?

Most couldnt hold  down a job for more than a  few weeks and the work would be pathetic even then.

I am sure the glorious junta will give invaluable sex education. Here is a sample:

'Listen! Today we teach you about our great Thai nation. Thai people have two types: boy and girl. Boy must not touch girl in bad way. This bad for reputation of Thailand. Girl must not let boy touch her in bad way. Must think of Thailand - greatest nation in the world - and all will be well. Remember the Twelve Great Thai Values of Our wise Leader, Supremo Prayuth  - and you will not become pregnant. Understand? Good. No questions.

Class dismissed.'!

Edited by Eligius

49 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I am sure the glorious junta will give invaluable sex education. Here is a sample:

'Listen! Today we teach you about our great Thai nation. Thai people have two types: boy and girl. Boy must not touch girl in bad way. This bad for reputation of Thailand. Girl must not let boy touch her in bad way. Must think of Thailand - greatest nation in the world - and all will be well. Remember the Twelve Great Thai Values of Our wise Leader, Supremo Prayuth  - and you will not become pregnant. Understand? Good. No questions.

Class dismissed.'!

Youd  have to wake them up first or get their heads out of their phones for them to learn this "valuable lesson"............just like when I sat thru the driving test video a  year or two ago

• Like 1

Contraceptive pill......good god you guys are not even up to date on the options out there....all part of the problem

Good move to introduce sex education, not prevention, as this will just not happen, raise awareness on options for women, because like it or not the majority of men do not enjoy wearing condoms!!

Be realistic Thailand, and raise awareness, after that in most cases it comes down to the individual, but be sure they are aware of choices and methods of control regarding pregnancy and disease, then you have done your best for the youth of today and the future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BEVUP said:

I hope it's not along the same lines as 

Q. What does one do when they get a sexual urge 

A. Play football

Plastic bags not a wise substitute for condoms: ministry

By PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

med_gallery_327_1086_7129.jpg

Using plastic bags instead of condoms during sex would put teenagers at risk of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and severe vaginal lacerations, the Public Health Ministry warned yesterday.

A study has shown that some Mathayom 1 students in the Northeast had used plastic bags to prevent pregnancies and STDs.

It seems that times are changing and I'm just wondering where the condom vending machines are, as in the old article mentioned.

For those out there who can't afford condoms, please ash them twice. It gives Naam Prick a totally new meaning. Not sure what's worse, an STD, or sex with a used plastic bag with spicy rests in it. 

Thailand has immensely developed.

Edited by jenny2017
Gen. P has a little one
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is a serious issue where a government-funded, large-scale publicity campaign could be of great use, if it is done effectively.

That said, when one reads the article, it seems that there are several Agencies/Ministries who are all saying "Something Should Be Done!" without actually doing something.

Although it tends to be controversial (why, I simply do not know), I would favour Sex Education being taught in High School so that information gets to both boys and girls alike. Further, I would like to see it be... blunt and in the students faces. Teens will find a way to have sex (how many members were still virgins in their 20s?) and it is MUCH MUCH better if they have some basic info and understand the value of condoms. And the implications/consequences of having a child at 17-18 years old.

The question that I have is whether Thai society will accept Sex Ed taught in school in a proper manner. Unfortunately, I suspect that the answer is 'No'.

Can you imagine how many virgin sex Education teachers with lost faces would show them squirty tricks how to avoid pregnancy?

9 hours ago, 473geo said:

Contraceptive pill......good god you guys are not even up to date on the options out there....all part of the problem

Good move to introduce sex education, not prevention, as this will just not happen, raise awareness on options for women, because like it or not the majority of men do not enjoy wearing condoms!!

Be realistic Thailand, and raise awareness, after that in most cases it comes down to the individual, but be sure they are aware of choices and methods of control regarding pregnancy and disease, then you have done your best for the youth of today and the future.

I aint Ive got no kids and never  got anyone pregnant, Thais are  too lazy to do anything therefore education would not work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kannot said:

I aint Ive got no kids and never  got anyone pregnant, Thais are  too lazy to do anything therefore education would not work

Exactly the education is the problem here. And the faceless people. Oops.

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Exactly the education is the problem here. And the faceless people. Oops.

How hard is it to know if somchais tadger goes in your snatch that its quite likely lil somchai will emerge 9  months later??

Edited by kannot