Is it safe to buy a Macbook in CM?

Applecnx

HI, 

Thinking of buying a macbook air or pro at the shop in KSK. 

Never bought a mac in Thailand. Do I get the same cover as buying in Singapore?

They said if I have any issues with the mac it will be sent to iCare @cetralAirport and from there be sent to singapore.

Considering The bad reviews iCare @ central air port has I am a bit unsure ?

I would not buy from a store but rather directly from the Apple thailand website. The after sales service would also be by the top level Apple standard. Just make sure how the delivery in handled and if you can Cash On Delivery, which seems doubtful.

https://www.apple.com/th/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I guess you would be okay as long as you buy at a Mac dealership. But do you really want a keyboard with Thai script on it? Perhaps they will sell you one with an English keyboard.

Absolutely want Thai script included on it.  On account of where I am living and who I play with. 

• Like 1

"Considering The bad reviews iCare @ central air port has I am a bit unsure" ?

If you are going to live in CM, that is where you go for authorized Mac service(used to be service at KSK but not sure if it is still there), no matter where you buy, unless you want to take it to Singapore or Hong Kong.

Buy it from one of the Apple stores, not Power Buy or the likes.  Same warranty as if you buy in Singapore.  Can also order online from Apple Store. It is safe.
Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1

I bought my most recent MacBook in CM, no problems. Apple warranty is world wide, that's one of the better aspects of buying a Mac. I have both Thai and English on my keyboard, and it's easy enough to change from one to the other on the screen. 

I've made warranty /Applecare claims in CM on several of my MacBooks and never had any problems. In fact, CM fixed something on an older (but still useful) MacBook that my local Australian shop had told me could only be fixed by buying a new computer. That machine is still going strong a year later.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dundas said:

I bought my most recent MacBook in CM, no problems. Apple warranty is world wide, that's one of the better aspects of buying a Mac. I have both Thai and English on my keyboard, and it's easy enough to change from one to the other on the screen. 

I've made warranty /Applecare claims in CM on several of my MacBooks and never had any problems. In fact, CM fixed something on an older (but still useful) MacBook that my local Australian shop had told me could only be fixed by buying a new computer. That machine is still going strong a year later.

Thank you ? did you buy at KSK? 

Also is it a good idea to buy the extended cover along with the mac? Or is the standard 1yr cover enough?

I will most probably buy an MBA.

• Like 1

There is also a service center on the hwy, rte 11 - it is in a plaza w/the McDonalds... approx across from the Big C superstore.. 

I have a Mac and in 5 years only needed service once which was done out of town and fine.. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I guess you would be okay as long as you buy at a Mac dealership. But do you really want a keyboard with Thai script on it? Perhaps they will sell you one with an English keyboard.

I've brought a MacPro in 2011 with the English keyboard and Thai Script both. Motherboard got fried in electrical storm surge and so replaced with MacBook Air in 2017. Both bought fro Studio 7, authorized Apple reseller. No problems and they assist if I have any aftersale software or logistical questions.

• Like 1

I would avoid the MacBook pro because of keyboard problems.  I had to have my keyboard replaced (under warranty) recently and browsing the internet it appears to be a common problem because of a new design.  I think the MacBook air uses the older design.  By the way, I purchased mine in Udon and it took a week to get my MacBook back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

There is also a service center on the hwy, rte 11 - it is in a plaza w/the McDonalds... approx across from the Big C superstore.. 

I have a Mac and in 5 years only needed service once which was done out of town and fine.. 

That's the Star Avenue Lifestyle Mall. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexRich said:

You can get a Mac with a roman (English) script keyboard in Thailand. Just ask for it and they will provide. In Bangkok, they are usually in stock at the proper Apple shops. You might have to wait a day or two in CM.

• Like 2