Snipper trimmer line trimmer head

Kenny202

Have a Makita line trimmer and the bump head has never been any good. I see the Thais seem to use a plate with short lengths of trimmer line on them. What is the story with these? Are they buy and throw away or do you regularly replace the short bits of trimmer line or is it super HD trimmer line? I trim against cement, pathways etc so go through trim line pretty fast

Can't answer your question as such, however as you cut against concrete pathways etc. as I do -  I have posted a pic. of some trimmer line I bought recently. It's braided  steel wire covered with a plastic sheath - haven't used it as yet so can't comment if it is any better than nylon, although I suspect it will be as the main problem other than as  short life with the nylon is the nylon line breaking off when worked too hard. I brought it from our local junk store (50 Bht shop as I call it)   will give it a run within the next few days and see how it performs.

20180605_092905.jpg

17 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Can't answer your question as such, however as you cut against concrete pathways etc. as I do -  I have posted a pic. of some trimmer line I bought recently. It's braided  steel wire covered with a plastic sheath - haven't used it as yet so can't comment if it is any better than nylon, although I suspect it will be as the main problem other than as  short life with the nylon is the nylon line breaking off when worked too hard. I brought it from our local junk store (50 Bht shop as I call it)   will give it a run within the next few days and see how it performs.

20180605_092905.jpg

You be very careful using that line....the wire frays and can bury deep in you...PLEASE...throw it away, DONT use.

It has to be the most dangerous things on the market...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, weegee said:

You be very careful using that line....the wire frays and can bury deep in you...PLEASE...throw it away, DONT use.

Thanks for that, could be a valid point. Think I will carefully safety kit up and give it a trial run - if what you say is evident - it will either be binned or find another use for it 

• Like 1

Got one of these at the little local hardware for 80 baht. Easy to load the line on. Just give it a pretty good work out and line still ok. I dont care if I have to put new line on before every use because so easy. Never had any luck with stupid bump heads. Usually run out of line or jam 90% into the job and then 10 or 15 minutes to sort it.

The steel line would be ok I think as long as you secure it well and have ur guard on. Cant be anyworse than a brush cutter blade20180605_084851.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

That looks like the stuff I used professionally for many years. With a good machine you can get through small shrubs although that does use the line quicker. I hate and always have hated these blades, I relly can't \see the point unless it's that people will tend to lose whatever tool it is you need to change the line (every 20 minutes or so). You can cut those weeds back to the bare earth if you're planning on digging there.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

That looks like the stuff I used professionally for many years. With a good machine you can get through small shrubs although that does use the line quicker. I hate and always have hated these blades, I relly can't \see the point unless it's that people will tend to lose whatever tool it is you need to change the line (every 20 minutes or so). You can cut those weeds back to the bare earth if you're planning on digging there.

I am sorry Cooked , I don't understand the above reply. I am asking because you always offer good advise when it comes to these things.

What looks like good stuff?

The steel line" or the disk with the small pieces of line on it?

I have the same problem with the bump line feed mechanism also, It see,s I spend more time fixing it than using the damn thing.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I have the same problem with the bump line feed mechanism also, It see,s I spend more time fixing it than using the damn thing.

This is the easiest/cheapest option, readily available.

20180605_154821[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am sorry Cooked , I don't understand the above reply. I am asking because you always offer good advise when it comes to these things.

What looks like good stuff?

The steel line" or the disk with the small pieces of line on it?

Sorry, I was referring to the foto of the plastic line. I wouldn't even try the steel line, sounds like a terrible idea.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

This is the easiest/cheapest option, readily available.

20180605_154821[1].jpg

Yep have to agree....I get mine from OZ sent to me...The aluminium Head for the line is cast and costs $AUD 20....A coil of that Nylon lasts me 2 yrs using the right head. If anyone is looking for a head that works just PM me and I'll give you the contact in OZ, who will post to you.

7 hours ago, Artisi said:

Thanks for that, could be a valid point. Think I will carefully safety kit up and give it a trial run - if what you say is evident - it will either be binned or find another use for it 

Clothes Line !....The safest thing to do....?

6 hours ago, weegee said:

Clothes Line !....The safest thing to do....?

Yeah, I imagine short bits of the steel core heading off at Mach 2.0, easily bury themselves (and assorted bugs) under the skin and be potentially invisible/painless until the infection starts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, weegee said:

To finalise my comments re plastic covered trimmer wire.

Having 50% Scottish blood and having spent Bht 50.40, I decided it should be tried, all comments were taken on board of course.

Outcome - not good.

wire is too stiff to properly wind onto the small diameter spool on the trimmer.

being stiff it didn't feed correctly.

It cut well and no sign of bits flying around.

loading the spool and getting it to feed outweighed the high usage of the nylon line.

So project aborted.

Any body in the market for a partially used roll of plastic covered steel trimmer  wire - can negotiate a good price ?

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Having 50% Scottish blood and having spent Bht 50.40, I decided it should be tried, all comments were taken on board of course.

Outcome - not good.

wire is too stiff to properly wind onto the small diameter spool on the trimmer.

loading the spool and getting it to feed outweighed the high usage of the nylon line.

So project aborted.

Any body in the market for a partially used roll of plastic covered steel trimmer  wire - can negotiate a good price ?

Yep...your Scottish !...?

Looks like you have plenty of clothes line anyway...

• Haha 1

Outcome - not good.
So project aborted.

Any body in the market for a partially used roll of plastic covered steel trimmer  wire - can negotiate a good price [emoji1]

I dont think that line would be meant for the bump head feed type spool. But would be perfect for the plate type heads the Thais use where u just put on 4 short lengths. Would last forever

59 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I dont think that line would be meant for the bump head feed type spool. But would be perfect for the plate type heads the Thais use where u just put on 4 short lengths. Would last forever

Sorry ...but it wont. The moment you cut it...it's starting to fray already. Cut up against a brick wall or driveway, and you are asking for disaster....NEVER EVER use anything with wire or chain on a Trimmer....The Twist Nylon string is the best and lasts longer than any other type of cord. Expensive, and i dont think it's available here in Thailand.

2 hours ago, weegee said:

Yep...your Scottish !...?

Looks like you have plenty of clothes line anyway...

Diameter too small for clothes line, into the "might get used one day box" along with the rest of the junk. 

• Haha 1