Initial probe identifies three factors behind Kalasin pagoda collapse

snoop1130

Initial probe identifies three factors behind Kalasin pagoda collapse

By Jakkapong Rawiwan 
The Nation

ac6d55ed0be783192a52374709a0eb22.jpeg

The collapse of an ancient pagoda under restoration at Wat Kud Wa in Kalasin’s Kuchinarai district on Monday, which resulted in the death of one worker and four others being injured, stemmed from three main causes, the authorities said on Tuesday following an initial investigation.

Weerachai Kaewhawong, Kalasin’s public works and city planning officer, cited the following factors: construction work had strayed from the original plan; there had been changes to the construction materials used in order to save costs; and there was a lack of supervision by an engineer to ensure structural stability. 

Referring to his initial inspection of the pagoda and surrounding building, Weerachai said the site had been modified periodically since 2014 and the pillars supporting the building roof were too small to support the resulting weight. 

Commenting that the initial investigation had also found that the construction work undertaken was not carried out in accordance with the original restoration plan made by an architect, and furthermore had not been supervised by an engineer, he declared that officials would undertake a further inspection of the construction materials used – especially in regard to the reinforced-metal framework and the cement mixture.

Monday’s collapse led to the death of worker Wan Prakhieo, 56, while four other workers sustained broken limbs. 

Police, meanwhile, have established that Wan and his fellow workers were working on the pagoda’s pavilion during a morning downpour when the building collapsed on them.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30347026

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-6-5

10 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Weerachai Kaewhawong, Kalasin’s public works and city planning officer, cited the following factors: construction work had strayed from the original plan; there had been changes to the construction materials used in order to save costs; and there was a lack of supervision by an engineer to ensure structural stability. 

See what happens when you employ "cowboys" in an attempt to cut costs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

"....changes to the construction materials used in order to save costs"

That's it in a nutshell. Money into back pockets of administrators means reduced quality in construction materials. Normal practice!

• Like 2

Lol! all these  arrogant farang ridiculing thai construction methods, corruption, inspection methods and tight fistedness while the Grenfell inquiry is rolling right along in Britain!

download.jpg

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Lol! all these  arrogant farang ridiculing thai construction methods, corruption, inspection methods and tight fistedness while the Grenfell inquiry is rolling right along in Britain!

Yep - either do not read the OP or fail to understand what is printed.

Much easier to blame the workers when they are just doing as they are told, as in all jobs in all countries.

This happens in no other country but Thailand ?

'Weerachai Kaewhawong, Kalasin’s public works and city planning officer, cited the following factors: construction work had strayed from the original plan; there had been changes to the construction materials used in order to save costs; and there was a lack of supervision by an engineer to ensure structural stability.'

Let's trust they didn't spend too much money only to come up with the obvious.

14 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

download.jpg

Yes, well, problem is, it's more prevalent in LoS. And any inquiry is likely to be an under the carpet one. 

Isn't it?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rebo said:

And the result of these findings? Nothing.

Au contraire, they found that no one above the status of "laborer" was at fault.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 6:44 PM, Orton Rd said:

so Thainess then, skimping on costs, safety and construction standards. Our house is a bit like that. ?

My new 6 mos old house had dirt in the cement after I ripped it up a leaky bathroom floor. They used dirt, should have been solid. Saving cost, but cost them to fix. . 

Edited by holy cow cm

On 6/5/2018 at 6:40 PM, snoop1130 said:

construction work had strayed from the original plan; there had been changes to the construction materials used in order to save costs; and there was a lack of supervision by an engineer to ensure structural stability

I'm surprised any building remains standing in this country... the workmanship is substandard - and that's putting it mildly! 

23 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

download.jpg

lets hope that an inquest follows the inquiry

On 6/5/2018 at 11:57 PM, AYJAYDEE said:

download.jpg

Right on cue. Time for a sneer and a swipe at the English. Nothing worthwhile to say about the matter in hand, just a sneer. I bet you are a barrel of fun to be with....

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 11:57 PM, AYJAYDEE said:

download.jpg

On 6/6/2018 at 4:20 AM, canthai55 said:

Yep - either do not read the OP or fail to understand what is printed.

Much easier to blame the workers when they are just doing as they are told, as in all jobs in all countries.

This happens in no other country but Thailand ?

Didn't take long, for the defenders of all things Thai, to crawl out of the woodwork!

"Don't look here- look over there!"

Pathetic!

16 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Didn't take long, for the defenders of all things Thai, to crawl out of the woodwork!

"Don't look here- look over there!"

Pathetic!

didnt take long for the euro defenders to crawl out from under their rock! pathetic

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

Right on cue. Time for a sneer and a swipe at the English. Nothing worthwhile to say about the matter in hand, just a sneer. I bet you are a barrel of fun to be with....

nice change from thai swipin and much more fun

39 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

didnt take long for the euro defenders to crawl out from under their rock! pathetic

I am not defending anything!

I am just intelligent to understand, that this is a forum, dealing with things in THAILAND!

Seems, not all of us are that clever!

4 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I am not defending anything!

I am just intelligent to understand, that this is a forum, dealing with things in THAILAND!

Seems, not all of us are that clever!

and I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the foreigners that live in thailand. thanks for modeling

1 hour ago, AYJAYDEE said:

and I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the foreigners that live in thailand. thanks for modeling

No, you are not!

You are deflecting, away from the problem at hand, with the "look...over there"- tactic.

Nice try!

What hypocrisy, by the way?

I am not responsible for either incident!

So I am just looking at what is going on in the country, I live in now and which subjects, we are discussing here...or at least should be, unless the apology & deflecting - brigade comes along!

By the way: I am not from England, still I found the happenings around that hi- rise fire, very disturbing and discussed it, on the WORLD NEWS FORUM!

Where is should be discussed!

End of!