Tourists exposed to harmful latex in Thailand

webfact

Tourists exposed to harmful latex in Thailand
By Kim Jae-heun

A woman, identified only by her surname Kim, went to Phuket for her honeymoon about three years ago. 

There, she bought latex products worth nearly 4 million won ($3,736). The problem she found out later was they generate hazardous anions. 

Kim had purchased a whole set of mattresses and pillows for herself and her husband, and for the child she was expecting at the time. She never realized such products could contain life-threatening chemicals. 

Full story: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2018/06/356_250111.html

-- THE KOREA TIMES 2018-06-06

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Yikes, radioactive mattresses and pillows.  Thailand's biggest export is latex right? 

God only knows what Thailand growers put into their latex. Some big brand tyre companies have rejected Thai rubber because they add sulphuric acid to it to make it coagulate quicker. It makes life easier for them but also reduces the quality of the rubber. That sounds believable.

Edited by Cadbury
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone explain the fascination with latex pillows by Chinese tourists? When / how did this become a thing? Chiang Mai is literally overrun with latex pillow shops all with Chinese signage.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

God only knows what Thailand growers put into their latex. Some big brand tyre companies have rejected Thai rubber because they add sulphuric acid to it to make it coagulate quicker. It makes life easier for them but also reduces the quality of the rubber. That sounds believable.

yes, it is part of the process that vulcanises natural rubber.

and you half wits talking about radiation, yes you receive it every day,

as for the anions as you will try not using any salt and remove all anions from your water before you drink it.

while I suspect locals will use the cheapest materials to make a product, probably just a case of something that was deemed acceptable a few years back.

many of the minerals we use will have background radiation, what about the bentonite clay the green fluffies love to use for their detox?

Edited by manchega
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, clokwise said:

Can someone explain the fascination with latex pillows by Chinese tourists? When / how did this become a thing? Chiang Mai is literally overrun with latex pillow shops all with Chinese signage.

from the linked article

Anions _ negatively charged ions _ were over the past two decades thought to have effects that can kill bacteria and help purify air.

This was first brought up in Japan in the 1990s, leading to an anion-product sales boom in Korea and China.

"At first, I thought they were a little too expensive. But if they generate anions and they last long without losing their form, I thought the price was worth it," Kim said.

Not a single study has been released to prove products containing anions are healthy.

5 hours ago, clokwise said:

Their government does not provide the desired enlightenment.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

I guess the fact still stands. The woman bought the products in Thailand, and the products was produced using products that posed a life threatening danger to her, her husband and their expected baby. To me that is the inportant part of this piece of news.

Would be interesting to know where these latex articles have been produced, I mean really 'made', wouldn't you think? Could have been a welcome first step, before pointing an accusing finger at a whole sector of agriculture, and of industry... But just IMO, you know, when you rather like your news to be sensational...

32 minutes ago, manchega said:

as for the anions as you will try not using any salt and remove all anions from your water before you drink it.

while I suspect locals will use the cheapest materials to make a product, probably just a case of something that was deemed acceptable a few years back.

many of the minerals we use will have background radiation, what about the bentonite clay the green fluffies love to use for their detox?

I think referring to others on this forum as half wits is juvenile and rude. But perhaps you are that kind of guy?

You also seem to have trouble with your eyesight. You have replied to me referring to radiation but in my post I mentioned nothing about radiation. You seem to have me confused with someone else. "Easily confused" seems to be another of your shortcomings?

I referred to the practice of some Thai rubber producers contaminating their product with sulphuric acid. Something not liked by some tyre makers. The government is doing their best to discourage that practice as it affects the market price and reputation of Thai rubber producers in general. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, manchega said:

Sulfuric acid is one way, not the way, I suggest you read this before shooting your mouth of further.

http://rubberjournalasia.com/thailand-urges-farmers-to-stop-use-of-sulphuric-acid-in-latex/

As for the anions, they are produced in the product by adding monazite, which contains an average of 7% thorium.  Just 25g of monazite has a mSv/y of 62.  Compare that to the 0.1 mSv/y permissible in drinking water, which is the same as a single chest x-ray,  and you should be able to form a more reasoned impression of who the half wit is.

• Like 1

As usual, nobody seems to have read the original article, where the following titbit can be found:

"A deadly level of radiation has been detected from anion-contained latex products sold in a number of tourist destinations in Thailand, including Phuket, Krabi, Bangkok and Pattaya, according to industry sources. 
Those products were found to include monazite powder. Monazite is an ore containing radioactive thorium to boost the anion production _ but it can raise levels of radon emitted. This, in a worst case scenario, could cause elevated risks for cancer. 

"I would say 95 percent of the anion latex products sold here are made with monazite. Monazite is a cheap mineral that has a large amount of anions. It generates a massive amount of radiation at the same," said an industry insider on the condition of anonymity during an interview with The Korea Times. "There are other substances that generate anions. But monazite is the cheapest material that leaves a big margin for retailers.""

In short, for the hard of reading: Local producers use Monazite, an ore containing thorium, a radioactive material that can raise levels of radon in the room. This is something you do not want in your bedroom...

Edited by Jonah Tenner
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, clokwise said:

Someone told them that if they do “it” on a latex pillow they did not need a condom!!

• Haha 2

My first visit to Thailand (many moons ago) was my first time ever to use condoms. I ended up after that holiday with a terrible red rash all over my privates and went to see the doc at a special clinic as soon as I got back home to the UK. I expected a diagnosis of STD and red faced I admitted my sins of liaisons with bargirls. The doc laughed and explained that it was an allergic reaction to latex. The condoms were purchased in Thailand and now I wonder...

3 hours ago, bangrak said:

Would be interesting to know where these latex articles have been produced, I mean really 'made', wouldn't you think? Could have been a welcome first step, before pointing an accusing finger at a whole sector of agriculture, and of industry... But just IMO, you know, when you rather like your news to be sensational...

If you know that, it doesn´t make much difference. IMO, all countries are responsible for the products they both import for sale or produce by themselfs.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

This is misleading. Latex in itself is fine.

Anion latex refers to a type of latex manufacturing method and is more popular in the Chinese market.

The anion latex pillow comprises, by weight, 100 parts of natural emulsion, 1-3 parts of vulcanizing agents, 0.5-1.5 parts of antioxidants, 10-20 parts of anion powder, 1-3 parts of carrageenan and 1-3 parts of dioctyl sulfosuccinate sodium salt. It is promoted as being more supple than regular latex and promoting sleep.

Promoting sleep forever

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

This is misleading. Latex in itself is fine.

Anion latex refers to a type of latex manufacturing method and is more popular in the Chinese market.

The anion latex pillow comprises, by weight, 100 parts of natural emulsion, 1-3 parts of vulcanizing agents, 0.5-1.5 parts of antioxidants, 10-20 parts of anion powder, 1-3 parts of carrageenan and 1-3 parts of dioctyl sulfosuccinate sodium salt. It is promoted as being more supple than regular latex and promoting sleep.

How exactly do you know my girlfriend's exact makeup?

23 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Sulfuric acid is one way, not the way, I suggest you read this before shooting your mouth of further.

http://rubberjournalasia.com/thailand-urges-farmers-to-stop-use-of-sulphuric-acid-in-latex/

As for the anions, they are produced in the product by adding monazite, which contains an average of 7% thorium.  Just 25g of monazite has a mSv/y of 62.  Compare that to the 0.1 mSv/y permissible in drinking water, which is the same as a single chest x-ray,  and you should be able to form a more reasoned impression of who the half wit is.

Indeed and during the flight back to korea the family received much higher doeses of radiation.....

the sulfur is needed from somewhere, sulfuric acid is used in the process, it does not matter from whence, 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, manchega said:

Indeed and during the flight back to korea the family received much higher doeses of radiation.....

the sulfur is needed from somewhere, sulfuric acid is used in the process, it does not matter from whence, 

Sure, the 0.035mSv from a short flight is clearly a "higher dose" than the 62mSv from sleeping on 25g of menzonite, at least you were nearly right, the flight home being actually only 1771 times less!

22 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Sure, the 0.035mSv from a short flight is clearly a "higher dose" than the 62mSv from sleeping on 25g of menzonite, at least you were nearly right, the flight home being actually only 1771 times less!

are you sure because above you mention 0.1 permissable in water

/6/2018 at 3:11 PM, Kieran00001 said: