Building wall(s) to boundary wall.....OK?

Hi

I was speaking to a pal who built here before and doing his last house (he says) now.

I mentioned I'd wondered if we could put up a couple of lean to structures from our house across to the boundary wall with a neighbour.

Naturally water wouldn't flow over the wall we'd gutter it.

It's uninhabited orchard land.

We put the 2m high wall up at no cost to the neighbour.

The lean to idea makes a big saving as it only needs a lightweight (clear) roof, thin end walls, and simple non weight bearing floor. 

I mentioned to my friend that it may not be strictly legal as although our house line is over 2m from the wall now, it would infringe on the 2m which I thought was the minimum.

He said "No" ....said he'd been through the same problem with eh place he's building now.....and whilst the face of the house wall must be 2m or more from the boundary, joining walls at a perpendicular to the boundary could be erected.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny.

Thanks v much

Edited by cheeryble

Yes and no...

The closest a structure can be to the boundary wall without the consent of your neighbour is 50cms, but that depends on the height of the structure.

There is, however, an exception for "temporary" structures. If you can find a way to make the structure temporary then you are good to go.

Alternatively you can always go "at risk" and see if anyone complains. Just bare in mind that if they do you will have to chop it back 50cms.

• Like 1

Hmmm

I've been advised to ask the tesabahn first.

That said the gap from house to wall is 2.7m, say 2.5m. Take off a half metre leaves 2m.....a bit tight but still useful building space for small bathroom, galley kitchen, and atrium.

Trouble is i lose the benefit of simply hanging the rafters from wall to wall.

I would move the house over a bit west but the bedroom 3 and sala section is already built, and I don't want to squeeze the carport narrower than 6m......it's already up to the western boundary on the other side.

Edited by cheeryble

Just build it, like the Thais do - You only have to go into any Moo Baan & see that they don't worry 

Make sure the fence / wall is just inside your boundary line - there is no such thing as sharing cost of fence  - if you put one up first then they don't need to

From what I've read on hear the legal limit of permanent wall is 1 mtr with window & less without - But that didn't stop my neighbour ( what would happen if I decided to make house bigger on that side )

• Like 2