Most Thais Think Economy Bad, Getting Worse

webfact

21 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Went to a meeting last night of Thai people who were buying up real estate like crazy and all think the economy is great.  Depends on where you are and what new services are being constructed in your area.  Lots of new high speed trains and new motorways and new industrial parks in some areas that employ poor people.  Can't find common labor and have to import millions of people from Burma and Lao.  How many foreign laborers (poor people) is Thailand now employing?

There's estimated to be around 5 million migrant labourers in Thailand, around 3 million of them from Myanmar, they mostly do the jobs that Thai's don't want to do such as construction work. https://thailand.iom.int/labour-migration

Almost every country in the world has similar to one degree or another.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Actually I understand the Colonel called it “Kentucky Fried”...

In any event, it’s definitely not Southern fried, it’s deep fried under pressure.

I was just having a little fun with their advertising words. They've experimented with various slogans but I just Googled and notice as you say they are using Kentucky Fried Chicken today. And I might add, strangely enough, I find KFC in Thailand much tastier than in my home country.

• Haha 1

I was just having a little fun with their advertising words. They've experimented with various slogans but I just Googled and notice as you say they are using Kentucky Fried Chicken today. And I might add, strangely enough, I find KFC in Thailand much tastier than in my home country.

KFC used to be “Kentucky Fried Chicken” and the name was changed to just “KFC” due to the negative health issues associated with fried food.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Economics exists with or without economists in much the same way that engineering exists with or without engineers.

Well, imho that's debatable, but I accept it's your view.

45 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Went to a meeting last night of Thai people who were buying up real estate like crazy and all think the economy is great.  Depends on where you are and what new services are being constructed in your area.  Lots of new high speed trains and new motorways and new industrial parks in some areas that employ poor people.  Can't find common labor and have to import millions of people from Burma and Lao.  How many foreign laborers (poor people) is Thailand now employing?

Greetings Rarebear - Congrats on 7 months here and 32 posts.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure.

Everybody I know from those areas have left to come to the busier cities for better education,  jobs and lifestyle.

Chicago and Detroit are not great either, but other areas are booming...

Everything and the world revolves around the great Metropolis that is Bangkok, hey?

You need to get out more and realize that there is life in the cities in the provinces which (were) booming too until recently.

And everything DOES NOT have to revolve around the horror that is BKK and it's central, all encompassing power and greed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rarebear said:

You sound like you've only lived here five minutes.  You are talking nonsense.

They employ foreign labour because locals they are too bone ideal, useless and lazy to do a proper days work.  The construction industry in Thailand would grind to a halt if the Burmese left.

For the vast, vast majority things are far from great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Everything and the world revolves around the great Metropolis that is Bangkok, hey?

You need to get out more and realize that there is life in the cities in the provinces which (were) booming too until recently.

And everything DOES NOT have to revolve around the horror that is BKK and it's central, all encompassing power and greed.

I don't go to Bangkok, so you just wasted your time.....

Wake up, it’s the cities and provinces outside Bangkok that are sucking the country dry.

11 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

There's no escaping the fact that Bangkok is the single largest concentration of people in the country and the largest contributor to the economy, we may not like that but it remains a fact.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Wake up, it’s the cities and provinces outside Bangkok that are sucking the country dry.

Wake up?

It's the other way round. Been like that for decades.

BKK always has spent more money than it earned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Wake up?

It's the other way round. Been like that for decades.

BKK always has spent more money than it earned.

Do you have some numbers on that or a link?

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Do you have some numbers on that or a link?

No, can't be arsed. I never post links.

I post too much on this forum as is.

And don't enjoy an argument on an open forum with somebody I've never met.

Carry on posting...…. jeez over 4k in a year?

But I have lived here for over 15 years and used to read the BP in print. It's all out there if you wish to search for it.

Do have a nice day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

No, can't be arsed. I never post links.

I post too much on this forum as is.

And don't enjoy an argument on an open forum with somebody I've never met.

Carry on posting...…. jeez over 4k in a year?

But I have lived here for over 15 years and used to read the BP in print. It's all out there if you wish to search for it.

Do have a nice day.

Fair enough. FWIW the BMA budget is THB 80 billion or USD 2.6 bill., Thailands GDP is USD 409 bill. BKK population is 12.2 mill, Thailands population is 65 mill. That doesn't seem to me to be unfairly balanced either as a percentage of the population or of GDP, but that's just a surface level look see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

The OP?

I thought you said it was debatable, apparently not.

I do understand my friend, that not all things are easily understandable, but a better approach than a wise-ass comment is simply to say 'I don't understand what you mean'.

Anyway, no matter, this really is my last post on this thread, the signal/noise ratio is too low.

• Haha 1

I do understand my friend, that not all things are easily understandable, but a better approach than a wise-ass comment is simply to say 'I don't understand what you mean'.

Anyway, no matter, this really is my last post on this thread, the signal/noise ratio is too low.

Oh, I thought you were absolutely clear.

Have a nice day.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Greetings Rarebear - Congrats on 7 months here and 32 posts.

Thank you.  I've been in Thailand for 20 years working as an economic consultant to the hotel and industrial sectors.  Now we are advising buy in many areas outside of Bangkok that will be associated with the future transportation sector expansion.