PM urges public to consider coal power plants

webfact

PNOHT610606001013901.jpg

BANGKOK, 6th June 2018 (NNT) - Following power outages in the Northeast during the past week, the Prime Minister has ordered the Ministry of Energy to ensure that outages do not affect economic zones and urged the public to consider the possibility of coal power plants. 

Spokesperson of the Prime Minister's Office, Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said today the Minister of Energy has delivered a report to the Cabinet on power outages in the Northeast during the past week.

He revealed that peak power usage coupled with a lightning strike at the Hongsa Power Station in Laos had restricted the ability to supply electricity to the region.

Since the report, the Prime Minister has urged the public to consider and study the benefits and impact of coal power plants. 

The Prime Minister also ordered the Ministry of Energy to cut power on a zone basis and prioritize based on impact.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-06

18 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

The Mr. Nice Guy approach.

The Big Stick approach.

This re-emphasis on coal smells a lot like some backroom deal has been lined up or already done.

His famous EEC Corridor dream is not going to work if there is not enough power and I doubt that solar or wind is going to cut it. Unreliability of Laos power is another added concern.

Given this renewed approach my tip is there WILL be a coal-fired power station....somewhere in Thailand.

I doubt it will have much impact on the air quality in the Asian region given the thousands of coal stations presently chugging away in China, India, Indonesea, Japan and Vietnam. And there are plenty more being built right now.

They might  as well go all out and build a group of nuclear  power plants.

• Like 1

Just now, watcharacters said:

They might  as well go all out and build a group of nuclear  power plants.

If it was any country other than Thailand I would agree. I imagine nuclear power plants require precision maintenance. That's not something the Thais are good at. They can't even maintain sewage treatment plants. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

If it was any country other than Thailand I would agree. I imagine nuclear power plants require precision maintenance. That's not something the Thais are good at. They can't even maintain sewage treatment plants. 

Sorry, Cadbury.

I was being totally facetious. 

I have too much respect for the  minimal capabilities of far  too many in the country.

• Like 2

Sounds to me like Trump is trying to save his political ass by selling coal to Thailand. Kill 2 birds with one stone, sell Pennsylvania coal and balance trade. Screw the side effects. The deal is probably already inked.

• Like 1

coal is not that plentiful in Thailand and its time is up to be used on this planet

Where coal is plentiful is Indonesia where Banpu(Thai set co) mines and exports its coal. Then China who have huge amounts of coal to export.

This is about Banpu and the Chinese influencing and paying for policy. There should be no surprise with the Chinese who been heavy players with the junta since the coup and have chinese/thai firms like cpgroup in their pockets.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

So much for Prayut's 2015 speech before the UN:

"Thailand reaffirmed its commitment under the Intended Nationally Determined Contributions to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions between 20 and 25 per cent by 2030."

https://gadebate.un.org/en/70/thailand

Coal fuel ranks number 1 when it comes to producing climate damaging greenhouse gases.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=73&t=11

What Prayut should have committed to is cheap energy regardless of the cost to people's survival.

CO2.JPG

19 hours ago, webfact said:

the Prime Minister has urged the public to consider and study the benefits and impact of coal power plants. 

The Prime Minister has urged the public to consider and  might want to study the benefits and impact of coal power plants, before spouting nonsense as usual...

Obviously, he is line for a very nice retirement kick back from whoever it is that wants to build the plants !!!

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Like 1