Old Brit Accused Of Driving Drunk, Killing Rayong Girl

I wonder how much compensation my family would get if I was killed by a drunk driver in Thailand.a friend last year was killed after a ice truck dont a full u turn on a 4 lane road.the ice company admitted it was their fault,the driver was known as a mad driver.no drink involved and in the afternoon.the truck company sat down and made an offer of 750,000b but when they found out he wasn't married paid out nothing,same with insurance and that was the end of that.nothing.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Because I have first hand knowledge of an accident here with a drunk Thai and the Police covering it up. What's your problem with it?  you don't like that i say 'don't drink and drive'?  or you don't like that I KNOW that the farang is toast even if the Thai was drunk too (which is likely).  You need to take off your rose tinted specs mate and get real.

I guess you didn't understand my point. My point is that the accident happened, because the Brit was drunk, period! NOT because of the Thai driver.

There is totally no need to spread some gossip based on your 'view' of Thais.

Yes, I know that quite a lot of Thai drink and drive, but also a lot don't!

FYI, I don't drink and drive and I have no problem if people get lenghty jail terms when driving under influence.

Even if they don't kill someone they should go to jail in my opinion, since you knowingly engage in an activity which can end in loss of life.

I hope this guy will spend a reasonable time in jail (equal to a vehicular manslaughter term)!

8 hours ago, transam said:

You are correct...

Really? Was he there at the accident and witnessed that the Thai was drunk as well? I don't think so and it is total bs to say something like that.

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

please go back and read the post we are talking about.

the guy, was talking about insurance paying out after an accident whilst driving with out a licence.

You fail to see many things, just like many on the roads here.

llike i said it's all about attitude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stoner:

Here is a comment from 'the guy'. I hate to break your illusion stanleycoin, but but kieran00001 is correct.

For me not having a Thai DL was just a financial risk, nothing more. I will never put anybody in danger, because of my choices!

I have a DL from the Netherlands for over 30 years without any accidents in the Netherlands and without any accidents by my fault in Thailand (sometimes you can't avoid stupid drivers).

I don't know your knowledge of getting a DL in the Netherlands, but I (and probably others here) can tell you that this isn't easy.

When I did went to get my Thai DL, of course it was nothing more than some reaction and vision tests. No need to perform any exam.

Now, if a Thai goes to the Netherlands with his/her Thai DL it's another story. They will have to start all over again, since the Netherlands doesn't give any value to a Thai DL.

I know some Thais who were a good driver in Thailand, but failed a couple of times in the Netherlands, before they passed.

For me it's safe to say that I trust all people with a Dutch DL to be capable drivers!

12 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Clean hands, you mean having a valid licence?  Are you serious?  That's a legality that results in a small fine, not something that kills people like drink driving.

The Thai police never gave me any fine for not having a Thai DL and they fully accepted my Dutch DL, so in the beginning I thought I will get a Thai DL later, but it became a few years. Of course it's better to get a Thai DL in case you are involved in a more serious accident.

On 6/8/2018 at 6:44 AM, catman20 said:

we dont know how much he was over the limit!!  if 2 or 3 times over sure he was pissed if 1 or 2 point over the legal limit still soba but not in the eyes of the law and press.

You clearly are a potential danger to the public if you think you are "soba" after drinking...even one drink slows your reactions and clouded your judgement.

7 hours ago, Cheops said:

Here is a comment from 'the guy'. I hate to break your illusion stanleycoin, but but kieran00001 is correct.

For me not having a Thai DL was just a financial risk, nothing more. I will never put anybody in danger, because of my choices!

I have a DL from the Netherlands for over 30 years without any accidents in the Netherlands and without any accidents by my fault in Thailand (sometimes you can't avoid stupid drivers).

I don't know your knowledge of getting a DL in the Netherlands, but I (and probably others here) can tell you that this isn't easy.

When I did went to get my Thai DL, of course it was nothing more than some reaction and vision tests. No need to perform any exam.

Now, if a Thai goes to the Netherlands with his/her Thai DL it's another story. They will have to start all over again, since the Netherlands doesn't give any value to a Thai DL.

I know some Thais who were a good driver in Thailand, but failed a couple of times in the Netherlands, before they passed.

For me it's safe to say that I trust all people with a Dutch DL to be capable drivers!

So there are no bad drivers with Dutch licences?

6 hours ago, Cheops said:

The Thai police never gave me any fine for not having a Thai DL and they fully accepted my Dutch DL, so in the beginning I thought I will get a Thai DL later, but it became a few years. Of course it's better to get a Thai DL in case you are involved in a more serious accident.

Over 6 months on any foreign licence and you are driving illegally.

Over 3 months and you probably aren't insured.

8 hours ago, Cheops said:

Like i said it's all about attitude.

Nice try to excuse yourself.  just like many foreigners do,  and the Thai's do.

Hate to brake your illusion,   but people who drive on the roads with out a licence are bad people,  your part of problem here.

Its all about attitude,  wonder what else.  you may have done, with your attitude on the roads over here.

If it walks like a duck, Quacks like a duck, it's probably a Duck

There are no bad Dutch drivers or riders in Thailand.  :cheesy:

Have a nice day :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

You clearly are a potential danger to the public if you think you are "soba" after drinking...even one drink slows your reactions and clouded your judgement.

if that was the case why is not a no alcohol ban for anyone driving ?

On 6/8/2018 at 2:59 PM, Expatthailover said:
On 6/8/2018 at 11:53 AM, richard_smith237 said:

In planning for a few beers after a game of football last night I chose not take my bike and use a Taxi.... 

This very nearly cost me... The taxi driver attempted an impossibly stupid U-Turn and didn't see the Tuk Tuk fast approaching. I screamed 'STOP', the Taxi driver stopped as the Tuk Tuk skidded, swerved round us and nearly toppled over...  Speeding Tuk Tuk + moronic taxi driver....  I may well have been safer for the 5-10 minute journey home on my bike after 4 beers.

My point here is that while there is no evidence that the Thai driver made a mistake, was driving too fast or dangerously and that the Brit admitted to falling asleep at the wheel we have all seen on a daily basis the frequency of dangerous driving on Thailand roads. 

This comment in no way absolves the brit from driving drunk or driving without a licence - Instead it highlights the necessity of ensuring we are riding / driving legally at all times because the chance of being involved in an accident here in Thailand is far greater than we are familiar with in our home countries. 

But but but.

Another attempt to defray responsibility.

The silly old fool was drunk and he drove.

He killed an innocent little girl and destroyed her parents lives.

No excuses.

He should be thrown in clink and prisoners informed who he is and what he has done.

Your attempting to mitigate is abhorrent quite frankly.

Its quite cut and dried. 

If this had happened back in good old back home i suspect you would say nothing

Then you must have a remarkably poor reading age.

[ "This comment in no way absolves the brit from driving drunk or driving without a licence - Instead it highlights the necessity of ensuring we are riding / driving legally at all times because the chance of being involved in an accident here in Thailand is far greater than we are familiar with in our home countries" ]

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Hate to brake your illusion,   but people who drive on the roads with out a licence are bad people,  your part of problem here.

Its all about attitude,  wonder what else.  you may have done, with your attitude on the roads over here.

Just like there are no bad UK drivers in Thailand.. also laughable. This guy seems a good example of a bad UK driver, drinking driving falling asleep behind the wheel.

As for getting a Thai license was one of the first things I did its not that hard, and saves a lot of trouble later on.

12 hours ago, Cheops said:

Really? Was he there at the accident and witnessed that the Thai was drunk as well? I don't think so and it is total bs to say something like that.

If you think it is BS that's fine, perhaps some of us have experience of such matters eh..

Nudge nudge....

PS. Not involving me though..:stoner:

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

What you have not explained is how you have come to the conclusion that people who drive without insurance are "bad people", could you explain that to me because all I can see is that they are taking a risk with their own finances rather than that of an insurance companies, and if they have the money then what could possibly be bad about taking that risk? 

37 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What you have not explained is how you have come to the conclusion that people who drive without insurance are "bad people", could you explain that to me because all I can see is that they are taking a risk with their own finances rather than that of an insurance companies, and if they have the money then what could possibly be bad about taking that risk? 

Because an uninsured may cause an accident where he also kills himself, so how do the others involved stand then...?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Because an uninsured may cause an accident where he also kills himself, so how do the others involved stand then...?

Same as being hit by an uninsured Thai I suppose. If they have no money you are up sh*t creek.

10 minutes ago, transam said:

You can still make a claim against someone who is uninsured, it is just a claim against them instead of their insurance company.  So again, how does this translate to being a "bad person"?

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Same as being hit by an uninsured Thai I suppose. If they have no money you are up sh*t creek.

Yes, but the OP stated that they had funds to pay if they had an accident, in that case what wrong has been committed?

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

In the UK if caught uninsured they take your car away. You are fined and 6 points on your license. You have 14 days to collect your car with proof of insurance and pay 150 quid expenses. If you don't do it within 14 days the ride is crushed..

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You can still make a claim against someone who is uninsured, it is just a claim against them instead of their insurance company.  So again, how does this translate to being a "bad person"?

What happens if the uninsured died in the accident...?

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You can make a claim, but if they have no money what's the point?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

In the UK if caught uninsured they take your car away. You are fined and 6 points on your license. You have 14 days to collect your car with proof of insurance and pay 150 quid expenses. If you don't do it within 14 days the ride is crushed..

Doesn't happen here so irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

In general people with no insurance are bad people as they usually don't have the money to pay out when there is an accident. Now there might be a small section that does have the finances but its harder to get money from them then to get it from an insurance company.

Also if the person dies your claim is gone. So all in all I would not call them good people as they make it harder for others. I also believe insurance is mandatory. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

In general people with no insurance are bad people as they usually don't have the money to pay out when there is an accident. Now there might be a small section that does have the finances but its harder to get money from them then to get it from an insurance company.

Also if the person dies your claim is gone. So all in all I would not call them good people as they make it harder for others. I also believe insurance is mandatory. 

Which is the reason Thai rides must have the gov basic cover, if not the place would be in a mess regarding getting any payout..

If the blokes cash is in the UK what happens...?

I guess the same would apply if a falang is hit by an uninsured Thai with no money, and let's face it that's a far more likely scenario than the reverse.

Which is the reason Thai rides must have the gov basic cover, if not the place would be in a mess regarding getting any payout..

That only covers a basic payment to people who are injured doesn't it? It's compulsory, but only if you bother to pay road tax.

Archived