Video: Tragedy just averted as school song thaew driver slapped with 5,000 baht fine and suspension

snoop1130

8 hours ago, coulson said:

In other words driving as fast as possible wasn't fast enough.

Just like most Thais drivers habit not to stop at red lights You know those pesky lights hold you up for 90 seconds  The me me  first  attitude kicks in So for the inconvenience of being held up for 90 seconds just drive through them and if  you have an accident make sure you have a good bullshit story written out to tell, the police or a big fat brown envelope in glove box should do the trick. Either way, you will get off to do it again. No problem

1839244979_downloadCar.jpg.6834b281be88cff7ffad787185758185.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is precisely why I will never trust a Thai to drive my grandson to and from school. Fined 5000 baht? Suspension? Pathetic! This lying idiot isn't fit to operate a supermarket trolley let alone be given responsibility to drive school kids to school.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

this lying idiot is but another brick in the wall

Haa ! ... my fading eyes saw this line; " ....  Land Transport fined the driver Beng, 51, 5,000 baht and suspended him from driving for 30 days. ...." were I thought he had been fined 51,500 baht, which is what it should have been ... and suspended from driving any Public Transport for life !

Include all the comments above about driving through the lights AFTER they had turned red ... double any fines or suspensions for lying ... 

11 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Give the guy a break. It’s not easy working out when to go and when to stop when driving towards these intricI ate lighting systems. I think the lights should always be green. Would make my life so much easier. 

I think the guy was thinking like you always Green, so was the big truck??

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I counted six seconds the light was red before the driver went through it.

When it changes from green to amber there's also three seconds before it turns red, when you should regard it as "stop", unless you are already passing through the junction, or "by braking might cause an accident" - IIRC.

As the previous posted said - "lying bar steward".

absolutely right 6 seconds+..nothing will change until they remove this type of driver for good ...he must have a few amulets around the neck for good luck 

He is a lying prick. I saw it on Thai TV last night and the lights were red before he got to them. He never made any effort to stop or slow down. Baht 5000 is a little better but Baht 10,000 and some jail time would have been more deserving

12 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Normal behaviour on the roads of Thailand.

This can be seen every day,  in a every province,  what's new. CCTV :thumbsup:

Was he telling lies about how long it was red,  when he went through the red light. ?

This would be most unusual behaviour.

Taking care of your children, with care in the community by the passenger service vehicle drivers of Thailand. :bah:

Yep, I didn't see anything unusual, happens all the time here. The only thing he did wrong, was to not flash both turn indicator to say "I am running the red light, all stop and let me through" specific Thai traffic indicator...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

I reckon he will be driving in 3 weeks legally or illegally. Nobody in Thailand takes the law seriously. 5,000 baht fine big deal

Would you really expect any other outcome. LOS, the land of stupid when it comes to law enforcement -  do what you want whenever you want, get caught - ignore it or hand over money, get someone else to take the blame, leave the country, or even become a monk for a week or 2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know how long lights stay red at this particular junction - previous posters have mentioned 1 minute and 90 seconds - but some traffic lights take as long as 5 minutes to change, which I believe is part of the problem. Drivers are more likely to run the lights with that sort of potential wait, particularly when operating on a tight schedule. And don't get me started on the clocks counting down the time to the next light change, which just invite trouble.....

2 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

I don't know how long lights stay red at this particular junction - previous posters have mentioned 1 minute and 90 seconds - but some traffic lights take as long as 5 minutes to change, which I believe is part of the problem. Drivers are more likely to run the lights with that sort of potential wait, particularly when operating on a tight schedule. And don't get me started on the clocks counting down the time to the next light change, which just invite trouble.....

The thinking behind the countdown timer is based on drivers a) obeying the law and b) using logic when driving.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

And don't get me started on the clocks counting down the time to the next light change, which just invite trouble.....

I've seen those taken out before and I never understood that because I always liked knowing how much actual time I was dealing with. I guess the average driver can't be trusted with that knowledge?

Speaking of that, are the yellow lights shorter than average in Thailand? The amount of time they often gives forces you into a split second decision to slam of the breaks or speed through the intersection. I suspect the authorities think if the yellow is too long it will be taken advantage of but I'm not sure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nice going - after all it is only a school "bus" - in which in other countries cattle is being brought to the slaughterhouse. B 5000 and 30 days ban - will certainly leave a lasting mark on this man who will never ever do such a thing ever again. 

The fine for an adult smoking at Jomtien beach was how much? 

3 minutes ago, genericptr said:

{snipped}

Speaking of that, are the yellow lights shorter than average in Thailand? The amount of time they often gives forces you into a split second decision to slam of the breaks or speed through the intersection. I suspect the authorities think if the yellow is too long it will be taken advantage of but I'm not sure.

It seems to be three second in Thailand, but not sure what it may be elsewhere?

The pause between the red light appearing and the green light for the traffic in the next direction is also three seconds.

• Like 1

He run a red light, that´s a fact, and this is always wrong. He deserves his fine and suspension. On the other hand, you must give the guy some credit. He actually managed to save all the children and the car fron a probably fatal accident. I am not sure I´ve seen that from so many drivers in this country.

Should be 5000 baht fine for running red light AND a 1000 baht fine for every child he put at risk, PLUS a 6 month ban and lorry impounded. Then others may learn it is too expensive to risk it. 

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

When it changes from green to amber there's also three seconds before it turns red, when you should regard it as "stop", unless you are already passing through the junction, or "by braking might cause an accident" - IIRC.

Lie through your teeth and then say SORRY when caught and all seems to be okay, Still living in the dark ages on this one Thia Visa

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

You want to protect the kids coming and going to the school, start using these, most of them now even have seat belts for each child, even they wouldn't have a problem of fastening them also.

School Bus.jpg

• Like 1

What shade of red was it? It didn't take me long to stop and look even when I had a green light, had to put my bike down once when a Tuk Tuk driver sped up at a light, the yellow light doesn't mean hit the gas.

In the USA, I've been known to go through a "pink light" now and again. Where I live, folks take forever to get going on a green light and always come through on red lights.  But they are consistent. Best competitive driving was in New Jersey.