Why Are The International Companies So Poor At Pr

I cant help but wonder why International Companies and or foreign Chambers of Commerce are not looking at what is happening in Thailand and thinking "How do we positively portray our image as being useful to Thailand".

I could not imagine this happening in many other countries. At the moment, we are seeing a state of confusion among foreign controlled business yet little effort to actually try and influence the outcome. Lobbying with decision makers is one thing, but why is their no widespread self promotion going on.

As an indication, with some statistics from these companies you could create a very strong image for foreign controlled companies that could make people understand what benefit they provide to the average Thai person. For example, pulling together all the statistics on VAT payment by the major supermarkets could be quantified into 'what does it mean to the man on the street" - e.g the VAT that the likes of Tesco, Carrefour etc paid through to the revenue department = the cost of the entire 30 baht health care scheme - directly benefiting Thai people. International companies employ, legally with tax's paid, some XXXXX thousands of workers. Probably an interesting statistic is the list of the 100 largest companies in Thailand and how much corporate income tax they have paid in the last 3 years, much of which is whats funding the development of the country (+ of course the corruption of airports etc etc, but that aint going to change overnight).

The list is by no means exhaustive - but does it surprise anybody else that nobody is taking a leadership position on this to actually influence a change in understanding of what is happening? I know for sure that the UK without foreign money would be back down in the gutter now, yet amazingly its economy is still incredibly strong. OK for sure, they have problems, but the free market is whats driven the UK's success in the last 15 years.

I truly believe that a well thought out campaign could be very timely - not to mention useful if helping the average Thai understand what benefits can be derived from becoming open. Just a quick look at Singapore would suddenly show you the power of opening yourself up and creating an environment for foreign investment.

Am I the only one thinking like this or have I lost the plot to think it would make the slightest difference?

I truly believe that a well thought out campaign could be very timely - not to mention useful if helping the average Thai understand what benefits can be derived from becoming open. Just a quick look at Singapore would suddenly show you the power of opening yourself up and creating an environment for foreign investment.

Am I the only one thinking like this or have I lost the plot to think it would make the slightest difference?

Sure, a business PR campaign like this might work in a democratic country but Thailand is NOT a democracy right now and I have some doubts that it will ever regain it. The regime is instituting these business amendments at their own whim without any of it going to vote or public consideration. I'm pretty sure educated and informed Thai people understand that foreign investment is mostly a positive development but the powers that be will have none of it. We are dealing with a nationalistic regime that is concerned with preserving power with the old guard. They could give two sh*ts about our definition of capitalism or progress most of them are out to enrich themselves first and foremost. That's the way it is in Thailand, let the head of the pecking order fill their pockets first and then whatever bread crumbs fall along the way can be scooped up by the other poor brown hands.

First, I think big companies are focusing their efforts on taking care of their own <deleted> - it may be much easier to get some restrictions waived for one well connected company than to change the overall policy. They just need to get what others don't, just to make this or that exception, much more likely to happen in Thailand than to change the rules ot their favour.

Second, "reason" is not the dominant factor in rejecting foreigners these days, it is more emotional - fear, protectionism, nationalism. Talking directly to the public may also be intrepreted by the authorities as a threat.

I cant help but wonder why International Companies and or foreign Chambers of Commerce are not looking at what is happening in Thailand and thinking "How do we positively portray our image as being useful to Thailand".

Look it this another way and all will be revealed.

The large international companies doing business in Thailand do so within the law, many are also BOI sponsored. They do not need to demonstrate their usefulness to Thailand, they and the Thais are very happy with business done, profits made and taxes paid.

Since you mention PR, it is a general principal of PR not to get noticed unless you want to be noticed.

No international company in Thailand that is working within the law and perhaps sponsored by the Thai government is going to risk getting involved and embroiled in the gripes of Foreigners who have deliberately tried circumnavigate Thai laws.

It's a case of "Big International" followed the rules and is not effected by enforcement of the rules they followed and if Joe Bloggs tried to be too clever in his attempts to get hold of some property/business in Thailand, then that is Joe Bloggs' problem

Those internationals haven't so much as got their head in the sand as got their heads below the parapet, too busy doing their business legally to be concerned with people who took bad advice or ignored good advice.

quote]

Sure, a business PR campaign like this might work in a democratic country but Thailand is NOT a democracy right now and I have some doubts that it will ever regain it. The regime is instituting these business amendments at their own whim without any of it going to vote or public consideration. I'm pretty sure educated and informed Thai people understand that foreign investment is mostly a positive development but the powers that be will have none of it. We are dealing with a nationalistic regime that is concerned with preserving power with the old guard. They could give two sh*ts about our definition of capitalism or progress most of them are out to enrich themselves first and foremost. That's the way it is in Thailand, let the head of the pecking order fill their pockets first and then whatever bread crumbs fall along the way can be scooped up by the other poor brown hands.

Are you sure that Thailand has ever really been a democratic country? With the amount of coups, allegedly bought & rigged elections & whatever else that seems to make the country tick, please don't tell me that any of the elections I have witnessed (in the last 6 years) have ever been fair & free. I have pretty much come to the conclusion, and have to agree agree with you: almost no one in thai does anything for free, top to bottom there is always an angle: "for any form of action there must be some form of compensation".

Soundman.

It's a case of "Big International" followed the rules and is not effected by enforcement of the rules they followed and if Joe Bloggs tried to be too clever in his attempts to get hold of some property/business in Thailand, then that is Joe Bloggs' problem

Did you notice what FORD is saying? And major Japanese companies? Both small and large companies that invest / invested in Thailand are effected.