90 Day Report - With a bonus (Jomtien)

15 minutes ? 30 minutes ? 

The horror ! The HORROR !!!  ??

I like to time my visits and (generally) try to get there early in the morning when possible. Many a time they've started work, called out my number and I've been gone within about 2 minutes. Once you are in the system it is pretty slick (these days). 

So slick I almost wonder why they don't set up a window booth (maybe in that room on the left side) where people could just walk up, hand over their passport, get their new Notification and walk away. Would cut down on the number of people inside the building (sometimes). 

I've been in there on days when I'm holding #401 and the IO hasn't even got to his desk and there are people with number #446 looking for a place to sit.

Of course, by 9:30/10:00 it's almost deserted as well (some days) so maybe showing up a little later would be OK as well (but it's more of a crap shoot). On "Renewal of Extension" days, when I go back the next day (around 10ish) to get my passport I like to look at how high the 90 Day desk number is at. It is often over 60, even on "slow" (i.e. mid-week) days. 

Maybe even get a machine that works like an ATM Passbook updater. Open passport to "Face Page", insert into machine, machine scans code, spits out new Notification and passport. (Then, if there's a problem, the machine could either spit out a notice for the passport holder to go see an IO, or even "hold" the passport until it can be collected by an Officer.
If everything was working right you could roll up, scan your passport, get your new slip and be gone in less than a minute !

The tech is pretty much already in use as well ! We already have machines that can scan bankbooks and print updates in them and we already have passport scanning machines. Hmmmmmm, almost sounds like a business venture in the making.

I think I have that beat here in Lopburi.

I just renewed my 1-year visa on 03 June.  Filled out the 1-page, 2-sided form.  I never have to get a queue number or wait in line as Lopburi staff seem to think of me as a friend.  It took less time than to drink down my Iced Coffee for them to stamp my passport with the 1-year stamp, show me as reporting for 90-days, and take my picture with their webcam.  Even though the Office Captain has changed, I was treated like a VIP and they are always super friendly.  

I never have to show up in person every 90-days as they email me a copy of the 90-day reporting receipt that arrives about 2-weeks prior to the hardcopy mailed by post to arrive at my house.  

It's a once-a-year trip for me since about 2014, although my wife and I do stop in occasionally with company gifts from our Japanese business trips or Japanese food products we grow or import and distribute to the grocery chains here in Thailand.  

When I first came to Thailand in 2002, Immigration was a nightmare, nevermind the Labor Dept and Tax Depts in Bkk.  Here in Lopburi, everyone is friendly and bend over backward to make things as smooth as possible.

Just my experience, others may vary. ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

15 minutes ? 30 minutes ? 

The horror ! The HORROR !!!  ??

I like to time my visits and (generally) try to get there early in the morning when possible. Many a time they've started work, called out my number and I've been gone within about 2 minutes. Once you are in the system it is pretty slick (these days). 

So slick I almost wonder why they don't set up a window booth (maybe in that room on the left side) where people could just walk up, hand over their passport, get their new Notification and walk away. Would cut down on the number of people inside the building (sometimes). 

I've been in there on days when I'm holding #401 and the IO hasn't even got to his desk and there are people with number #446 looking for a place to sit.

Of course, by 9:30/10:00 it's almost deserted as well (some days) so maybe showing up a little later would be OK as well (but it's more of a crap shoot). On "Renewal of Extension" days, when I go back the next day (around 10ish) to get my passport I like to look at how high the 90 Day desk number is at. It is often over 60, even on "slow" (i.e. mid-week) days. 

Maybe even get a machine that works like an ATM Passbook updater. Open passport to "Face Page", insert into machine, machine scans code, spits out new Notification and passport. (Then, if there's a problem, the machine could either spit out a notice for the passport holder to go see an IO, or even "hold" the passport until it can be collected by an Officer.
If everything was working right you could roll up, scan your passport, get your new slip and be gone in less than a minute !

The tech is pretty much already in use as well ! We already have machines that can scan bankbooks and print updates in them and we already have passport scanning machines. Hmmmmmm, almost sounds like a business venture in the making.

Hello yes all very good thoughts however have you ever thought why the  online reporting does hardly ever work,? jobs for the boys....... if you fix and automate everything It will deacrease jobs... its all in the big plan my friends

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

The 2nd one will be even better....no paper at all.

Yes, and I was told a few months ago, the Residence report will also be on-line soon, once you have established a residence and no changes need to be made, you will be able to do this on-line as well.  Waiting with abated breath.

3 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Come up to the HELL called Promenada here in Chiang Mai, where they love to make life as difficult as possible.

1: Wait in the queue for maybe 30 minutes with your passport, copy of your bio page, copy of your extension page, copy of your arrival card, copy of your last 90 day report along with original. After waiting in line be greeted by an overweight bulldog chewing a wasp who now insists that she wants a copy of your original 1st ever entry extension that was transferred to your passport 3 passports ago.

Exit queue and locate copier room, wait another 10 minutes for your copy.

Back in line to the queue which has now grown in length to a 40 minute wait.

Present new photocopy to wasp chewing bulldog. Get your queue number. wait another 30 minutes or more if you are unlucky, to get called.

Sit down and wait until they can be bothered to process your report - if you watch closely you can chuckle with laughter as you see them slip your passport under everyone elses, so you are last in the queue.

Take your blood pressure medication sit tight and learn to grin and bare it! Chiang Mai Immigration, second to none in Thailand for the worst ever customer experience, and proud of their reputation. Make note AGAIN to self!  DO NOT FORGET THE DATE - MAKE YOUR APPLICATION BY POST!!!!! You never ever need to look at them again! EMS, the best 40 Baht you can spend.

I feel for ya.  That sounds like a real hellhole of a raw deal.  

I'm so lucky with Lopburi Amphur Muang staff.  I fill out the visa renewal form of 1-page, 2-sides.  I always write the complete date or my full name in the first blank by mistake and forget there are 2 more blanks for my info, so I cross it out and just fill in the other 2 blanks ... it looks messy.  Try that with ANY FORM in the US Immigration system and you will be wasting a day of your time redoing a new form.  They don't make me wait in the queue and actually stop for a second despite other applicants sitting in front of them and say, "Sawadee Ka, Dr ........", say hello to my wife, etc., and take the form from my hand if it is filled out and someone begins processing it from the time they ask me for documents and my passport.  I really do not even have enough time to drink down 1 glass of iced coffee from the outside vendor before they take my picture with the webcam and hand me my passport with envelopes and postage and send me on my way .... a few years ago, when they had a "tomboy" sargeant who loved to give me a hard time about nonsense when I was using my business visa it was annoying, but I knew the Captain of the Office, so a complaint from me to her eventually had the sargeant removed from her Lopburi post.  She asked my wife for a bribe one time and I anticipated it and had my cell phone recording it nonchalantly if I needed it.  Real A-hole of a government officer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

The 2nd one will be even better....no paper at all.

Just in case the O/P doesn't understand ... after the first report you can just get a queue ticket and hand over your passport at the 90 day report desk. No form to fill in. They'll use the barcode on the piece of paper stapled into your passport and print a new one with the new report date (or sometimes just change the date on the old one by pen) and you'll be done.

At Jomtien, especially during the low season, it can be completed in a couple of minutes if you're lucky.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Come up to the HELL called Promenada here in Chiang Mai, where they love to make life as difficult as possible.

1: Wait in the queue for maybe 30 minutes with your passport, copy of your bio page, copy of your extension page, copy of your arrival card, copy of your last 90 day report along with original. After waiting in line be greeted by an overweight bulldog chewing a wasp who now insists that she wants a copy of your original 1st ever entry extension that was transferred to your passport 3 passports ago.

Exit queue and locate copier room, wait another 10 minutes for your copy.

Back in line to the queue which has now grown in length to a 40 minute wait.

Present new photocopy to wasp chewing bulldog. Get your queue number. wait another 30 minutes or more if you are unlucky, to get called.

Sit down and wait until they can be bothered to process your report - if you watch closely you can chuckle with laughter as you see them slip your passport under everyone elses, so you are last in the queue.

Take your blood pressure medication sit tight and learn to grin and bare it! Chiang Mai Immigration, second to none in Thailand for the worst ever customer experience, and proud of their reputation. Make note AGAIN to self!  DO NOT FORGET THE DATE - MAKE YOUR APPLICATION BY POST!!!!! You never ever need to look at them again! EMS, the best 40 Baht you can spend. They would not look out of place with 6 foot bamboo poles to beat you with until you conform.

Yes I agree with you happens all the time. Now i am told there is new bulldog boss that started last week. Things are to get harder and meaner for farangs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

Yes I agree with you happens all the time. Now i am told there is new bulldog boss that started last week. Things are to get harder and meaner for farangs.

It has been the hardest and meanest for farangs for years up here - to the point of camping out in the car park at the old airport office from 1 am just to get a queue number. I shudder to think how it can get any worse than it already is.... electric cattle prods maybe?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Did even better at Koh Samui Immigration.  Had all documents and photo copies prepares and polled up to the desk.  Young Lady said, "no need", threw the paperwork in the bin and said come for your passport in 30 mins and will be ready.  Sure enough, polled up 30 minutes later and the piece of paper conforming my 90 days Report was stapled into my Passport...........job done.  Asked why she no longer needed paperwork, she said, "boss *said so".  Okay, I can go with that!

My wife just grabs my passport, sometimes takes a bike taxi (weather permitting), walks in, drops it in a basket about 15 mins she is back on the road off to her work right after that about 9-9:30.

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

It has been the hardest and meanest for farangs for years up here - to the point of camping out in the car park at the old airport office from 1 am just to get a queue number. I shudder to think how it can get any worse than it already is.... electric cattle prods maybe?

Use an agent then there is no hassle.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

If they don't steal your passport. Passport worth today?  50,000 baht?  Or give you a phony stamp.  Can you tell the difference?  You sure you want to use an agent?

How crazy! You don't use a mugger off the street. You use a properly set up agent, a proper legal company (AssisThaiVisa in Chiang Mai for example) with a track record and proper offices. I've used these guys for 7 years with only good grace and honesty. Yikes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmacken306 said:

My wife just grabs my passport, sometimes takes a bike taxi (weather permitting), walks in, drops it in a basket about 15 mins she is back on the road off to her work right after that about 9-9:30.

Why do you guys have to have someone appear in person?  My 90-day reporting slip is emailed and postal mailed to me every 90 days ... the only time I sent my wife was when I was too busy to go in person to get a Re-Entry Permit.  My wife drove all of 5 mins to the local office and it was done in 5 mins and she was back at our house within 30-45 mins, I think she said.

Quite true.  I have never heard of an agent stealing passports.  Although, I don't doubt some are stolen by dodgy street office agents.   And, 50,000 baht seems rather cheap for a first world passport.  A few years ago, a mafia friend offered me 300,000 baht for my newly renewed US Passport if I just went and reported it lost and gave it to him to work with.  I am sure he was kidding with me, since I would never consider such an offer. 

13 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Just in case the O/P doesn't understand ... after the first report you can just get a queue ticket and hand over your passport at the 90 day report desk. No form to fill in. They'll use the barcode on the piece of paper stapled into your passport and print a new one with the new report date (or sometimes just change the date on the old one by pen) and you'll be done.

At Jomtien, especially during the low season, it can be completed in a couple of minutes if you're lucky.

not at mahasarakham, i gave passport and tm47 but they wanted another paper filled out this time when i asked why she said just new everyone has to do this

What form is Chomper Higgot referring to, at Jomtien I approach front desk tell lady I want to do 90day report she give me number go inside sit and wait for number, sometimes not even have time to sit before number is called give IO passport get new 90day leave go enjoy a few coldies.

12 minutes ago, a977 said:

What form is Chomper Higgot referring to, at Jomtien I approach front desk tell lady I want to do 90day report she give me number go inside sit and wait for number, sometimes not even have time to sit before number is called give IO passport get new 90day leave go enjoy a few coldies.

It was hid first 90 day so form needed - now he is in ghe system so no need in future.

So your dream is waiting in Thai immigration to do a pointless 90 day check in? Sounds like a nightmare. If we are foreigners continue to act as if this is a good thing it will never change. All foreigners in Thailand should continually complain to their home governments and embassy about this. Yes, Thailand can do as they want because it is their country. However, it is my belief that we should petition our government for reciprocation for Thai citizens visiting our home countries. Let them do these constant address registrations and 90 day check ins and see how it feels when they go abroad. 

8 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

So your dream is waiting in Thai immigration to do a pointless 90 day check in? Sounds like a nightmare. If we are foreigners continue to act as if this is a good thing it will never change. All foreigners in Thailand should continually complain to their home governments and embassy about this. Yes, Thailand can do as they want because it is their country. However, it is my belief that we should petition our government for reciprocation for Thai citizens visiting our home countries. Let them do these constant address registrations and 90 day check ins and see how it feels when they go abroad. 

Don't know about online 90 days or mail in 90 days? 

I think (but not sure) that while you can have others do the 90 days for you, they do want to see your face once in a while, maybe every 3rd visit or something.  There's probably a lot of latitude though, as I've been there with my wife several  times and they know our faces as an item, and usually just about to pick up the form and they'll say there's no need, just take a seat, and we're out of there in a couple of minutes (Udon).

Edited by Shiver

11 hours ago, jewell49 said:

not at mahasarakham, i gave passport and tm47 but they wanted another paper filled out this time when i asked why she said just new everyone has to do this

We were talking about Jomtien. At Jomtien the application form is only required the first time. A few years ago, before they were set up to read the barcodes on the paper they stick in the passport, you had to fill out the application every time. Hasn't been necessary for several years.

Awhile ago there was a form they asked people to sign once, I think to do with acknowledging the penalties for overstay, but nothing like that at Jomtien recently.

We were talking about Jomtien. At Jomtien the application form is only required the first time. A few years ago, before they were set up to read the barcodes on the paper they stick in the passport, you had to fill out the application every time. Hasn't been necessary for several years.

Awhile ago there was a form they asked people to sign once, I think to do with acknowledging the penalties for overstay, but nothing like that at Jomtien recently.

Had to do that extra form on penalties when renewing extension last 2-3 times but never on 90 days.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Wish all the bitching would stop re the Thai I Offices.
Try the UK I Offices!!!
My wife was with me for 10 years in Glasgow before we moved over here.
You gotta jump thro so many hoops its unbelievable..and the yellow pages like p/work to be done etc etc
Your house keys..car keys..money etc etc to be handed yo security eho put all your stuff in a small locker and give tou the PLASTIC key.
Stop bitching please.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orac said:

Had to do that extra form on penalties when renewing extension last 2-3 times but never on 90 days.

There was some form they asked you to sign ... maybe a couple of years ago ... when doing the 90 day report. It was something the officers weren't enthused about. After you signed, they threw it in a pile with some contempt.

Maybe that was the thing where you were supposed to list your social media accounts and some other information about bank accounts. You pretty much could write in anything or leave most things blank. They didn't bother to look at it and nothing ever came of it.

Edited by Suradit69

There was some form they asked you to sign ... maybe a couple of years ago ... when doing the 90 day report. It was something the officers weren't enthused about. After you signed, they threw it in a pile with some contempt.

Maybe that was the thing where you were supposed to list your social media accounts and some other information about bank accounts.

I do remember a lot of talk on that but, fortunately, it came in just after one report and had been abandoned by the time my next was due.