Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment' - Trump

rooster59

Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment' - Trump

By Roberta Rampton

800x800 (6).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks as he departs from the G7 summit in the Charlevoix city of La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada, June 9, 2018. REUTERS/Yves Herman

LA MALBAIE, Quebec (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday any agreement with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at next week's summit would be "spur of the moment," underscoring the uncertain outcome of what he called a "mission of peace."

"I have a clear objective, but I have to say - it's going to be something that will always be spur of the moment," Trump told reporters at a news conference at the G7 summit in Quebec. "You don't know. This has not been done before at this level."

The main issue for the June 12 summit in Singapore, which he departed for before the end of the G7 meeting, is the U.S. demand for North Korea to abandon a nuclear weapons program that now threatens the United States.

Trump said it would probably take time to reach an agreement with Kim on denuclearization, but at a minimum he believed the summit could produce a "relationship" between the United States and North Korea, which do not have diplomatic ties.

At a news conference with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Thursday, Trump said he might extend an invitation to Kim to visit Washington. Pyongyang has rejected giving up its arsenal unilaterally and defends its nuclear and missile programs as a deterrent against what it sees as U.S. aggression.

The United States stations 28,500 troops in South Korea, a legacy of the Korean War. Trump has held out the possibility of striking an accord with Kim that would formally end the 1950-53 Korean War, which was concluded with a truce, and not a peace treaty.

Trump on Saturday said he would know within a minute whether something good would come out of the summit.

"I think within the first minute I'll know. Just my touch, my feel. That's what I do," Trump said. "And if I think it won't happen - I'm not going to waste my time. I don't want to waste his time."

Trump frequently has boasted of his negotiating prowess as a real estate developer, and his ability to read people, even though his businesses have declared multiple bankruptcies.

The U.S. leader was overall optimistic about the summit with Kim.

A rare direct flight from Pyongyang landed in Singapore on Saturday ahead of the expected arrival of Kim. The Air China Airbus 330 flight at Changi airport raised speculation that a delegation of North Korean officials joined an advance team headed by Kim's close aide, Kim Chang Son, who was in Singapore to prepare for the talks.

Kim is expected to arrive at Changi airport on Sunday, a source involved in the planning of the trip told Reuters on Friday.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-10

Pompeo's so worried his testicles might pop out his mouth? Here's hoping Andrew Kim isn't a double-agent.

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

I'll bet the farm that nothing will come of this. 

This would be ideal, or at least a commitment to continue discussions. That said, Trump needs a "win", so expect him to do whatever Kim (not Kardashian) wants.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Sadly, I believe him when he says an agreement might be a 'spur of the moment' thing.

Respectfully, international agreements regarding nuclear weapons are not "spur of the moment' issues, but rather far, far more serious than a heart attack.

There will be no intention of coming to agreements and signing things at this meeting .

This will just be a meeting to shake hands and pave the way for further meetings , where the serious issues can be discussed 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

There will be no intention of coming to agreements and signing things at this meeting .

This will just be a meeting to shake hands and pave the way for further meetings , where the serious issues can be discussed 

So, okey! We do not need to take this seriously, then? Is that what you mean?
Why then so much talk about it, and why does your idol have to act like a clown wherever he goes and whatever he says?

Never mind what you quote on this, I will only take that as an unknowing and unthoughtful one.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Got that right. 

If the meeting (s) go well in Singapore, Trump intends to invite Kim to Washington where further work can evolve. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Why then so much talk about it, and why does your idol have to act like a clown wherever he goes and whatever he says?

Never mind what you quote on this, I will only take that as an unknowing and unthoughtful one.

Anything is possible at this "great" meeting. It will be subject to gross misinterpretation because of the difficulty the translators will have interpreting the Trump vernacular. Not only must they deal with the street punk language but the Trump repetition as well.

I see enough translation errors when messaging with my Thai friends. This will be a challenge !

• Haha 1

Just now, Get Real said:

Will you please stop calling him "my idol" ?

You seem to converse in a confrontational way, little digs in a condescending way , without any intelligent  points raised .

I have stated quite clearly what I mean : This is a meeting of two adversaries , meeting to see whether they have any grounds for further meetings and what those meetings will be about .

28 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Got that right. 

If the meeting (s) go well in Singapore, Trump intends to invite Kim to Washington where further work can evolve. 

Yes, for example if NK were to make the offer to Trump :*We would like to make peace with South Korea , stop making nukes , allow weapons inspectors in , open diplomatic relations with the world and in turn would you agree to lift sanctions and help rebuild North Korea *

Of course Trump will not be able to agree on everything there and then .

He will go and speak with the U.N. , South Korea , China and Japan , the E.U and also his advisers and discuss how to proceed and draw up plans for future talks where each issue will individually be discussed with the relevant other people involved. 

Edited by sanemax
typo

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, for example if NK were to make the offer to Trump :*We would like to make peace with South Korea , stop making nukes , allow weapons inspectors in , open diplomatic relations with the world and in turn would you agree to lift sanctions and help rebuild North Korea *

He will go and speak with the U.N. , South Korea , China and Japan , the E.U and also his advisers and discuss how to proceed and draw up plans for future talks where each issue will individually be discussed with the relevant other people involved. 

It would be nice if that is the way it would happen. But Trump sees himself as the autocratic, unilateral deal maker. He may very well make a deal, one that he can't keep. That will just add to the already, well-founded mistrust of his word.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neeray said:

It would be nice if that is the way it would happen. But Trump sees himself as the autocratic, unilateral deal maker. He may very well make a deal, one that he can't keep. That will just add to the already, well-founded mistrust of his word.

They have not even had a meeting yet to discuss any deals , let alone agreed upon and deals and yet even now , you are saying that Trump will not keep the deals made !!!!!!!!

Why not wait until any deal has been made ?

What ever Donald does , the anti Trump brigade will look for any possible negatives and pour  scorn on the outcome .

It wont be long before the anti-Trump brigade  critisise Trump for meeting with a "fascist dictator"

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They have not even had a meeting yet to discuss any deals , let alone agreed upon and deals and yet even now , you are saying that Trump will not keep the deals made !!!!!!!!

What ever Donald does , the anti Trump brigade will look for any possible negatives and pour  scorn on the outcome .

It wont be long before the anti-Trump brigade  critisise Trump for meeting with a "fascist dictator"

"Why not wait until any deal has been made ?"

Because the possibility of a deal is being discussed now, as per the title of this thread.

"yet even now , you are saying that Trump will not keep the deals made !!!!!!!!"

His short 15 months of flip flopping do not bode well for his word or credibility.

And yes, I am a proud member of the anti-Trump brigade.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Will you please stop calling him "my idol" ?

You seem to converse in a confrontational way, little digs in a condescending way , without any intelligent  points raised .

I have stated quite clearly what I mean : This is a meeting of two adversaries , meeting to see whether they have any grounds for further meetings and what those meetings will be about .

Yep, I will stop calling him "your idol" when you stop glorify  a maniac. As before when you give him credit for everything that moves forward, and shield him from all his mindblowing incompetence.
I guess that will never happen, huh?

11 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I'll bet the farm that nothing will come of this. 

They will play the game until they get what they want and then renege...never fails, they're batting 1000. 

At best, this will be nothing but a bombastic photo opp!

for both the leaders

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Why not wait until any deal has been made ?

Mr. bone spur off the moment, has backtracked on many issues already. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Does anyone believe that Kim Jog Un will give up his nuclear weapons under any circumstances? 

47 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Does anyone believe that Kim Jog Un will give up his nuclear weapons under any circumstances? 

Does he actually have them ?

It was suggested that there was an unintentional  underground explosion at their nuke making factory that wiped out his nuke making facility and that China was furious because it was so close to their border .

China may have withdrew their backing of NK(in the event of a war with the USA) which has forced NK to seek peace 

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Does he actually have them ?

It was suggested that there was an unintentional  underground explosion at their nuke making factory that wiped out his nuke making facility and that China was furious because it was so close to their border .

China may have withdrew their backing of NK(in the event of a war with the USA) which has forced NK to seek peace 

North Korea has definitely tested nuclear weapons, and its unlikely it used all its weapons in tests.  China has many reasons to be angry with North Korea, but that doesn't mean it would allow the US military or a prosperous democracy led by South Korea on its border. 

Millions of lives across east Asia are at risk in the event of a nuclear war on the Korean peninsula, with hundreds of thousands of US lives among them.  Negotiations and any agreements reached need to be based on hard facts, not speculation.  Unfortunately Trump hasn't shown any interest in learning the facts.

• Like 2

No one, not even Trump, expects to necessarily close a deal with Kim in a few hours of meetings.  What is hopeful is that some form of commitment can be made by both sides to continue to pursue an agreement which just might result in denuclearization and peace on the peninsula.  At least the old cadre of idiots in the State Department did not dissuade Trump from at least meeting with Kim face to face. Like it or not dictators of communist regimes have never abided by agreements. Trump is not going sit around in meetings playing the game diplomats play.  He a  "sh*t or get of the pot" kind of guy.  Maybe that's what is needed.  There will be nothing lost if the meeting doesn't work so why all the negativity from the anti-Trump brigade. It's quite obvious that too many of the anti-Trump brigade want this to fail.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1