Thailand Has Just 1.7% In Foreign Investment/share Holding

Topic says it all.

LaoPo, I'm surprised that you didn't go further...

The report says : total 832 043 establishements, with 102 341 Ltd and public companies (12.3 % of the total)

So, what's the point to speak about "foreign shareholdings" for the 82.5 % of "establishements" that are "individual proprietor" ?

So to say, like the report does : "Considering the foreign investment or share holding, most of establishments (about 98.3 percent) had no foreign investment or share holding. About 1.7 percent did." is a pure joke. And a pathetic way to hide an embarrassing reality....

The real question, the real statistic that the gvt should reveal is : what is the percentage of foreign shareholding in the 102 341 Ltd and public companies in Thailand ?

There is a big mistake in the way you read the data here. To affirm that only 1.7% of establishments have foreign investment means nothing. Of course small establishments like the Thai food sellers or cheap garment shops have no foreign investment. But BIG industries like Kang Yong Electrical (Mitsubishi fridge manufacturer in Thailand) have significant foreign share holding.

http://www.mitsubishi-kye.com/Indexen.asp

LaoPo, I'm surprised that you didn't go further...

The report says : total 832 043 establishements, with 102 341 Ltd and public companies (12.3 % of the total)

So, what's the point to speak about "foreign shareholdings" for the 82.5 % of "establishements" that are "individual proprietor" ?

So to say, like the report does : "Considering the foreign investment or share holding, most of establishments (about 98.3 percent) had no foreign investment or share holding. About 1.7 percent did." is a pure joke. And a pathetic way to hide an embarrassing reality....

The real question, the real statistic that the gvt should reveal is : what is the percentage of foreign shareholding in the 102 341 Ltd and public companies in Thailand ?

I did go further but the report is 18 pages long (that's why I posted the link) and I ran into it by pure coincidence since I was searching for something else.

I thought it to be of some interest since the government has been 'creating' a lot of laws lately (30% law, 50/50 shareholders law etc. etc.) and 'foreign investment is under pressure (see report by the Japanese and 'Ford' talking to the topbosses of LOS.).

The question in your last sentence is answered on page 3 under 5) of the link if that's what you mean.

Note: the report was a survey in 2005; apart from that I agree with you/previous posters....it's just a -Thai- government report.

LaoPo

The question in your last sentence is answered on page 3 under 5) of the link if that's what you mean.

I can't see it.

It's just the graphic with the 1.7 % figure.

My question was wrongly formulated : on the 102 000 Ltd and public companies in Thailand, how many of them have foreign shareholders.

I can't see it.

It's just the graphic with the 1.7 % figure.

My question was wrongly formulated : on the 102 000 Ltd and public companies in Thailand, how many of them have foreign shareholders.

It says:

" 1.7 % did -have foreign investment or shareholders- (= 14.144 establishments) of which 77,1% (=10.905) had over ten percent inv/shareholders and 22,9 percent (=3.239) had ten percent or lower inv./shareholders. "

LaoPo