Parking Space/garden

naomisri

When we bought our houses there was gravel all around and under them. They were built by a Thai couple who paid the least possible to build some rental properies that would bring in a little cash. So the cheapest way to create a level ground around them was to chuck boatloads of gravel under/around them. We decided to try and get rid of the gravel around one house and succeeded only to find tons of cement which we also dug up and got rid of. So now we're left with sand and under that earth. We dug in some flowerbeds and finished them with a border, but now we have a soft sandy square area in the middle and a hump just as you turn into the driveway where the garden water supply pipe runs from the well through the drive of each house. This is a picture of the other house which looks like the "pre-gravel" state of the one I'm talking about IYKWIM. I don't have a picture of the "after gravel" state on the laptop, but I can take one if neccessary!

IntheGarden050-1.jpg

So to get to the point, we want to finish the area so that it can be used as either a driveway or somewhere to put an outdoor table and chairs for example. Our main problems are

a) What do we do about the water pipe? If we pour concrete on the area to make a driveway (not exactly very attractive unless we finish the cement), can we pour over the blue plastic water pipe? - I'm thinking no. BTW I'm not doing this myself, it will be done by someone who actually knows what they're doing, but I need to know what they're doing too!!

:D What are our other options as to coverings. I can only think of some kind of slab (not sure if this is strong enough for a car to drive up onto) or the cement lattice blocks (sorry I don't know the correct terminology!) which wouldn't be too great for chair legs, grass which I fear would get waterlogged and then pulled up with a car or motorbike driving on it.

I'm not sure where to go on this one. Thanks for being patient with me, I'm quite good at inside things and garden things, but lost when it comes to structural stuff. :o

How about setting the pipe in a formed concrete channel so that it can be maintained (ie re threaded through to the house if there is a leak in the future.

See below.

One comment on gravel, it is an excellent deterent to people who might want to sneak around the outside of your house on a moonless night.

Suggestion.pdf

One comment on gravel, it is an excellent deterent to people who might want to sneak around the outside of your house on a moonless night.

Good point guesthouse. We have actually left the back, sides and under the house gravelled and just changed the front garden/driveway area plus we have a dog who doesn't miss a trick. I have to admit, I quite like being able to hear people approaching on foot though, saves getting caught in a compromising position!

Have you thought about sinking the water pipe?

Plumbing fittings don't cost much. Dig a ditch to expose the pipe.

Cut the pipe some distance either side of the planned driveway, dig a trench to the depth you want to place the pipe.

Fit two right angle bends at each end of the pipe that was removed, making adjustments for the length so that it can be glued back into place. See diagram below.

If you have not messed with plastic pipes before, then maybe get a local plumber to do the job.

I agree the brick paving is a cheap and easy way to make a nice driveway.

Just make sure the sand base is compacted first and levelled properly otherwise the paving can sink in some places leaving

hollows that catch rain water. A slightly rounded profile is best, like a roadway, to allow run-off in heavy rain but it's not essential. It depends on the skill of your brick paving man.

post-18347-1170329502_thumb.jpg

There's a restaurant down the road from us that just put in some parking space and I think it looks really good. I drove down today to take some pictures for you. The concrete slabs are about 30cm wide by about 80-90cm long. Since you are adept at gardening this may work for you and the sand you have will make a good base for the grass. Just throw some good dirt on top.

Here's the pics.

rgds

I've heard of underground but not ontheground..

You want to bury the water pipe.

Plan a little, make it nice & right the first time. How about a creative pattern? Use curves and leave room for planting beds.

Get the slope set and pour a concrete curb around the outside. You want to contain the base/sand layer to prevent it from collapsing.

Fill with sand, compact, lay the bricks, sprinkle on sand sand and sweep it around to fill the cracks.

A good idea is to put some PVC sleeve under the area to run wires, sprinklers, cable etc. in the future.