Accident & insurance

JaiLai

Insurance is simple really ...

Get First Class when possible. Then your insurance company pays to fix your ride, and they chase the other company for the $$$

Have vintage - get Agreed Value

Car/bike too old for first class, get Second Class Plus - good for 15 year old vehicles. All you do not have is collision, fix it yourself but they cover the other people and vehicles and property damage to term specified in your policy.

Or live in some Never Never land - 'Oh, it will never happen to me !'

And then come crying when it all goes pear shaped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Insurance is simple really ...

Get First Class when possible. Then your insurance company pays to fix your ride, and they chase the other company for the $$$

Have vintage - get Agreed Value

Car/bike too old for first class, get Second Class Plus - good for 15 year old vehicles. All you do not have is collision, fix it yourself but they cover the other people and vehicles and property damage to term specified in your policy.

Or live in some Never Never land - 'Oh, it will never happen to me !'

And then come crying when it all goes pear shaped.

You make it sound so easy, very seldom are things as straight forward as what you suggest.

In the real world yes, here.......well i think anyone who has lived here long enough or dealt with the bureaucracy knows otherwise.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Were each one of your claims completely straight forward?

At that, i would be surprised....

2 in the car, one on the HD

Neither my fault.

Excellent service from insurance company and police.

Minor payments by myself in all 3.

Shock and Awe !

• Like 1

What insurance company do you recommend? I need a new auto coverage.  I just had a bad experience with 1st class MSIG auto insurance. 

They are all just super duper service when they are signing you up and taking your money.  But when it comes to a claim is when they show their true colors. 
What was your experience? I use MSIG, in fact i went to 3 brokers and they all recommended MSIG, will be interesting to hear what they can be like if claiming

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Just make sure that the quotation includes all import duties and shipping. That can make the price grow by 50%+ easily.

If you have first class insurance, I'd also talk to them. They could pay for it and then run after the other guys insurance to recover the costs.

This happened to me in my car.  The other driver was not insured.  Police were involved and it was the job of my insurance company to pay for the damage and retrieve all costs from the uninsured driver.

Just to add.  I've had 6 insurance claims or thereabouts in my 15 years here.  3 or 4 in the car, and 3 on the bike.  One of which was my fault on the bike.

All claims have been smooth and to what I'd expect back in the UK.  I had 2 Thais try to blame me but my insurance company had none of it.

When I was at fault, I clipped the rear of a BMW cracking his light.  I waved him down despite him not noticing.  He never made a claim funnily enough.  No claims on my part as yet.  Result!

Always 1st class.

Edited by BBJ

52 minutes ago, BBJ said:

Just to add.  I've had 6 insurance claims or thereabouts in my 15 years here.  3 or 4 in the car, and 3 on the bike.  One of which was my fault on the bike.

All claims have been smooth and to what I'd expect back in the UK.  I had 2 Thais try to blame me but my insurance company had none of it.

When I was at fault, I clipped the rear of a BMW cracking his light.  I waved him down despite him not noticing.  He never made a claim funnily enough.  No claims on my part as yet.  Result!

Always 1st class.

Wow this pretty much matches my history with insurance in Thailand as well. About one claim every 2-3 years and also only once was it my fault and I also cracked a tail light of a car, minimal damage. In all instances was it pretty easy to deal with the insurance companies, no funny games. Same with travel insurance btw, my GF had to make a claim recently and it went extremely smooth after providing all required documents. So far, I had pretty good experience with insurance companies here.

19 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Do you have 2.4 children too?

No I have 7 and none of them would be stupid enough to by a Vespa in Thailand without being fully insured for it's replacement or repairs..

People arguing for the sake of arguing.

They know they pulled a boner, but refuse to accept this.

Provide the answer and they still do not get it.

Want their hand held, pat on the head saying 'Don't Worry, everything will be Alright'

Same rules here as in the West - expect not much change in behavior since the move.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
On 6/15/2018 at 6:09 AM, drtreelove said:
What insurance company do you recommend? I need a new auto coverage.  I just had a bad experience with 1st class MSIG auto insurance. 

They are all just super duper service when they are signing you up and taking your money.  But when it comes to a claim is when they show their true colors. 

What was your experience? I use MSIG, in fact i went to 3 brokers and they all recommended MSIG, will be interesting to hear what they can be like if claiming

I'm not sure that broker recommendations are all about best interests of the insured. I'm sure that the broker business interests and the deal that they get on sales commissions is part of it.  I asked AA Insurance, who I have always been happy with for communications and enrollment transactions, for recommendation for 1st class auto. I specified that low price was not a priority, but good claims service was what I was interested in.  They recommended MSIG.  

I've been the victim of a few fender benders, but never been at fault in over 50 years of driving, ambulances, taxi, dump trucks, motorcycles, cars and pickups. But a few weeks ago I had a teenage hot shot speeding, weaving motorcycle lose control and go down in the lane next to me. It looked real bad, end overs, parts and 2 bodies flying. There was absolutely no impact with my car, no contact or even close.   I pulled over to help, because its in my blood to do so, I'm a former paramedic and I help if I can no matter the risks. I've always been very lucky. 

Well to make a long story short, I got blamed, I guess because I was guilty of being a white foreigner. MSIG rep (who was not even an MSIG employee, but a contract accident reporter), didn't show up for 1.5 hours, and then it appeared that he was inexperienced and couldn't care less about having my back or reducing loss for the company.  I could go on about my disappointment with their whole attitude, failure to negotiate on my behalf, but I'll just say that I had to fork out 15,000 baht out of pocket to make it go away and not get complicated and expensive with court case. Yes they told me that if they lost the case I would have to pay all the costs. 

That's just my one time experience; they may be very good in other situations for other insured persons. Maybe it was just an unusual stroke of bad luck for me, wrong time wrong place, or maybe it was good luck to find out where I stand and who I can rely on.  Our daughter's finance's family is prominent in the community and knew the police; they had my back and cut my losses when MSIG didn't, they cut their own loss.  Anyway it could have been worse, if there was actually an impact with my car, or if someone died. They weren't hurt that bad, 500 baht fine for underage no license. Maybe I should have kept on driving, maybe I will next time. 

I'm not sure that broker recommendations are all about best interests of the insured. I'm sure that the broker business interests and the deal that they get on sales commissions is part of it.  I asked AA Insurance, who I have always been happy with for communications and enrollment transactions, for recommendation for 1st class auto. I specified that low price was not a priority, but good claims service was what I was interested in.  They recommended MSIG.  
I've been the victim of a few fender benders, but never been at fault in over 50 years of driving, ambulances, taxi, dump trucks, motorcycles, cars and pickups. But a few weeks ago I had a teenage hot shot speeding, weaving motorcycle lose control and go down in the lane next to me. It looked real bad, end overs, parts and 2 bodies flying. There was absolutely no impact with my car, no contact or even close.   I pulled over to help, because its in my blood to do so, I'm a former paramedic and I help if I can no matter the risks. I've always been very lucky. 
Well to make a long story short, I got blamed, I guess because I was guilty of being a white foreigner. MSIG rep (who was not even an MSIG employee, but a contract accident reporter), didn't show up for 1.5 hours, and then it appeared that he was inexperienced and couldn't care less about having my back or reducing loss for the company.  I could go on about my disappointment with their whole attitude, failure to negotiate on my behalf, but I'll just say that I had to fork out 15,000 baht out of pocket to make it go away and not get complicated and expensive with court case. Yes they told me that if they lost the case I would have to pay all the costs. 
That's just my one time experience; they may be very good in other situations for other insured persons. Maybe it was just an unusual stroke of bad luck for me, wrong time wrong place, or maybe it was good luck to find out where I stand and who I can rely on.  Our daughter's finance's family is prominent in the community and knew the police; they had my back and cut my losses when MSIG didn't, they cut their own loss.  Anyway it could have been worse, if there was actually an impact with my car, or if someone died. They weren't hurt that bad, 500 baht fine for underage no license. Maybe I should have kept on driving, maybe I will next time. 
Thanks for the info. Maybe next time stop the car well away from the accident so you can't get blamed? A lot of BMs on here wouldn't help I'm sure but I'm glad there are still people around who would

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, canthai55 said:

Now I ask - who is the genius ?

So for anyone that is not insured first class and is involved in a accident that is not their fault, I can tell you that you can get 100% payment for your claim. 

As I said before initially I was offered 50% and refused to accepted that T.I.T and you have to take what they offer. Or  if you don't have 1st class insurance, then its your own fault..... (BS some people spout)

As long as you have the police report that states that the other party was at fault then take your case to Office of Insurance Commission in Bangkok (OIC). They are there help the people that insurance companies try to cheat and their services are completely free...yes free!

Further more because I was out of the country and I asked my girl friend to go in my behalf, this was easily done by signing a permission document to do so. Its in Thai so I don't know the name is but it looks the same as the document you sign to change names on Green/ Blue  books when you buy/sell vehicles. So you don't necessarily have to be Thai either to use this service.

Just go to the OIC office, they will give you an appointment to return for a meeting (1 week later) with the advisor and a representative of the insurance company. The matter was resolved there and then and the insurance company guy agreed they would pay 100% he was from the Bangkok branch not the Chonburi City Branch the claim was initially filed with . The original  guy that dealt with my claim (Chonburi City Branch) also said they pay 100 per day for bike rental during repairs but not longer than 2 weeks and they pay after, this was also untrue. The other day the BKK insurance branch called to say they asked the repair shop how long it would take, which is about 30-45 days so they paid 4,500baht also.

Hope this info will be useful to anyone else, ending up with a similar situation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Insurance is so cheap here one wonders how folks without No 1 cover get a Visa to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Can't get class 1 cover on some vehicles only partial additional voluntary cover along with CTPL. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Can't get class 1 cover on some vehicles only partial additional voluntary cover along with CTPL. 

Yes thats a bit annoying when you have looked after something for years admittedly.Cant see much logic in that,  for example the Fortuna / VigoTrucks,are still the same as our first 850 K Tuna about 16 +? years ago, all de bits fit.

6 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Yes thats a bit annoying when you have looked after something for years admittedly.Cant see much logic in that,  for example the Fortuna / VigoTrucks,are still the same as our first 850 K Tuna about 16 +? years ago, all de bits fit.

Maybe you can negotiate as in a classic vehicle with an insurance company, never tried.