Signature campaign for convenience stores and malls to charge for plastic bags

webfact

Signature campaign for convenience stores and malls to charge for plastic bags

By Thai PBS

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6GwPn7pXEliBdnoIfS9fvcWI

A campaign is being launched in the social media through change.org web page to demand major convenience stores to charge their customers for the single-use plastic bags in a bid to cut back plastic trash.

So far, 5,000 netizens have signed up the campaign to urge 7-Eleven, Lotus, Big C convenience stores and major shopping malls like Central and The Mall groups to charge their customers for the use of plastic bags.

Mr Korawit Buranakit, one of the initiators of the campaign, said Thursday that Thailand ranks the world’s Number 6 country for releasing plastic trash into the sea, posing a serious threat to marine lives and the environment.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/signature-campaign-launched-convenience-stores-malls-charge-plastic-bags-customers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-15
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember when Tesco tried eliminating giving bags? It resulted in less business, so they reverted back. They won't be making that same mistake again. Thais love their free bags. 

Edited by inThailand
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Go for total ban, why struggle with a step appraoch which will incur many problems, just go for the total ban, other countries have made it work.

The biggest producers of plastic bags here are so filthy rich, they can afford to fill a couple of them and leave them at the doors of those who are in charge to decide about a total ban. In return they will probably get a contract to supply to the production of plastic bank notes...

• Like 2

All sellers not just the big boys....and make the procedure simple....all bags regardless of size one charge price...don't have some complex rate system for different types/sizes of bags....make it simple...

I carry a cloth bag in my car and a backpack on my bike whenever shopping....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyBKK said:

Since I came to Thailand I waste more and more plastic, I get plastic bags everywhere, even for a straw.

7/11 even slipped a straw into my bag on a 2 litre milk purchase. Still shaking my head. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:07 AM, grumbleweed said:

Great idea, it worked in the UK. Resulted in over 80% reduction in the use of them.

Alternatively, put a picture of Prayuth's stupefied smirk on them. Personally I'd rather walk around with a pair of the vicar's Y-fronts over my head

Photo, please ! :cheesy:

• Haha 2

It is a good start. 

A very modest charge for the plastic is reasonable.

However, by itself, it is not enough.

There are agricultural products out there that are biodegradable and recycle beautifully with nature.

One of those agricultural products is the multi-beneficial plant known as cannabis. ?

Prayut, the junta will benefit Thailand in many ways by making cannabis a root agricultural crop along with rice.

Brother, let's get it done .... 

cannabis and pic of President Trump.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Good first start.....

image.jpeg.56a702d751eec4164b05174510e9ddfd.jpeg

Yes, a first start, how about getting the Customers of street vendors to dispose of their plastic bags, drinks etc in garbage cans! Daily my walk of 3 blocks to Big C, I could fill a Big C plastic bag with plastic bags, cups etc and they aren't always the same bag from yesterday, unless it's the one someone stuffed in the bushes or next to the ATM and we have a few people who pickup trash at night on the sidewalk but not in the parking lots.....

2 hours ago, JohnnyBKK said:

Since I came to Thailand I waste more and more plastic, I get plastic bags everywhere, even for a straw.

The process starts with educating the check out person who seems so happy to wrap every small item in a plastic bag, what normally could fit into 2 bags you struggle to grip 7 bags as you leave the supermarket.

• Like 1

one of the ebst things to do in thailand, was investing in plasticbags

Tantawan industries ( THIP) jumped from less than 2 thb  to 37thb per share (plus heavy dividends each year and  bonusshares )over 10year period

and than look at waste and enviromental sector , shares all in loos or dead

from Genco to Pro waste ... and more, the absolute underperforming sector, over the last 10 year

tell me if there a change come ......... 

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Makro don't give plastic bags (or any type) for as long as I've been going there?

I'd guess this is a commercial rather than an environmental decision but let's give them credit anyway.

If CP Group can operate this way with Makro, why can't they do the same at 7-Eleven, probably the worst provider of unnecessary plastic in Thailand. Spoons, straws, bags in bags in bags. 

Homepro are at least making an effort. They ask if you want a bag and if you don't you get bonus points on your card.

• Like 1

Charging for plastic bags will not reduce the usage.. people are so lazy they will just pay the extra.

Making the super market chain stores, vendors etc etc switch to a bio-degradable alternative would be a better solution...

Putting pressure on the plastic bag manufacturers to switch to new products would also be beneficial!

Getting rid of plastic is the future, not charging for it!!

• Like 2

Many ''plastic'' bags from supermarkets are actually made from casava and other organic stuff.  This should be made very clear on the bag and then people will choose the GOOD bag which is completely degradable.  But maybe there is an interim dangerous phase when these bags can cause pollution. I believe the green bag from Bic C and the Orange bag from Rim Ping are OK.  True or not?

• Like 1