The best place to visit Thailand?

MrPieElsa

Ah, for the good old days. There once was not a better place than the Bunny House, upstairs over Max's on Patpong. However, those days are long gone, so you have to put up with plastic wannabes. Plenty of those around though.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:44 AM, Kurtf said:

The best place I visited in my 6+ years living in Thailand was the train ride from Bangkok to the Bridge over the river Kwai and the cemetery nearby. It is really humbling to see so many young men having died to build that bridge and railway. And plus the all day round trip only costs less than $10. Best bargain in Thailand.

Why give price in $'s....everybody is not from America...anyway, do they not use Thai Baht in Thailand

9 minutes ago, Oxx said:

They didn't build "that bridge".  What you now see is a reconstruction.

To see what they really did, with original track, you need to go to the Hellfire Pass Museum which is a truly sobering experience.

I stand to be corrected, but ! The first attempt at building a wooden bridge is a few hundred meters down stream. The current bridge is the original. It has had a couple of spans replaced due to the bombing damage.

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

That bridge is short and boring. Total tourist trap.

Some members on TV are short & boring. Why a tourist trap. It's about the history.

But hey, just my opinion.

Just now, malt25 said:

Ok, I bow to your superior knowledge. Now hop back up on your bar stool. There's a good boy.

What bar stool? Don't get upset because not everyone likes small metal bridges.

It will be ok.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:41 PM, smotherb said:

Ah, for the good old days. There once was not a better place than the Bunny House, upstairs over Max's on Patpong. However, those days are long gone, so you have to put up with plastic wannabes. Plenty of those around though.

You can always visit a new car showroom...

1 hour ago, toenail said:

Unfortunately, some members on this post do not care about history or culture. They just as well visit a local “bunny house” back home. 

National Museum in Bangkok is good. More worthwhile than a tiny bridge.

This question crops up regularly on ThaiVisa. My answer is - forget about culture, forget about tradition, forget about ceremonies, forget about history here, it is almost all ersatz, manufactured and reimagined to keep the tourists coming in ever-increasing numbers. By and large, Thais have little sense of their own history beyond what is fed them in school to maintain the status quo. Nor do they much question such accepted wisdom.

There do still remain some positives, however: there are still some largely unspoilt islands and national parks; I would try these - though rampant local mafias, encroachment by influential people and a corrupt police force contribute to the despoilment of the country in many cases. Away from the most venal tourist areas, the Thai people, while perhaps having lost some of their former jollity and sabai sabai attitude, are still friendly, smiling people on the whole, but in my opinion four years of military dictatorship has not brought 'happiness to the people' as was the stated justification for the 2014 coup; rather the reverse.

5 hours ago, Justfine said:

That bridge is short and boring. Total tourist trap.

Whilst I would agree - the bridge is not original - a visit to the small museum at the hellfire pass ( built by the Australians) is quite sobering.

Also the commonwealth cemetery- laid out as all commonwealth cemeteries with beautiful Portland stone.

Perhaps if you are not a citizen of one of the countries whose fellow countrymen died - then it does not mean too much. Also many many thousands of more local workers died .

I hope your comment was just a bit of click bait - otherwise a trifle lacking in humanity .

Back to the OP - difficult to understand - elephants and women? Pattaya of course has both in abundance .

Chang Mai also - nicer scenery , elephant trekking etc 

5 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Whilst I would agree - the bridge is not original - a visit to the small museum at the hellfire pass ( built by the Australians) is quite sobering.

Also the commonwealth cemetery- laid out as all commonwealth cemeteries with beautiful Portland stone.

Perhaps if you are not a citizen of one of the countries whose fellow countrymen died - then it does not mean too much. Also many many thousands of more local workers died .

I hope your comment was just a bit of click bait - otherwise a trifle lacking in humanity .

Back to the OP - difficult to understand - elephants and women? Pattaya of course has both in abundance .

Chang Mai also - nicer scenery , elephant trekking etc 

Nothing to do with humanity. Most Thais could careless about the bridge.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

National Museum in Bangkok is good. More worthwhile than a tiny bridge.

I think you have overlooked the holistic aspect of 'the bridge' and focused on the symbolism...

• Haha 1