VAR catastrophe

smokie36

6 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

still going for breaks .sweet heart!!!. and btw a incident in the box a few mins later in the soccer roos favour again was not var .where it should have been .theres your problem sweet heart.its a hit and miss  affair

"sweet heart"!!  bet you say that all the guys

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

The ref has the last word. He went and watched it and gave it. So it was the ref's decision not VAR. They only recommend he review it. Penalties for handball are always iffy. I remember earlier in the season when Sterling had his arms behind his back and turned, the ball hit his arms that where behind his back and the ref gave a penalty

Don't you think that the VAR puts pressure on the ref to change the decision Mr BJ? As he is walking to the screen, the yank VAR guy  was telling him down the ear-piece what his own view was and therefore by the time the ref saw the slo-mo with Poulsen's arm in the air he was possibly swayed by this. Isn't it Law 12 that states a penalty should only be given for deliberate hand ball?

I actually think VAR has been quite useful in this tourno, but this is an example of where it has a derogatory effect....still, it cleaned out the Danish clean sheets which helps my fantasy team:thumbsup:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah I get it. You read reports, made your mind up and then tried to back that decision up by saying you watched highlights. I get it

Was VAR used? Yes. Did it reach the right decision? Yes. Case closed....next

just a very honest reply that u requested..make what u want of it.e/s could.nt give a damn!!!!!"""

Just now, wilai said:

Don't you think that the VAR puts pressure on the ref to change the decision Mr BJ? As he is walking to the screen, the yank VAR guy  was telling him down the ear-piece what his own view was and therefore by the time the ref saw the slo-mo with Poulsen's arm in the air he was possibly swayed by this. Isn't it Law 12 that states a penalty should only be given for deliberate hand ball?

You might be right mate, it may sway his decision. Suppose only he knows that. But he has the benefit of seeing it again what he might not have seen in full flow. It's the "deliberate" bit that always causes the debate. Some just say if his arm is in an unnatural position

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

You might be right mate, it may sway his decision. Suppose only he knows that. But he has the benefit of seeing it again what he might not have seen in full flow. It's the "deliberate" bit that always causes the debate. Some just say if his arm is in an unnatural position

At least those naysayers who said it would remove the element of 'pub debates' from footy have well and truly been put in their place!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wilai said:

At least those naysayers who said it would remove the element of 'pub debates' from footy have well and truly been put in their place!

It'll never end the debates, just like we are having and it doesn't in Rugby but hopefully it'll increase the level of correct decision's. Nothing is ever 100% fool proof

4 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

It'll never end the debates, just like we are having and it doesn't in Rugby but hopefully it'll increase the level of correct decision's. Nothing is ever 100% fool proof

Great isn't it!!

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Aussies feeling different about VAR now emoji1.png

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This Aussie doesnt. Never a penalty for me.Leckie heads downwards. Poulsen had no chance of moving his arm away, which was not deliberately in the direction of the ball ,read the rule it has to be intentional. Maybe karma for the decision we didnt get in the France game.

In that game Lucas Hernandes ,left back for Brazil went public, post match, admitting his time wasting, theatrical acts.Admitting he was foxing to run time down.Everyone saw that including the VAR committee why didnt they send the message to the ref ......a yellow card for simulation ?

This current practice of geting a tap on the ankle and rolling around holding the head has to be stopped, its not gamesmanship its cheating, a lower level maybe than diving but a cancer within the game.Refs are instructed to stop play for possible concussion but need help for acts like Hernandes put on.VAR where are you ?

Goal line technology has been a success. VAR on other matters a lottery.

If you need proof look at the rugby tackle on Kane,not a whisper.With VAR the game has not moved on

Will VAR decide the winner of this WC...probably. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Not keen on this ref; bad memories of him - likes to be seen..Happy with him being called over to review the "handball" on VAR but i wouldn't have given it. Jedinak 15 out of 15 pens, brilliant - wasn't happy with kasper sledging, ref should have booked him. Aussies well on top - can they finish it.

I wouldn't have given it either. There was a clear push in the back of one of the Danish defenders immidiately prior to the ball striking the defender's arm, that should have ruled out any penalty regardless of whether or not the contact between hand and ball were deemed worthy of a pen. 

VAR or no VAR, Denmark have got on the end of a very bad decision. Poulsen is also suspended for the last game v France.

BTW, if Denmark and France play out a draw, both go through and stay in the positions they already have. The Aussies can probably get their bags packed.

10 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Mitrovic in a three man hug in the box.

No VAR and no correct penalty decision.

Onwards and downwards.

What a shocker. The 4 blokes in the VAR room must have been playing 3 card brag.

5 minutes ago, champers said:

What a shocker. The 4 blokes in the VAR room must have been playing 3 card brag.

Not making any sense at all, I am surprised nobody is making claims that the possibility of match fixing exists after that debacle!!

I had a penalty in the game bet, Serbia 2-1; 2-2 luckily I saved the day by cashing out my 1 - 1 before Switzerland scored.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Not making any sense at all, I am surprised nobody is making claims that the possibility of match fixing exists after that debacle!!

I had a penalty in the game bet, Serbia 2-1; 2-2 luckily I saved the day by cashing out my 1 - 1 before Switzerland scored.

There will be no suggestions of match fixing from the head of FIFA. Now, where is he from again? And where is FIFA's HQ?

9 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Cost Serbia dear that non decision really doncha think mrboj?

It might have cost Serbia dear (and my mate Paddy ? ) but t'was a great decision for me and my balance bud. 3 correct results yesterday

However, that aside. Yeah, you're right and there needs to be some consistency here. That was as clear a penalty as Harry Kane's was and yet no review. I honestly don't know what instructions these VAR guys are under and it needs to be publicised 

41 minutes ago, champers said:

There will be no suggestions of match fixing from the head of FIFA. Now, where is he from again? And where is FIFA's HQ?

Could you imagine if Italy had been in it and drawn against Swiss. The guys head would have been spinning. Is he more Italian than Swiss or more Swiss than Italian?

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Could you imagine if Italy had been in it and drawn against Swiss. The guys head would have been spinning. Is he more Italian than Swiss or more Swiss than Italian?

He is actually from the German speaking part of Switzerland in the Rhone valley, next town along from where his predecessor Blatter was from. Who'd have thought it?

Had a mate who lived round there and stayed with him on holiday once. We took a train down the valley to see local team Sion (in the French part). Hup Hup Hup Sion!

19 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

It might have cost Serbia dear (and my mate Paddy ? ) but t'was a great decision for me and my balance bud. 3 correct results yesterday

However, that aside. Yeah, you're right and there needs to be some consistency here. That was as clear a penalty as Harry Kane's was and yet no review. I honestly don't know what instructions these VAR guys are under and it needs to be publicised 

This decision cost Serbia a goal and possibly two sendings off...

What about retrospective punishment for cheating?

Does that even exist in this tournament?

Pretty clear that VAR is, for the most part, going to ignore fouls during scrums in the area on set pieces. Not really a surprise. If they tried to adjudicate all of those scrum messes they would be opening Pandora's Box, or a can of worms.

Maybe if a defender grabs a shirt and twirls you around over his head.....:thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Pretty clear that VAR is, for the most part, going to ignore fouls during scrums in the area on set pieces. Not really a surprise. If they tried to adjudicate all of those scrum messes they would be opening Pandora's Box, or a can of worms.

Maybe if a defender grabs a shirt and twirls you around over his head.....:thumbsup:

No Jellybean nothing is clear at all....that's the problem with VAR!

7 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

You touched on the potential for corruption and with four nameless people sitting behind the scenes making vital decisions on games it opens football up to all kinds of shenanigans.

Inconsistency (The main criticism VAR was supposed to address) makes a mockery of the whole procedure. To give a soft penalty, but a penalty none the less, is fine, but then to ignore greater infringements in other games and not even have the ref look at them suggests something is wrong.

I'm a fan of VAR. One area where it could be used to enhance soccer, is to clean up the farcial stage acting for fouls. A couple of yellow cards here and there, and players would soon get the message.

A few nights ago in a match an attacking move was thwarted in the box. As all players started running 50m back up the pitch to get into position, a defender gave an opposition guy a pat on the shoulder as he ran past ... probably with a comment like "stiff shit on that move old chum"

The guy whose shoulder had just been patted immediately went down like a bag of wet cement, as though Mike Tyson had king hit him from behind.

Was a pitiful sight. To see a full grown man fall over from the wind of another player rushing past him.

The ref saw it, gave no foul, and I'm pretty certain he said "get up you fairy", although in another language it could have been something entirely different.

VAR could really help to clean this nonsense up.

Edited by electric
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, electric said:

I'm a fan of VAR. One area where it could be used to enhance soccer, is to clean up the farcial stage acting for fouls. A couple of yellow cards here and there, and players would soon get the message.

A few nights ago in a match an attacking move was thwarted in the box. As all players started running 50m back up the pitch to get into position, a defender gave an opposition guy a pat on the shoulder as he ran past ... probably with a comment like "stiff shit on that move old chum"

The defender immediately went down like a bag of wet cement, as though Mike Tyson had king hit him from behind.

Was a pitiful sight. To see a full grown man fall over from the wind of another player rushing past him.

The ref saw it, gave no foul, and I'm pretty certain he said "get up you fairy", although in another language it could have been something entirely different.

VAR could really help to clean this nonsense up.

I saw that and a red card for blatant diving would send a strong message to 

• Like 1