House rentals in residential areas thru online sites. Legal or not?

I live on a quiet soi in Pattaya. No thru traffic, lots of kids, etc. A new Pool Villa home is now offering stays online at all the major sites. Problem is that the guests are noisy late at night (2:30 in the morning!).  This wakes the neighborhood up. My question is about whether his type of rental is legal, is a hotel license required, etc. I note that reported in the BKK Post it is illegal to rent out thru AirBnB. Not sure about the other sites though. I really just want quiet at night so we can sleep. We get up early each day for work. Any suggestions? I haven't approached the owner/manager yet, but I will once I know what his requirements are, and what he's able to do to keep his paying guests quiet. Love to hear any suggestions....

It is not illegal to rent your property online as long as you are following the regulations.

Main one at present is the Hotel Act amendment 2016 which requires reclassification of most buildings and the need to have a Hotel Licence if you are offering less than 30 day rentals.

There is an exemption to this law for Thai nationals owning the property, who can continue renting daily as normal, if it is a residential villa owned and managed in a Thai name. They do require the exemption paper and need to follow other regulations as well as submitting TM30's to Immigration.

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I suspect that there are "drugs and sex" parties going on in that house. Also that the owner is not reporting the income to the revenue department.

Both are illegal and should be reported.

And make sure that report does not come from you, or tie back to you in any way.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I suspect that there are "drugs and sex" parties going on in that house. Also that the owner is not reporting the income to the revenue department.

Both are illegal and should be reported.

What exactly do you base this on?

1 hour ago, sam neuts said:

It is not illegal to rent your property online as long as you are following the regulations.

Main one at present is the Hotel Act amendment 2016 which requires reclassification of most buildings and the need to have a Hotel Licence if you are offering less than 30 day rentals.

There is an exemption to this law for Thai nationals owning the property, who can continue renting daily as normal, if it is a residential villa owned and managed in a Thai name. They do require the exemption paper and need to follow other regulations as well as submitting TM30's to Immigration.

Same does that exemption for Thai nationals only relate to homes, how about GH with room to rent license? Thanks

What exactly do you base this on?

I'm surprised that anyone needs to ask that question. I refer you to endless reports of similar activities in the media.

Of course, the tenants in the house in question may have been holding a late-night religious meeting. But I would not bet on it.

• Sad 1