• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 0

Trang Man Confesses to Shooting Neighbour After Argument Escalates

2. 28

Tik Shiro Car Crash Sparks Demand for Alcohol Test Inquiry

3. 251

Are You A Sexpat Or Do You Ride The Backwards Morality Train?

4. 8

Thailand Live Sunday 13 October 2024

5. 45

Illegal land occupation

6. 251

7. 8

8. 8

9. 8

10. 0

University Student Dies After Collision with Truck in Chonburi

11. 0

Hotel Cleaner Arrested for Stealing From Guests in Patong

12. 251

13. 8

14. 0

AIS Prepay

15. 0

Police Raid Nonthaburi Karaoke Bar Catering to Vietnamese Nationals: Weapons & Drugs Seized

U.S. congressional Republicans seek legislative fix to family separation crisis

webfact

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Wow, talk about twisting arguments and reality.

I have no stake in this, except as a human being. I could care less about the politics of the situation. I feel the politics is just the natural outcome of decades worth of bad political choices leading to someone like Trump. No one would believe it, but he may not even be the worst we will see, but I sure hope he is.

Getting back to the issue at hand.  This article says that prior illegal border crossings were treated as misdemeanours as a matter of policy and that Sessions' new directive charges border enforcement officers to now file crimnal charges as a matter of policy. But there's a disconnect here somewhere for me.

The Executive Branch doesn't make laws or establish penalties for laws broken. That is the purview of Congress. The Executive Branch does have some lattitude with respect to the enforcement of laws and that is usually down to some Executive Order. Now, if it was the policy previously to treat illegal border crossings as a misdemeanour, and it is now the policy to treat it as a felony that has to be proscribed somewhere in some law. If it is in a law, one would think it would say felony and that Executive lattitude chose to enforce it previously as a misdemeanour. Otherwise, we'd already have a stay from a court one would think. What's wrong with that reasoning? Why no stay in this policy?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44503514

46 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

That is the purview of Congress.

Hard to figure out why Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell seem so "impotent"? They have the majority, and one assumes Stephen Miller Fat Nixon will not veto their legislation?

I guess Paul Ryan isn't afraid to throw away the remaining scraps of his dignity just to remain Speaker for the remainder of his term?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Hard to figure out why Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell seem so "impotent"? They have the majority, and one assumes Stephen Miller Fat Nixon will not veto their legislation?

I guess Paul Ryan isn't afraid to throw away the remaining scraps of his dignity just to remain Speaker for the remainder of his term?

I don't think Ryan's the problem in this case. It is my understanding the Republican House has presented two new Bills, one more restrictive, one more a compromise Bill. I believe Trump said he would sign either one. The problem as I understand it rests in The Senate which doesn't favor either Bill. Hopefully they can reconcile something.  We seem to be witnessing the disintegration of both major parties.

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I don't think Ryan's the problem in this case. It is my understanding the Republican House has presented two new Bills, one more restrictive, one more a compromise Bill. I believe Trump said he would sign either one. The problem as I understand it rests in The Senate which doesn't favor either Bill. Hopefully they can reconcile something.  We seem to be witnessing the disintegration of both major parties.

Why exactly is this proof of the Democratic party disintegrating?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Trump, as we know, has the power to sign an executive order ending these abuses now.

He signs executive orders freely and without concern on other matters.

Why does he sit and do nothing now?

10 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Nyet, as Fat Nixon would say.

The House GOP says their new bill bans separating families at the border. That’s a lie.

The House’s “compromise” immigration bill doesn’t ban family separation — it just allows kids to be detained like adults.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/6/15/17467490/children-separated-parents-bill-congress

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump, as we know, has the power to sign an executive order ending these abuses now.

He signs executive orders freely and without concern on other matters.

Why does he sit and do nothing now?

Because he's a zero sum thinker who like s to link outcomes of various issues to each other and then turns up the heat to a point where no one can stand it. He seems to revel in it. Probably a psycopath.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Nyet, as Fat Nixon would say.

The House GOP says their new bill bans separating families at the border. That’s a lie.

The House’s “compromise” immigration bill doesn’t ban family separation — it just allows kids to be detained like adults.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/6/15/17467490/children-separated-parents-bill-congress

Maybe that's why the Senate doesn't favor either Bill. I don't know.

9 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

What would that change? Trump is only guilty of "strict adherence to immigration laws." That makes him an a-hole. I think even his supporters know that about him.

If he didn't adhere to immigration laws the folks would be calling him an "autocratic authoritarian".

This is Congress' job to fix. I hope they fix it soon, humanely and justly.

It was a mean calculation by Congress, on both sides of the aisle, to use these people as electoral fodder .

Trump has congress by the short and curly's, if he where to step down perhaps some of the more moderate members of congress could pass something that was bipartisan.

I may not like it but I do know the parents who take their children across

the border illegally know they will be separated from them. Don't do

the crime if you can't do the time is the thought that comes to mind. They are

safe in Mexico until the US comes up with much-needed immigration

reform. This really needs to include a new work visa program. Give Trump

his wall, compromise, work together to find a solution. 

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

I may not like it but I do know the parents who take their children across

the border illegally know they will be separated from them. Don't do

the crime if you can't do the time is the thought that comes to mind. They are

safe in Mexico until the US comes up with much-needed immigration

reform. This really needs to include a new work visa program. Give Trump

his wall, compromise, work together to find a solution. 

Virtually all of the people seeking asylum on the southern border are not Mexican.

A zero policy on illegal immigrants has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with separating children from their parents.   The law does not mandate where or how the families are to be detained (or that they must be detained).   If detention is used, they can be housed as one unit.