Mindfulness, Bliss, And Beyond

camerata

This new book by Ajahn Brahm is one of the most inspiring I've read in the last couple of years. It covers the technique of using the jhanas to reach enlightenment. In fact Ajahn Brahm maintains that the Buddha discovered jhana and that it is essential for reaching enlightenment. For that reason, it's probably going to be a controversial book to some extent. In his foreword, Jack Kornfield politely disagrees that jhana is the only way, but I think Ajahn Brahm makes a good case at least for jhana being the fastest way.

:o Thanks to both of you...pardon my senior moment with regards to the title being implicit in the thread, my dukkha was intense and my nibbana far away...still dealing with the annica and the annita...whoooa, the path is tricky is it not, and my Pali needs attention...but thanks for your mettah...Dukkha

This new book by Ajahn Brahm is one of the most inspiring I've read in the last couple of years. It covers the technique of using the jhanas to reach enlightenment. In fact Ajahn Brahm maintains that the Buddha discovered jhana and that it is essential for reaching enlightenment. For that reason, it's probably going to be a controversial book to some extent. In his foreword, Jack Kornfield politely disagrees that jhana is the only way, but I think Ajahn Brahm makes a good case at least for jhana being the fastest way.

Luang Ta Maha Bua has always maintained the same thing.

The best arguments I've heard to the contrary (that jhanas aren't efficient/necessary) come from Abhidhammists such as Aj Sujin Boriharnwan. Seems like in recent decades the pendulum has swung towards mindfulness, e.g., influential teachings of Aj Tong Sirimangalo.

Perhaps it varies according to personal cognitive style/aptitude. :o

the first 5 chapters of this book are avaialbe for free dl on the website,