Multimillion-baht facelift washes away at neglected Yim Yom Beach

Rimmer

Multimillion-baht facelift washes away at neglected Yim Yom Beach

image.png

PATTAYA:--Four years after Pattaya poured tens of millions of baht into renovating Yim Yom Beach, the Pratamnak Hill shoreline is a mess again, a victim of neglected maintenance.

A broken footpath, crumbling concrete walls, burned out streetlights and piles of trash have spoiled the beach once known as a bit of secluded nature.

Pattaya in 2014 launched a renovation of Yim Yom Beach following a major storm in 2013 that heavily damaged a pavilion there. A new sala was built under the 600-million-baht refurbishment of Jomtien Beach while city workers paved a new sidewalk, filled in holes and built walls to block storm runoff.

Local vendors said some concrete structures built and footpaths laid in 2014 were put in the wrong places, contributing to flooding that ate away their foundations.

Despite all the money poured into the initial facelift, apparently none has been spent in the ensuing years on maintenance.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-06-22

Interesting dynamics leading up to these kinds of end-states.

A number of years ago, I drove around exploring the surrounding rural area where I live, and came across an impressive concrete flood control canal similar to the one below but much bigger/wider.  The top area on both sides was still dirt, so it appeared to me the work crews either didn't finish it properly, or they weren't done yet; although I didn't see any equipment or men around.  They could have been elsewhere, it was a very large project spanning many kilometers in both directions from where I was standing.

image.png.369c1e1b5bf382b689f91f9db6aedbee.png

I was driving over the same bridge months later and it looked like a bomb had gone off.  Shockingly large sections of the concrete side walls had collapsed and broken apart, obvious that rainwater invaded from the unimproved dirt top areas, eroding the earthen foundation behind and under the concrete.

Dunno, maybe they ignored thousands of years of knowledge and experience, and didn't let the fill settle long enough, or they started too late in the year, or simply got behind schedule, stretched thin, and got caught out by rain season.  I wondered if political pressure played a part as money was being thrown at infrastructure improvement projects, and in the desire to show "The People" all the good works being done for them.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Despite all the money poured into the initial facelift, apparently none has been spent in the ensuing years on maintenance.

Of course not, it has been more wisely used for cars, houses, mia noi's.......Watches, holidays.......the list is endless....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

A number of years ago, I drove around exploring the surrounding rural area where I live, and came across an impressive concrete flood control canal similar to the one below but much bigger/wider.  The top area on both sides was still dirt, so it appeared to me the work crews either didn't finish it properly, or they weren't done yet; although I didn't see any equipment or men around.  They could have been elsewhere, it was a very large project spanning many kilometers in both directions from where I was standing.

I was driving over the same bridge months later and it looked like a bomb had gone off.  Shockingly large sections of the concrete side walls had collapsed and broken apart, obvious that rainwater invaded from the unimproved dirt top areas, eroding the earthen foundation behind and under the concrete.

Dunno, maybe they ignored thousands of years of knowledge and experience, and didn't let the fill settle long enough, or they started too late in the year, or simply got behind schedule, stretched thin, and got caught out by rain season.  I wondered if political pressure played a part as money was being thrown at infrastructure improvement projects, and in the desire to show "The People" all the good works being done for them.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

You must live near me....Exactly the same thing happened here..what a waste of money and effort.....

Civic Pride in Thailand lasts just long enough to cut-the-ribbons and take some picture.  It's downhill from there.

In our Amphur the big-wigs had a grand Eco-Day with all the pomp and splendor.  1000 saplings were planted along the highway by school children and eco-minded volunteers starting about 100 meters south of our home.  That was about 2 years ago.  After the planting no one tended the trees.  The weeds along the roads choked them out of sunlight.  Two years later there may be a dozen that actually are still growing out of all those planted. 

Civic Pride Thai-style man.  Lasts for about 1 day and a news cycle.  :dry:

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, 55Jay said:

thats not a canal IT IS A DRAINAGE DITCH

It is pretty easy to understand the thinking of much of the Thai culture regarding business in Govt and elsewhere. Most of them always go for instant gratification and quick money. They do not think very far ahead. So environmental impact? NOT A CONCERN. Enough water and sewer capacity for thousands of condo rooms? NOT A CONCERN just build and sell and get the quick money. Public infrastructure projects are done over and over ON THE CHEAP. It is the appearance of concern and addressing problems that is important. NOT ACTUALLY PROVIDING A LONG TERM SOLUTION

If you keep in mind that Thais always go for the quick money and instant gratification then you know who you are dealing with. I've been coming to Pattaya, Jomtien and Bangkok for years. The development in these areas is so out of control there is NO WAY IT WILL BE SUSTAINABLE. It will go badly and this place will be a real ghetto and NOT A GREAT PLACE FOR HOLIDAY in the coming years. Buyer beware.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1

The problem with the public sector here producing any kind of quality public works projects is that, if they're done right, they don't need to be redone and redone and redone... etc etc...

So obviously, there's no financial incentive in that. No repeat bribes to be made. No repeat tea money. No repeat cuts taken out of the construction budget. And of course, no subsequent repair and repair and repair contracts to be awarded -- with all the above elements -- after the earlier ones have failed.

From a Thai perspective, it probably makes perfect sense. Cheap and lousy is GOOD!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 1:52 PM, Redline said:

The whole country.  They still haven’t figured out that maintenance actually saves money ?  

its not just maintenance, its that anyone, even the vendors they talked to in the article, can see that they didnt design and build it right in the first place

• Like 2