Bullying of LGBT youth still pervasive in Thai schools

snoop1130

Bullying of LGBT youth still pervasive in Thai schools

By Taylor McAvoy, Contributor

lgbthead-696x464.jpg

Burapha University lecturer Kangwan Fongkaew shares his research on how LGBTI people are portrayed in Thai media Thursday at a conference on LGBT issues at the Amari Watergate Hotel in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — As an openly gay man, Kangwan Fongkaew experienced a range of abuse as a child; from being called names, to being pushed around and even forced to play football by his teachers and peers because his family wanted him to act more like a “man.”

His parents called him “deviant” and took him to hormone therapy, psychologists and even ghost doctors all in an effort to change who he really was at heart.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/06/22/bullying-of-lgbt-youth-still-pervasive-in-thai-schools/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-6-22

Hormone therapists, psychologists and ghost doctors. All of who agree to help, presumably told Mom and Dad they could help, and presumably took money for trying - unsuccssfully, predictably. I wonder if they tried the local wat, that's what the fundies in the USA used to do. Worth a try I suppose, it's only money.

They weren't Thais by any chance?

Edited by KiwiKiwi

8 hours ago, DrTuner said:

LGTBi? Is that like the latest sports model?

I'm not up on the latest deviant-descriptive initialisms, but the article used:  LGBTI  (where the "I" stands for Intersex). I've supplied the hyperlink; you can do the research.

Edited by MaxYakov

18 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

But, in the workplace, well in Thailand it is rife. My life ruined by bullys there. Ruined

Your life ruined by thai bullies??? Guess I have to return the question. Are you okay?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

I'm not up on the latest deviant-descriptive initialisms, but the article used:  LGBTI  (where the "I" stands for Intersex). I've supplied the hyperlink; you can do the research.

They are not deviant nor is it a descriptive initialism. For not being up on that community...you seemed to spend a lot of time researching. It is an anacronym to describe a large community of amazing people. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoNowWhat said:

They are not deviant nor is it a descriptive initialism. For not being up on that community...you seemed to spend a lot of time researching. It is an anacronym to describe a large community of amazing people. 

Without getting into any moral judgements, and while deviant may have been insensitive, it is an initialism, not an acronym. I would argue it is descriptive as well, therefore descriptive initialism is a completely reasonable statement.

What LGBTI is definitely not, is an acronym, as it is not a pronounceable word. I will leave it to you guys to argue over whether the initialism describes a group of deviants or a community of amazing people. But let's at least get the definitions in the English language correct.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

where the "I" stands for Intersex

there is no such a thing as "intersex". this term was made up by western leftists in order to make a base for creating a one more group of interests in "identity politics" model.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, SoNowWhat said:

I stated that I was not up on the "initialisms" describing the community, not the community itself. On the other hand who can keep up with either?!  (or would want to?).

From the link I provided in my reply:

"LGBT, or GLBT, is an initialism that stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. The initialism has become mainstream as a self-designation; it has been adopted by the majority of sexuality and gender identity-based community centers and media in the United States, as well as many other countries"

Maybe you should spend some time yourself researching. You also may want to look at fact vs opinion, and how to tell the difference.

16 hours ago, Eligius said:

I did not realise that there was this degree of bullying of gay / transsexual people in Thai schools. I always thought there was a high degree of tolerance here (compared with how things were in the West when I was growing up). If this report is accurate, then it is sad and a cause for concern. Bullying is always a horrible phenomenon and should be severely reprimanded and castigated by teachers. But if some of those teachers are actually giving out textbooks that say gay people are mentally sick - well, there is unlikely to be much hope or help from those quarters ...

Great post

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Bullying of anyone in Thailand is OK by the junta. Bullying is what they know best.

They are the military and military people are bully type people simply by nature. 

So trump is a military junta? Bullying is certainly what he knows and does best

Bullying of this sort is pervasive all over the world.

In south america, russia and eastern europe anti  lbgt sentiment is epidemic.

My experience with thais is that they are very friendly understanding people. Yes the older generation are in some instances perplexed but that is worldwide.

Thaksin ( both ) were much bigger bullies than this junta ever was or is.

But you knew that

Edited by Expatthailover

2 hours ago, Matt96 said:

there is no such a thing as "intersex". this term was made up by western leftists in order to make a base for creating a one more group of interests in "identity politics" model.

Whether or not you choose to believe that the term may be used for political reasons, the UN accepts the definition: 

Intersex people are born with sex characteristics (including genitals, gonads and chromosome patterns) that do not fit typical binary notions of male or female bodies.

Intersex is an umbrella term used to describe a wide range of natural bodily variations. In some cases, intersex traits are visible at birth while in others, they are not apparent until puberty. Some chromosomal intersex variations may not be physically apparent at all.

These are not common variations and most occur about one in a thousand people (Klinefelter's syndrome, Turner's syndrome for 2 examples).  Androgen insensitivity syndrome occurs about 1 in 13,000 births.  In this later case, the person is genetically male but the body does not respond to testosterone and other male hormones.  The person is a fairly typical girl, usually becomes a very attractive a feminine-looking woman but never menstruates.  On investigation, she has testes inside the body not ovaries, no uterus.

53 minutes ago, DM07 said:

The term "intesex" was "made up" by scientists and psychologists...not western leftists.

it was made up by leftists who uses some "scientists" as an instrument to impose a false narrative. same as they created global warming hoax. scientists get grants, PhDs, jobs, and leftists get base to impose carbon quotas.

54 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Science discovers new things everyday and then we have to adjust our view of the world!

its  not about discovery. discovery is the fact that can be scientifically checked. google "popper criteria" to know more.

and "intersex" idea is just a term to convince a group of people that they are oppressed minority and therefore should vote for leftists (who call themselves democrats in the US)

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

it was made up by leftists who uses some "scientists" as an instrument to impose a false narrative. same as they created global warming hoax. scientists get grants, PhDs, jobs, and leftists get base to impose carbon quotas.

its  not about discovery. discovery is the fact that can be scientifically checked. google "popper criteria" to know more.

and "intersex" idea is just a term to convince a group of people that they are oppressed minority and therefore should vote for leftists (who call themselves democrats in the US)

?

34 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

... "intersex" idea is just a term to convince a group of people that they are oppressed minority and therefore should vote for leftists (who call themselves democrats in the US)

It seems to me that the new coinage, 'intersex', is simply a new verbal take on what always used to be called 'hermaphrodite'.

Living for decades in the West, I hardly ever encountered (at least, not knowingly) a hermaphrodite or transsexual person. Perhaps they did not feel free to express their inner feelings or anatomical differences (prejudice was monumentally high). In Thailand, by contrast, it's almost impossible (if one lives in BKK) not to encounter transsexuals (nowadays called 'transgender' for some reason) in one's everyday life. 

I think people should be free to be who they feel they are and not be spat at (metaphorically and literally) for who they believe they are. They are not really hurting other people, as far as I can see (unless we are talking about those notorious gangs of transsexual robbers - but robbers can come in all shapes and forms).

I don't think the transsexuals/ intersexuals/ transgenders are doing any real harm to anyone (except possibly themselves, due to excessive bio-chemical intake) - unlike fake Thai PMs and autocrats - who really are doing a tremendous amount of damage to the people of the country; and those autocrats are not leftists, by any stretch of the imagination. Smashing of basic human rights can come from the Left (doctrinaire Communism) and the Right (fascism), equally. We only have one freedom to lose - and it does not matter from which direction the rights smasher comes!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

leftist cry is music for me))

Yeah...I am not crying!

You are way to annoying to cry about your BS!

But then again: I might be crying for the fate of humanity...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

I don't think the transsexuals/ intersexuals/ transgenders are doing any real harm to anyone

actually they do. children in order to develop behavior patterns according to their biological sex should see the right role models of man and woman.

according to statistics the majority of homosexual men are raised without fathers or in families where father's role is diminished.

in Thailand sometimes 9 years old boys start to take hormones. do you really believe that 9 y o boy can make a decision about this?

• Confused 1