Difficulty Transferring Money.

Thanks to all who have replied to me. I tried again yesterday (Sat) with putting my name in the appropiate place, the money has left my UK account, but has not been returned by the Bangkok bank like yesterday. I am taking this as a positive sign

It is now 8am Sun and the money is not yet in my Thai Bangkok Bank account, I am hoping that it is because it is the weekend. Previously, I got it within a few hours.

• Like 1

Took me about two weeks to figure this out with my bank. My bank had to send two ACH deposits to Bangkok Bank ( less than 50 baht each deposit) and then I had to verify the deposit amounts with my bank. Once I did that all ACH transfers now are smooth to Bangkok Bank and cheaper than SWIFT. The reason for the deposit verification steps is to prevent fraud or a mistake in transfers from your bank to Bangkok Bank. But the problem is your bank not Bangkok Bank IMO.  Communicate with your bank to see if this is your issue. Good luck. 

36 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Took me about two weeks to figure this out with my bank. My bank had to send two ACH deposits to Bangkok Bank ( less than 50 baht each deposit) and then I had to verify the deposit amounts with my bank. Once I did that all ACH transfers now are smooth to Bangkok Bank and cheaper than SWIFT. The reason for the deposit verification steps is to prevent fraud or a mistake in transfers from your bank to Bangkok Bank. But the problem is your bank not Bangkok Bank IMO.  Communicate with your bank to see if this is your issue. Good luck. 

I have already been in touch with my UK bank, they have a new chatline facility which is great, but my UK bank would not have released the money which they did originally.

2 hours ago, thomaskbland said:

the best way to transfer money to Thailand is through Transferwise.  I have been using them for years. their fees are low. and you get the proper exchange rates.. takes two day only. Never any problems.. check it out 

Someone gave me a link to Transferwise, but unless I have missed something, I'm not sure how it works, I gave them my email and a password, but have not heard from them.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Someone gave me a link to Transferwise, but unless I have missed something, I'm not sure how it works, I gave them my email and a password, but have not heard from them.

Where do Transferwise send the money too, they never asked for my Thai bank details.

32 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Where do Transferwise send the money too, they never asked for my Thai bank details.

They must have it. They are good, but even they can’t work on telepathy...

They have ‘local agents’ who pay bank to bank within Thailand. Your Thai bank details would have been supplied by you at set up.

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

They must have it. They are good, but even they can’t work on telepathy...

They have ‘local agents’ who pay bank to bank within Thailand. Your Thai bank details would have been supplied by you at set up.

No, they never asked, after I filled in my details, name, address, UK bank account number, a notice came up saying 'confirm", I clicked on it.

and that was that.

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No, they never asked, after I filled in my details, name, address, UK bank account number, a notice came up saying 'confirm", I clicked on it.

and that was that.

Obviously you will need it if you do make a transfer.

You can have multiple accounts.

and that was that.

They only need your Thai bank details when you send money. They are currently verifying your details and  you should hear from them once this is done.

and that was that.

Obviously you will need it if you do make a transfer.

You can have multiple accounts.

53 minutes ago, rhodie said:

They only need your Thai bank details when you send money. They are currently verifying your details and  you should hear from them once this is done.

Good, I hope your right. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Good, I hope your right. Thanks.

Possum, if you log in you will find a menu on the left hand side.... you want "recipients"...... there you can add as many bank details as you like.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Possum, if you log in you will find a menu on the left hand side.... you want "recipients"...... there you can add as many bank details as you like.

I have done just as you said, but just before you click to "confirm", it says 

"Value length must be no more than 8 characters".

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I have done just as you said, but just before you click to "confirm", it says 

"Value length must be no more than 8 characters".

??

Click on recipients and then 'bank account' and you should see this:-

Add your bank account

Currency

Select recipient type
Personal
Business

Full name of the account holder
Please fill out this field

Recipient bank details

IBAN

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

??

Add your bank account

Currency

Select recipient type

Personal

Business

Recipient bank details

IBAN

That might be it, it comes to where you are asked what the money is for, I put living expenses.

Then it says "continue", I click "continue", then nothing happens.

I will wait the ten hours and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

??

Add your bank account

Currency

Select recipient type

Personal

Business

Recipient bank details

IBAN

I think I have made a mistake, I missed out IBAN. Will I start from the beginning again?

I agree that Transferwise is an excellent way to send money. However it is not always the cheapest. It depends on how much you are sending. For £10,000 Bangkok Bank is a flat £20 no matter how much you send but with Transferwise the cost would be £56. I think up to about £3,500 Transferwise is cheaper.

17 minutes ago, jimn said:

I agree that Transferwise is an excellent way to send money. However it is not always the cheapest. It depends on how much you are sending. For £10,000 Bangkok Bank is a flat £20 no matter how much you send but with Transferwise the cost would be £56. I think up to about £3,500 Transferwise is cheaper.

Hi Jimn, a question > Does Bangkok Bank also make usee of the actual conversion rate like TransferWise does (midpoint between buying/selling)? 

Because the service fee is one thing, but the conversion rate used makes the biggest difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Jimn, a question > Does Bangkok Bank also make usee of the actual conversion rate like TransferWise does (midpoint between buying/selling)? 

Because the service fee is one thing, but the conversion rate used makes the biggest difference.

Bangkok Bank has a pretty good actual conversion rate which is better than their atm rate. It is online and updated regularly. Not as good as SuperRichTH but pretty darn good. 

5 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Bangkok Bank has a pretty good actual conversion rate which is better than their atm rate. It is online and updated regularly. Not as good as SuperRichTH but pretty darn good. 

Agreed. The rate you get is the TT rate. It can be checked daily. Not as good as Transferwise but not far off to make a big difference. Anyone using Bangkok Bank make sure you send money in Stirling and let the bank convert the money in Thailand.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Just had a look and TransferWise is offering 43.6 baht to the pound and Bangkok Bank is 43.2 at TT rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1