What non-Thai foods did you start eating after you moved to Thailand?

Jingthing

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

A few mating pairs escaped when being transported from Scotland to the Dusit Zoo.

Of course, the haggis is a protected species. If you see one on a menu here, it's almost certainly "poached".

The haggi are like Scottish alpacas, innit?

The first time I tried Chinese Zhajiangmian (fried bean sauce fresh noodles Beijing style) was in Thailand and I've had it multiple times since.

However, there is a similar Korean style Chinese dish that I had been eating before Thailand. But they are different. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhajiangmian

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

A few mating pairs escaped when being transported from Scotland to the Dusit Zoo.

Of course, the haggis is a protected species. If you see one on a menu here, it's almost certainly "poached".

This is a rare photo of one in captivity.

images-47.jpg

KFC in thailand is the best KFC on the planet. I used to live on the stuff as a kid, but stopped after their product went downhill. Chicken became smaller and harder and too oily. But I have found KFC in Thailand to be bigger pieces and softer with considerably less oil. Probably because of the all the hormones and god knows what else they put in them as they grow - but they are really nice. ?

• Like 1

I never ate Japanese and love all of it now, even make sushi myself.

We tried all the pastasauces from Prego (makro), didn't know them before but the red tomatosauce of them is the absolute best.

Carbonara and so we tried but wasn't as good.

I never ate sticky rice but i like it with sweet mango and coconutsauce.

Durian i once tasted before going to Thailand and didn't like it, now i love it and buy it all the time.

Pad Thai, indomee, mihoen i didn't eat much before but since in Thailand i love it.

Fish skin  with bones i wouldn't eat for some years but now i can...there's no real fillet anyway so i have no choice. In Thailand i pay the same as in the west (where you get real fillet) but have to scratch the meat from the bones/skin/tail.

• Like 1

In laos I had these spring rolls but they were different to spring rolls I eat here. Maybe healthier and cruncher too.

They were wrapped in a noodle type wrap but roasted to make them crunchy. They were great. 

The Vietnamese dish I love is the chopped pork accompanied by chopped:

Veg and fruit
Chillies

You grab the noodle paper (name unknown to me) grab a piece of pork some veg and chopped Mango and a spoon of sauce dripped over and wrap it.

Anyone know the name of this food?

Probably you mean Bun Cha.

2 hours ago, CLW said:
21 hours ago, Rc2702 said:
In laos I had these spring rolls but they were different to spring rolls I eat here. Maybe healthier and cruncher too.

They were wrapped in a noodle type wrap but roasted to make them crunchy. They were great. 

The Vietnamese dish I love is the chopped pork accompanied by chopped:

Veg and fruit
Chillies

You grab the noodle paper (name unknown to me) grab a piece of pork some veg and chopped Mango and a spoon of sauce dripped over and wrap it.

Anyone know the name of this food?

Probably you mean Bun Cha.

Not likely. Sounds like Nam Neung to me. Bun Cha is served with thin rice noodles. Nam Neung is served with flat pieces of rice PAPER as described which you use to wrap up the foods.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

That may be so but massala art is a top notch Indian restaurant.

If you are looking for excellent Indian food, do try 'Charcoal'. It is in Fraser Suites in Sukhumvit 11. A bit pricey, in the same range as Masala Art but classier ambiance and definitely  much better food IMO.

• Thanks 1

I hold a UK passport being born on RAF Base Changi and lived in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the UK as a child before immigrating to Canada. With my father being from Northern Ireland and my mother born in Vietnam(French) we had an extreme palate compared to out Canadian meat/potatoes/veg standard fare neighbors. From nasi goerang, satay, and numerous Indian curries at home and as Canada's restaurant food fare broadened I was not able to think of a single, foreign to Thailand food that I have not had before I came to Thailand. Then it dawned on me. I had never had the full English Breakfast before I came to Thailand. Of course, I have had the individual items on the plate, but never the dish itself. I now enjoy this once a week or so at RETOX. Besides that, nothing else I can think of.

4 hours ago, Ulic said:

I hold a UK passport being born on RAF Base Changi and lived in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the UK as a child before immigrating to Canada. With my father being from Northern Ireland and my mother born in Vietnam(French) we had an extreme palate compared to out Canadian meat/potatoes/veg standard fare neighbors. From nasi goerang, satay, and numerous Indian curries at home and as Canada's restaurant food fare broadened I was not able to think of a single, foreign to Thailand food that I have not had before I came to Thailand. Then it dawned on me. I had never had the full English Breakfast before I came to Thailand. Of course, I have had the individual items on the plate, but never the dish itself. I now enjoy this once a week or so at RETOX. Besides that, nothing else I can think of.

What's in your full English?