Never been to Issan. What's worth seeing in Khon Kaen?

thaibeachlovers

My wife is stuck in our house about 1 km from downtown Amphur Mueang, Loei until I get back over there.  Sits on the porch eating chicken feet, drinking a beer and pining for her man. Stares out into space.  Nice view of the swamp though.  555

image.jpeg.51b2822c6b5eed3c563e4a01c19a3d01.jpeg  image.jpeg.981f4cef0ed4e8aefdcdbe2b8433fe3d.jpeg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Do yourself a favor and watch you tube vids instead and save your air miles.
All the farangs in that ghost town are married and are pretty much locked in

Why would he want to sleep with them?

16 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

Do me a favour, it's as boring as h*ll.

You must be a miserable person to have missed such good food, live music and the whole place full of cute Beer Chang girls in skimpy outfits running around to fill everyones glass.  Best plah neung manao ever! Please stay home as no one wants you around anyway.

13 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

And if you want to go to Ubon Ratchathani you can visit me Now that is something special. I consider myself a rare specimen?:stoner:

Colin would have to use all his Frequent "Layer" Miles to make that trip.

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

My wife is stuck in our house about 1 km from downtown Amphur Mueang, Loei until I get back over there.  Sits on the porch eating chicken feet, drinking a beer and pining for her man. Stares out into space.  Nice view of the swamp though.  555

image.jpeg.51b2822c6b5eed3c563e4a01c19a3d01.jpeg  image.jpeg.981f4cef0ed4e8aefdcdbe2b8433fe3d.jpeg

Well give her something to do, like varnish that door....and buy her a chair to sit on....5170.gif.ebab4ba89f7513342de20338c1e2ebba.gif

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

You must be a miserable person to have missed such good food, live music and the whole place full of cute Beer Chang girls in skimpy outfits running around to fill everyones glass.  Best plah neung manao ever! Please stay home as no one wants you around anyway.

I have been to those Beer Chang girls where they fil your glasses up and great food and music Loved it 

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Well give her something to do, like varnish that door....and buy her a chair to sit on....5170.gif.ebab4ba89f7513342de20338c1e2ebba.gif

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Bloody great view That is close to the Laos Border About 8 hours drive from us in Ubonratchathani  Might have to get to be mates with you I was brought up in the countryside love it and i also love beer do you

20 minutes ago, transam said:

15 hours ago, rosco14 said:

It's got great for value, good quality golf courses, but there was no indication in your post of interest in this recreation.   Other than that, this city doesn't offer much.  

No interest in golf at all. I won't even watch it on tv.

Thanks for all the contributors. I'd only have a day there, so given the comments, I might as well go to the beach instead.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, Maradona 10 said:

''I have some airmiles for a free trip to Issan''

it costs about 600 baht from CM but you are only going as you have some free air miles??

What kind of people are on this board, never come across anything like it!

I have some airmiles that I have to use or lose. Never having been to Issan, I thought I might as well go there. However, given the comments on this thread, I'm not going there, so asking on this forum was of great benefit to me. Saved me wasting 3 days.

Thanks to all that gave helpful comments, and a pity that some had to resort to pointless personal insults.

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have some airmiles that I have to use or lose. Never having been to Issan, I thought I might as well go there. However, given the comments on this thread, I'm not going there, so asking on this forum was of great benefit to me. Saved me wasting 3 days.

Thanks to all that gave helpful comments, and a pity that some had to resort to pointless personal insults.

If you listen to folk here slagging off the Isaan area then I am surprised.

Just now, transam said:

If you listen to folk here slagging off the Isaan area then I am surprised.

Not just slagging off the area. Other than having golf courses, I wasn't told of anything worth travelling 2 days and staying one for. My time is better spent elsewhere, apparently.

If Khon Kaen had something worth while for me, someone would have mentioned it. They didn't.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not just slagging off the area. Other than having golf courses, I wasn't told of anything worth travelling 2 days and staying one for. My time is better spent elsewhere, apparently.

If Khon Kaen had something worth while for me, someone would have mentioned it. They didn't.

Depends what one is looking for when traveling around, we all have different ideas...You want beaches and what goes with it then Isaan may not be for some, but if you want to be around folk with a smile and see how they live then that maybe their thing to take on board...

I have traveled around LOS and for sure Isaan folk really are nice to be around in their own area. ...

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Depends what one is looking for when traveling around, we all have different ideas...You want beaches and what goes with it then Isaan may not be for some, but if you want to be around folk with a smile and see how they live then that maybe their thing to take on board...

I have traveled around LOS and for sure Isaan folk really are nice to be around in their own area. ...

I like the beaches, but it was an opportunity to visit an area I've never been to for a day.

Given I live in an area with lots of nice Thais, I don't need to spend 2 days travelling to meet more.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well done lads, another perpetual malcontent has been deflected.

Carry on.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The "sad" emoji was because of the laughing man emojis you included. I was sad because you were apparently making a mockery of my thread.

If you had been serious about visiting, you'd have PMd me, but you didn't so it was just another rather pointless post from the TVF community.

You could have taken up Colins rather magnanimous offer and then BOTH of you could have trucked on up here to Udon as my guest and had the scales further lifted from your eyes.... or given us all a good laugh trying anyway.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I like the beaches, but it was an opportunity to visit an area I've never been to for a day.

Given I live in an area with lots of nice Thais, I don't need to spend 2 days travelling to meet more.

I don't think you understand my post...BUT, that's OK, you will not like Isaan...:stoner:

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The "sad" emoji was because of the laughing man emojis you included. I was sad because you were apparently making a mockery of my thread.

If you had been serious about visiting, you'd have PMd me, but you didn't so it was just another rather pointless post from the TVF community.

Not a pointless post, but you like some others look down on folk in Issan, why?

Never been here, get up and come here and see.

Yes i was serious about you visiting, in the last 3 weeks apart from a few locals, the only person i have seen is Bobby Cullen, a true friend who takes time to visit me every week.

Also i did not make a mockery of your thread, you did that yourself, with your later comments.

Isaan and its major towns grow on you the longer you stay - largely driven by the quality of the people (Isaan and farang) and nowhere near as boring as painted by the bar stool johnny element of TV.com. Some great walking/jogging/biking/cycling areas when you know where to look. Ditto good eating experiences and other entertainment if you are open to looking for something different from the fayre in the obvious tourist cities.

I note that some visitors are of the right mind set to get hooked even on a one week visit (to my local area Ubon/Sisaket at least), but they seem to be the types who have an inquiring and open mind and prepared to find or already have friends locally who can show them around. Might as well stay away if its just a long or short weekend and you haven't established the contacts in advance.

Unfortunately the KK response does seem a little lacklustre and resigned from the couple of pages I've sampled. [Apologies if I missed one of those welcoming and informative 'where to start' posts that I would have expected].

Edit: Just read the posts above on this page - has gone downhill rather a lot - are you really a thai beach lover who wants to come for a day? Maybe go for a reset and tell us what you like to do in CM and what sort of things you're looking for on an away trip to Isaan.

3 hours ago, transam said:
3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I have been through Issan a few times. I don't remember a single thing though. And I wasn't drunk or asleep.

You would if you had heard me.....singing.gif.3065b78236e1b5c7156dab67dedad988.gif

He said that he WASN'T drunk or asleep.

But for TBL maybe we can just say that KK is a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't told of anything worth travelling 2 days and staying one for

Seriously. Try renting a vehicle (or using your own car or m/c) and do a Mekong river run. Start in Loei and finish down near Ubon. Or vice versa. Spend about a week doing it, nice & relaxed, no definitive plans. Plenty of nice stuff to see. Plenty of pleasant riverside large provincial towns and small cities.

Either way, a couple of days flying into KK city, you aint gonna see much except another egg carton large concrete provincial city with lots of traffic.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why don't you fly to Udon and visit Nong Khai.

Thaiwrath your likes/ confused emojis on the thread are puzzling,. as you live in Khonkaen, know all the places there to get drunk, as you yourself have many times, so i would have thought you  would be happy for folk to visit.

Archived