Thai Law: Case Closed On Airbnb. Here’s Why It Won’t Matter.

webfact

24 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

more bullshit . 

who is going to provide the work permit ?

what qualifications are required to obtain that work permit ?

what base salery is attached to that work permit ? 

you sir are a fool .

go check thai labour laws and learn how to read them .

You sir do not know what you are talking about.

I have a registered company and I also have a work permit so I know what is required and it is quite clear that you do not. So I would suggest that instead of calling my posts bullshit because you do not know what is required is to get out of the gumtree and stop getting high on the eucalyptus and do your research.

Thai Law: As a farang you are required to have a work permit if you derive ANY income from inside Thailand and it does not matter where that income comes from as long as it is derived inside Thailand.

So go chew on some more of your drugs

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

This could make it much harder to sell condos.

uuummm..........and why is that??  If you mean it is a selling point to advertise them as an illegal rental via AirBnB then the investor needs to go elsewhere.  I don't particularly like new people roaming around every couple weeks, trying to sneak into the gym (because they don't pay the baht 15K a year to use it) but I know I am helpless to stop it so live and let live.  I make it a point to ignore people pounding on the gym door because they don't have an access key  and if they show up at the window, I just show them mine and point to the Mgrs office.:coffee1:

• Like 1

have stayed in some mid-range hotels in pattaya, settled in for a peaceful night, only to be woken up after midnight when a busload of quality tourists from mainland china arrive, yelling spitting throwing trash screaming into cellphones in the hallways leaving the doors open with ten people playing the teevee at full volume smoking and drinking and yelling to their friends in the room four doors down and don't forget piling their takeaway garbage in the hallway outside.  lovely memories.

i can imagine the wonderful feelings when a few of the owners on your floor of the condominium building where you just bought your unit decide to get in on the action.  such an adventure!  new quality neighbors every few days!  i've always wondered why they always want to move the furniture late at night.  good news for airbnb slumlords, the numbers of quality mainland tourists is up again with no end in sight.

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

uuummm..........and why is that??  If you mean it is a selling point to advertise them as an illegal rental via AirBnB then the investor needs to go elsewhere.

Many projects offer a guaranteed income for 3 to 5 years, so investors buy on that promise.

The project owner also use short term rentals to realise that income.

So I assume now that guaranteed income will disappear from new projects, hence much less people interested.

19 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Many projects offer a guaranteed income for 3 to 5 years, so investors buy on that promise.

The project owner also use short term rentals to realise that income.

So I assume now that guaranteed income will disappear from new projects, hence much less people interested.

Thank You

On 6/25/2018 at 6:53 AM, TGIR said:

We live in a 38 unit condo, all units are at least 180 sq meters with most over 250.  A few months ago we noticed an unusual amount of activity around the pool (we are on the pool deck level), in the garage and elevators.  We soon learned we had two owners renting out their condos on a daily basis using AirB&B. 

For us, a complete disaster.  Our normal experience is light use of the other units except for holidays and family vacations.  Generally we would have but a few people here, mostly older adults.  There were, of course, times when small children and teenagers would have a full day or weekend of screaming and running around, but it was tolerable with just 38 units.

To have just the two units renting daily,  (most rentals were in groups of six or more people, almost always with children) the increase in noise, pool usage, and a constant flow of people in and out of the condo became unbearable very quickly.  

The change to only allow 30 days minimum rentals has been a Godsend.   

If you choose to live with 37 other condos you cannot complain about people using the pool etc if you want quiet  ...move

• Like 1

If a condo association chooses to allow owners to rent their units out on short term basis is an issue for the building association. If the national government chooses to have a law prohibiting short term rentals that is a different matter. 

22 hours ago, travelling wilbury said:

If you choose to live with 37 other condos you cannot complain about people using the pool etc if you want quiet  ...move

We did not choose to live with daily renters.......MYOB

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 2:25 PM, travelling wilbury said:

Your comprehension skills are terrible. You need any help analysing  his post? seemed pretty straight forward to me

• Thanks 1

In the condo where we live (Bangkok)  the rules were just updated at the last AGM  with the , pretty much, unanimous support of the owners who voted.

From now, any owner found to be renting their unit for a period of less than 1 month will be fined on a daily (escalating) basis.  From what I have seen  , if properly enforced,  it should make short term rentals completely uneconomic.

I believe we had just a couple of units (out of 100 plus)  let out in this way, but the  Juristic office now say that they are determined to stamp it out completely, and the vast majority of owners here agree with that. 

In those condo developments  where owners actually live there, at least some of the time, it’s a no brainier. This practice seriously diminishes quality of life. I was informed by our Juristic office that a number of other Bangkok condos will also adopt similar rules, good for them, in my opinion!

On 6/25/2018 at 12:51 AM, ezzra said:

While AirBnB works fine in many countries around the world, Thailand is one of the very few who throws a spanner in the works,

Simply put, the Thai government want to collect due taxes on any such transactions and also to protect the hospitality industry from so called unfair competition, Thailand should evolve with the time and leave something well alone... 

I think you will find the laws predate AirBnb.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:55 PM, webfact said:

After panic erupted among thousands of Airbnb providers worried the days of sweet, tax-free income were over, the company told them Saturday that yes, they are breaking the law.

Yet AirBnB are still listing properties in Thailand... :whistling: 

2 hours ago, BangkokSausage said:

I rent mine out monthly. Renting out nightly is completely insane. You have to be there at all hour's to welcome what are extremely needy people. You do your best and they shit on you for the smallest reasons
Screw that!

Funny and mostly true. But, most of the owners doing ST are not even in town.  They hire agencies or some person to do the work.

With this, the agents nickel and dime the owners.  Many times they have friends or family cleaning up the place charging the owners 350 b. When in reality they are paying their family/friends 100-150 b for one hours work.  Then they take a little off from the laundry plus their agent fee.  Multiply this times 10 or 15 units and the agents are making some decent money.

Edited by bkk6060

9 hours ago, wordchild said:

In the condo where we live (Bangkok)  the rules were just updated at the last AGM  with the , pretty much, unanimous support of the owners who voted.

From now, any owner found to be renting their unit for a period of less than 1 month will be fined on a daily (escalating) basis.  From what I have seen  , if properly enforced,  it should make short term rentals completely uneconomic.

I believe we had just a couple of units (out of 100 plus)  let out in this way, but the  Juristic office now say that they are determined to stamp it out completely, and the vast majority of owners here agree with that. 

In those condo developments  where owners actually live there, at least some of the time, it’s a no brainier. This practice seriously diminishes quality of life. I was informed by our Juristic office that a number of other Bangkok condos will also adopt similar rules, good for them, in my opinion!

Is information like that from an AGM available to people who are long term renting properties in the building, and not owners?

There are still people in the opposite two bedroom to us clearly having short term guests coming in and out, and as I said in another thread, the airbnb website still lists loads of units in our place in Bangkok for daily rental.