EC told to investigate Thaksin’s speech whether it defies political party law

webfact

EC told to investigate Thaksin’s speech whether it defies political party law

By Thai PBS

file3.jpg

The Election Commission has been urged to investigate a speech to Pheu Thai members in Thailand made by fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra via smartphone’s VDO call from London to determine whether he has defied the political party law that bans an outsider from interfering with, dominating or leading a political party.

Mr Suriyasai Katasila, vice dean of the Social Innovative College of Rangsit University, said Sunday that Thaksin’s speech might be deemed as a violation of Sections 28-29 of the political party law which is liable to the dissolution of the Pheu Thai party in accordance with Section 92 of the law.

He said that the three sections are new and were designed to keep political parties independent and free in engaging in political activities in accordance with the wish of the parties and their members and not as a tool of money barons or vested interest groups as were the case in the past.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ec-told-investigate-thaksins-speech-whether-defies-political-party-law/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-06-25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

"..vice dean of the Social Innovative College..."

Hmm....

Right! In Thailand (true land of Orwell), words and phrases mean the opposite of what they overtly state. So 'social innovative college' means: 'educational bastion of the fascist Elite - no change in sight'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Right! In Thailand (true land of Orwell), words and phrases mean the opposite of what they overtly state. So 'social innovative college' means: 'educational bastion of the fascist Elite - no change in sight'.

I rather think that it is a natural form of Orwellianism (if there is such a term) altho' Eric Arthur Blair did work right next door..

What do you think?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

They don't need to ban it Eligius because they are setting up the system to make them irrelevant. The Junta know they can't win and the Dems know they can't win and so they resort to manipulation. This can only be successful for so long as the Thai people will, eventually, have had enough.

Absolutely right, my friend. Yes - the junta have got the whole thing sewn up in their favour. No way can they win honestly. That is clear.

And all this will continue until the sleeping lion rouses itself from its slumber (I mean the entirety of the Thai people - who do actually possess leonine power, if only they would use it ...).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suriyasai Katasila: great to see the PAD are out and about again for the good of the country.

Of course, it'd be even better if he paid up his share of the judgement, so we'd know he really was an honourable man.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

here we go..., progress toward one of the current rulers' goals; stamp out Pheu Thai and let it reform fragmented and weak under various 'thai' and 'love' names

I thought His Thainess was in London recently to personally arrest the Shins. Now it turns out he's in the bouillabaisse in Paris.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

designed to keep political parties independent and free in engaging in political activities in accordance with the wish of the parties and their members and not as a tool of money barons or vested interest groups as were the case in the past.

And in the present.

Former protesters to form political party http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30346812

called the Action Coalition for Thailand:

• Suthep Thaugsuban, who headed the PDRC
  • Suriyasai (formerly key figure in the PDRC)
  • Prasan Marukapitak (former National Reform Assembly member and formerly key figure in the PDRC)
  • Thani Thaugsuban, (former Democrat MP, formerly key figure in the PDRC and Suthep’s younger brother)

Suriyasai's "urging" is a blatant undemocratic political vendetta that should be rejected by the EC or it will show bias, a conflict of interest and abuse of power. Which I'm sure the Thai Constitutional Court will hold perfectly legal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the three sections are new and were designed to keep political parties independent and free in engaging in political activities in accordance with the wish of the parties and their members and not as a tool of money barons or vested interest groups as were the case in the past.

Odd no mention of banning influence of "outsiders" as part of the new law.

While Election Commission secretary general Charungwit Phumma has said that the PTP meeting Thaksin is not illegal, Section  28 of the Political Parties Act apparently bans "outsiders" from interfering with or dominating a political party. The party is prohibited from “consenting” to any interference from someone uninvolved directly. http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/05/07/visiting-thaksin-could-see-pheu-thai-disbanded/

How would the EC prove that the PTP consented to Thaksin's interference and/or dominates the party knowing that such admission would ban the party? However, I'm sure Suriyasai will offer his own testimony to such effect.

• Like 1

It's a bit like trying to ban a Communist party cos they're influenced by Karl Marx. Or a Liberal Party cos of the hidden hand of  John Locke.

Time the EC forms a party and faces the electorate

• Like 1

Actually, I'm very impressed...

It isn't everyone who can dance on their own grave - before they're even buried in it.

Oh to be a fly on the wall when the announcement comes that the major sponsor has changed his mind...

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Almost everybody - scholars, academics, students, businessmen, farmers, journalists, soldiers, Thaksin's friends, Thaksin's enemies - indeed the vast majority of the the Thai people.

It takes a particular kind of prejudice and ignorance to believe that the PTP (even in the event of Thaksin's death) has no reason to exist - as though the Thai people voted for it time and time again for no good reason.One assumes the number is rather small.

Correction.  They voted for it for millions of good reasons.  In fact many, many millions of good reasons.  The honest ones voted because of the 30Baht  medical clinics etc that trounced anything anyone else ever did for the poor here.  He is a crook but we have to admit, a smart one till he got too greedy.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Correction.  They voted for it for millions of good reasons.  In fact many, many millions of good reasons.  The honest ones voted because of the 30Baht  medical clinics etc that trounced anything anyone else ever did for the poor here.  He is a crook but we have to admit, a smart one till he got too greedy.

You might want to re-read more carefully the post of mine on which you have commented.

32 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You might want to re-read more carefully the post of mine on which you have commented.

Sorry. No idea what you are on about.   You took a very complicated and vague way of saying what ever it was you were trying to say. 

And as for  "One assumes the number is rather small."   (the number of what, exactly??) I would ask if I cared now.

But, by now it is a rhetorical question.  So don't bother to try and explain.

13 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Why respect those unjust laws from an unjust junta government who seized power unjustly. Right? 

As an attorney, you should know that the law is the law, whatever good or bad it is! Were the laws any better in the days of your Shins' power? Allow me to doubt it. Were you complaining at that time? Rather the opposite, when I remember well...